996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed CAI Update 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:09 AM
gofor28off
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may do this. I don't care about hp gains but I would like a quicker throttle response as I think it is a bit slow now when I blip the throttle. Of course more sound is a good thing.
I have Fabspeed mufflers now.
Mine makes a bit of a "barking" or "sucking" sound when I blip the throttle. This is caused by the air passing through the throttle body as it seems to be slower to open than the air being drawn through it. Do you think the FS intake will reduce this, have no effect, or make the sound worse?
Thanks.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:15 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hapich
Hater in the house It rocks.
I have to be the voice of reason.

Ok, so now onto your post about airflow. Here's the question I will pose to you. How much air does a N/A 996 need? Is the stock airbox sufficient? I'm no engineer, but to me it doesn't matter how many turns the air takes, what matters is, what is the temp., flow, and turbulence of the air just before it enters the engine. Am I way off on this?

All right, so it's a redundant question!
Let's face it, we do it for the sound. If you like the sound that's all that matters. The good news is that you will be the first (and hopefully last) person on your block to have the Fabspeed CF CAI. Plus you can advertise on that huge backstop they built into the design (perhaps slap a "Free Tibet" sticker on it). And if you get bored you can pull over and play ping pong off it. It's a win win situation.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Hapich
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well unless I try an Evoms and you try a Fabspeed or we do some in depth testing we really can't talk too much smack. We can but you know what I mean.
I will practice my ping pong and we can have a match to decide who wins. You can bring the table and a cooler of beer and snacks in your Cayenne
Excuse me. Cayenne "S".
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Hapich
Racer

Originally Posted by gofor28off
I may do this. I don't care about hp gains but I would like a quicker throttle response as I think it is a bit slow now when I blip the throttle. Of course more sound is a good thing.
I have Fabspeed mufflers now.
Mine makes a bit of a "barking" or "sucking" sound when I blip the throttle. This is caused by the air passing through the throttle body as it seems to be slower to open than the air being drawn through it. Do you think the FS intake will reduce this, have no effect, or make the sound worse?
Thanks.
I think it can only sound better IMO. I have not noticed a sucking sound, maybe a little from medtech, but I really have not listened that carefully. At high speeds when I get on the throttle I have noticed a whoosh. LOL. I wish I could explain better.
I am going to make a better video with some drive bys. It was $600 bucks and I realize it not easy to pull the trigger.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 PM
medtech
Drifting

Deal!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:45 AM
Hapich
Racer

Originally Posted by medtech
Deal!
Deep thoughts: by Jack Handy.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:10 PM
bigrob
Racer

Originally Posted by Hapich
Fabspeed has a mod for the tip. You just need to tell them.
I have to say I think this air intake has merit. I am a first time Pcar owner, I admit. I am also a mechanical construction engineer by trade and have a good mind for how things work. I think it's a good design and driving it tells me it has much more throttle response. I realize the MAF only allows what is necessary but air consistency is important too.
HP? I wont say and I will not dyno it. With a unit like the Evoms, the air is coming in at restricted angles with much turbulence. The Fabspeed is sucking air unrestricted through a very less restrictive orifice. People say the heat? If you are driving in typical situations the heat of the engine is not going to be a factor. If you are in traffic who cares?
My opinion is that getting air closer to source with less turbulence straight to the throttle body is the way to go. Cheap plastic and restricted air flow into a triangle, Evoms, does not make sense when it comes to sucking air into the engine. That's my opinion and I would love to hear other opinions.
I thought I saw somewhere you needed to do the breather, in any case I emailed Fab twice, asking about this issue, but never got a reply. I probably should just call them! Maybe Mon on my day off
Old 04-09-2010, 12:54 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by bigrob
I thought I saw somewhere you needed to do the breather, in any case I emailed Fab twice, asking about this issue, but never got a reply. I probably should just call them! Maybe Mon on my day off
Yes, you absolutely need to address the breather tube on a tip. If I remember correctly Fabspeeds answer was to put a little mini CAI on the end (called a breather filter).

EVOMS will give you a separate intake tube w/ a nipple on it.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:50 AM
bigrob
Racer

Originally Posted by medtech
Yes, you absolutely need to address the breather tube on a tip. If I remember correctly Fabspeeds answer was to put a little mini CAI on the end (called a breather filter).

EVOMS will give you a separate intake tube w/ a nipple on it.
I WANT the nipple , not the breather remedy. I imagine the breather will be fine, but......
Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 AM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by bigrob
I WANT the nipple , not the breather remedy. I imagine the breather will be fine, but......
Just make sure you tell them it's a tip when you order the CAI.
If you pick up a used one off a manual, you can always order another tube from EVOMS for about $60 (their customer service is excellent).

Quick Reply: Fabspeed CAI Update 2