CHECK ENGINE LIGHT BULB

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:13 PM
silverstutt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CHECK ENGINE LIGHT BULB

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT BULB

Called Porsche and they don't know which bulb I need to replace the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT BULB:
1 1/2 Watts?
1.2 Watts?
3 Watts?

I don't want to remove the cluster yet so I can drive it to the dealer to get the part or order it online..

Help!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would you ever want to replace that bulb? That means money!

Anyways, I'm not sure but I wonder if it is the 194 bulb? You can get those at any auto parts store.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:32 PM
silverstutt
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Tippy
Why would you ever want to replace that bulb? That means money!

Anyways, I'm not sure but I wonder if it is the 194 bulb? You can get those at any auto parts store.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverstutt
Thanks!
Not 100% what the bulb is, just throwing that out there.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:51 PM
silverstutt
Rennlist Member

yeah I figured but thanks! I'm going to bug the dealer's techs they always help me and don't charge me, so let's see what they say today... over the ph the parts dpt didn't have a clue...
Old 04-01-2010, 12:34 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
The CE light isn't a 194 bulb. I just had mine go out and stood over the Tech while he replaced it. I asked him if I should replace all the others as a preventative maintenance. He told me each bulb is $20 x 10 pieces for the cluster and would be cost prohibitive to which I agreed.

The scary thing about CE bulb is that there is no indicator when that goes out and the only way to know is if you plug in the diagnostics at the dealer.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:56 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
The CE light isn't a 194 bulb. I just had mine go out and stood over the Tech while he replaced it. I asked him if I should replace all the others as a preventative maintenance. He told me each bulb is $20 x 10 pieces for the cluster and would be cost prohibitive to which I agreed.

The scary thing about CE bulb is that there is no indicator when that goes out and the only way to know is if you plug in the diagnostics at the dealer.
Shouldn't this light go on when you turn the ignition switch before you start car?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:04 PM
silverstutt
Rennlist Member

Went to the Rusnak Porsche dealer and this great guy always helps me out (If I had the money and HAD to buy a new car I would by it there only 'cause this one guy is always so helpful) finally got the right bulb! (actually he sold me two so I can bring back the one that doesn't match) I will replace it my self and let you all know how it went.
Bulbs come in different colors to distinguish their function.
Ciao!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:09 PM
silverstutt
Rennlist Member

Light bulb is 11$
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2010, 05:39 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

silver.... pics of you car..... looks good.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:45 PM
silverstutt
Rennlist Member

bulb changed.. took 5 min... but after I was done I wanted to see if I could do it in 45sec... yes, it's that easy once you know how... the most time consuming part is have enough lighting (which I didn't have) so you can see the left side screw.
I did it without unplugging the cluster and always remember to put a towel on the steering wheel all the way behind the cluster once you took it out so you don't drop the bulbs behind the dash... (thanks Peter Y for that suggestion)
over and out!
Old 04-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome, good info.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:39 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
Shouldn't this light go on when you turn the ignition switch before you start car?
It does but I don't really pay attention to the lights everytime I start the car and if you're on a long drive, there is no indicator when the CE light burns out while you're driving. I consider this light "slightly" more important than the other dummy lights.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:26 PM
silverstutt
Rennlist Member

ok, so the check engine light bulb is good now...

I just ordered the Air Mass Sensor and I'm putting the original air box on, ordered the air filter too. Total $206 for MAS $20 for filter + tax $240something

arrives tomorrow and will let evryone know if it pass smog.

QUESTION: do I have to reset the check engine light? or it will go off by it self?
Old 04-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by silverstutt
ok, so the check engine light bulb is good now...

I just ordered the Air Mass Sensor and I'm putting the original air box on, ordered the air filter too. Total $206 for MAS $20 for filter + tax $240something

arrives tomorrow and will let evryone know if it pass smog.

QUESTION: do I have to reset the check engine light? or it will go off by it self?
It will probably go out by itself, but you should clear it just to make sure it goes off and then when you drive the car -- see below -- stays off in case the new parts didn't fix the problem.

Also, in clearing the error code this resets the engine controller's long fuel trims (learned fuel trims) to their defaults (0). It also resets all readiness monitor results to incomplete.

Be sure you drive the car enough -- 30 miles or so varied driving -- to ensure all (or enough) of the readiness monitors set to complete before you take car in for smog check. The tech will check these and if too many (the car is allowed just 2, IIRC) not complete the test can't be performed or the car could listed as failing which might require you spend more money and have to take the car somewhere else for a more in-depth test/inspection.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT BULB