Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 steering wheels shaking even after tire balancing: SOLVED !

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

During my PSS upgrade I was thinking about camber plates and other fancy alignment stuff, but after this alignment problem, I am not sure my local shop can handle complex alignments. Are camber plates really useful unless you are an experienced driver ? I am fast but nothing like a track rat
Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 PM
EastBay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Set your front toe to 0 and forget about it, you now have zero camber on the front, good for tire wear. You really don't need much camber unless you are tracking it. I like as little caster as I can get for around town.

Looks like you got a 'nice' street alignment the last time.

I bought my own alignment tools since it is so hard to find shops/people that can figure this simple stuff out.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:12 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EastBay
I bought my own alignment tools since it is so hard to find shops/people that can figure this simple stuff out.

Funny you mention that, as I was about to do the same ! can you list what equipment you have ? I was under the impression that you need :
- 4 turning plate, BTW my shop had real nice turning plate in the front but simple circular piece of wood under the rear tire and it seems to do the trick.
- a system with perpendicular bars and string
- some 'stuff' you place on the rim, which usually come with a digital level

right ?

Any good DYI home alignment ?
Old 06-12-2010, 07:54 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper

I've been doing this for some time Philoo and you have reached the point that all of us reach eventually....yes it's time to stop telling the wife what you are doing and how much it is costing. Trust me, you and yor wife will be happier for it.

Agreed! My wife had no idea I spent $2,800 for tires for my 996 in 3 years of ownership. What she doesn't know won't hurt me!

BTW, I already have amassed $17.23 in my "secret fund" to get another Porsche! Another 55 years and I'm good to go!
Old 06-12-2010, 12:33 PM
EastBay
Instructor

I bought a Smart Racing Smart Camber tool along with a set of Longacre toe plates, works for me.

Over on Pelican there is a good thread on DIY alignments
Old 06-12-2010, 02:33 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EastBay
I bought a Smart Racing Smart Camber tool along with a set of Longacre toe plates, works for me.
did you compare your home made adjustment with a professional machine ? I wonder how accurate you can get with those tools. I have to say that the smart camber tool and the longacre plate seems pretty easy to use... interesting
Old 06-13-2010, 01:46 AM
EastBay
Instructor

I go by drive-ability (you know this part after your travails) and tire wear. Accurate is a relative term in alignments. It is not rocket science at all.

Pretty easy stuff, toe has the biggest drive-ability factor, camber is just the tire lean, and caster you usually never need to touch unless you have a pull or low speed sluggishness or high speed wandering.
Once you play around with the settings you will see. Try it, you 'll like it.

BTW, I go by inches for toe and degrees for castor/camber. Those new style print outs like you have are just BS to confuse people.

One careful person with simple tools can easily do a better job than an idiot with all the high tech stuff.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:59 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

did you ever feel the need for turning plates ? what are you putting under you wheels so that you can adjust them to the new setting. Looks to me like turning plate are the most expensive item
Old 06-13-2010, 01:36 PM
EastBay
Instructor

I don't have turning plates. Lots of people use 2 pieces of linoleum tile with grease in between and I think Harbor Freight sells cheaper plates if you think you need them.

take a look at this thread on Pelican lots of good DIY info
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...upgrade-9.html

Quick Reply: 996 steering wheels shaking even after tire balancing: SOLVED !