Things to look for when buying a used set of coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:49 PM
rajeshr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Things to look for when buying a used set of coilovers

Hi All,

I have the opportunity to purchase a used set of PSS9's - this set has done about 15000kms (~9500miles). How do I ascertain the condition of these? Is there something I can look for to know whether these are still good?

Additionally, what would be a reasonable amount to pay for a set like this?

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2010, 03:36 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

hey rajeshr

I'm in Vancouver - howdy.

I bought a set of used PSS9 last year but only installed them a few weeks ago. The seller advertised them with 10K miles, but when they arived they looked like they were more used than that. They still seem to work fine. I installed them myself (ez) but had the heights/corner balance/alignment done by a pro. He mentioned one side was more "collapsed" than the other but said he had no problem dailing in the corner balance he wanted. Not sure what he meant by that....

Like I said...they feel great, a million times better than stock (no exageration even)

The threads on the housings get corroded real fast because they are aluminum and the adjusting collars are steel. Cathodic reaction. If your threads are clean then that's a good sign.

The detents on the tension adjusters are really hard to feel on mine. That is to say when I twist from 1 to 9 I can only feel about three clicks, and on one I don't feel any at all. I've heard this is a sign of wear, but I've also heard that's normal for PSS9. Suffice it to say if you can feel distinct smart little clicks then that's agood thing.

Drop me a line if you want or need install tips.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

make sure you get the Orginal Bill of Sale for Warranty
Old 04-14-2010, 08:44 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Easiest way is to find a shop with a shock dyno. They will be able to tell you if they need to be rebuilt. Even new shocks can be bad. My brand new set of PSS9's for the race car arrives and went straight on the shock dyno. Low and behold, one of the shocks was bad. Sent back to Bilstein immediately.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 PM
rajeshr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys for the responses. I've pulled the trigger on a used set of PSS9's from an (almost) local guy!

I pick them next Tuesday and am getting them installed on Wednesday!

LVDell - do most shops have a shock dyno?
Zookie - Is the warranty transferable? I checked the Bilstein site and the warranty is for the first owner/first car only!
Jasper - thanks for the offer, but I don't have the time (or skill) to install them myself.
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2010, 08:21 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Not necessarily. I'd call and ask them. The last thing you want is a bad shock.

One of my local friends bought a set of used PSS9's and had them installed at the race shop I use and they threw 'em on the shock dyno and low and behold 2 of them needed to be rebuilt. No big deal as it's about $80 a shock at Bilstein.

Quick Reply: Things to look for when buying a used set of coilovers