Sponsored by:

996 intake systems,, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:56 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Flat torque is a metaphor. You cannot raise hp without raising torque, hp is calculated from torque.

To raise you RPM requires extending the torque to a higher RPM.

So, even though torque appears to be dwindling, it is the multiplier of RPM raising HP.

For instance, F1 engines make what, 1500hp? They still make gobs of torque, just at a really high RPM. I believe I read something like 800ft lbs. Not sure of time frame I read this.

It is all relative. HP comes simply calculated from torque.
Correct! You can't imagine how many people don't realize that...

Fun fact: The math of horsepower is the reason why on every reciprocating engine there is, the torque and horspower curves intersect at exactly the same rpm.

How much torque an engine makes and at what rpm can be influenced by lots of things, but the fundamental factor is displacement. After that, it's engine configuration (an undersquare engine is more naturally torquey than an oversquare engine, and an inline engine will produce more torque than a two-bank design, all other things being equal). Everything else is kind of at the margins.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Fun fact: The math of horsepower is the reason why on every reciprocating engine there is, the torque and horspower curves intersect at exactly the same rpm.
5252 RPM to be exact!

Quick Reply: 996 intake systems,, worth it?