Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Issues after reinstalling alternator. Runs rough. ABS/PSM failure. Squeeky below.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
djstepanich
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues after reinstalling alternator. Runs rough. ABS/PSM failure. Squeeky below.

Complete putting the rebuilt alternator back into the 02 996 this weekend. Thanks for everyones help on the bushing issue

Got everything back together and started it up. Saw a few issues:

1) Belt started squeeking after a bit. Checked it and it was hot. Double checked I put it on the right way and all good. Started it up again and the squeak dissapeared. Maybe tension was readjusting??

2) On the second time I started it it started running rough (almost sputtering) and the ABS/PSM failure light came on. My dad was standing at the back and said there was some black smoke but I didn't see it.

Haven't started it again as I thought I would ask for some advice. Any thoughts? Something not installed right after the alternator reinstall?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Darron
Old 04-18-2010, 03:54 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by djstepanich
Complete putting the rebuilt alternator back into the 02 996 this weekend. Thanks for everyones help on the bushing issue

Got everything back together and started it up. Saw a few issues:

1) Belt started squeeking after a bit. Checked it and it was hot. Double checked I put it on the right way and all good. Started it up again and the squeak dissapeared. Maybe tension was readjusting??

2) On the second time I started it it started running rough (almost sputtering) and the ABS/PSM failure light came on. My dad was standing at the back and said there was some black smoke but I didn't see it.

Haven't started it again as I thought I would ask for some advice. Any thoughts? Something not installed right after the alternator reinstall?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Darron
yeah, no doubt!

1. These are self tension belt.... so make sure the tensioner wheel is not jammed and still have its bounce in the spring.

2. check for cracked coils and the electrical around the area you were working on.... you might have knocked something loose.

Quick Reply: Issues after reinstalling alternator. Runs rough. ABS/PSM failure. Squeeky below.