Sponsored by:

I have to firmly press the clutch pedal against the floorboard to start the car

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:54 PM
porschegrp5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depressing the clutch all the way to the floor

I don't hear the limit switch clicking.Maybe my hearing is bad!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:49 PM
robert r
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adg44
There isn't a secondairy switch elsewhere?
I would not think so, and the fact that moving the connector seemed to fix it even if temporarily. I'd vote for replace and see how it goes.
How much can this part cost? A continuity test at the least.

Robert
Old 03-22-2010, 01:40 AM
adg44
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the problem came back (perhaps it never went away), so I just used a zip-tie around the switch to trick it into thinking that the clutch is depressed, and now you don't have to depress the clutch to start the car.

Problem fixed for $.05 cents.

- Anthony
Old 03-22-2010, 01:56 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
Well the problem came back (perhaps it never went away), so I just used a zip-tie around the switch to trick it into thinking that the clutch is depressed, and now you don't have to depress the clutch to start the car.

Problem fixed for $.05 cents.

- Anthony
A new switch is IIRC around $12. I don't like the zip-tie "trick". The problem is cars equipped with manual transmissions have required the clutch be depressed to start the engine now for so long that I fear many drivers have forgotten -- perhaps not even been taught like I was when I took driving class -- to depress the clutch pedal and ensure the transmission in neutral before starting the car. Thus with the clutch interlock switch bypasssed my concern is someone will get in the car and start the engine in gear and with the clutch not depressed. Even if you don't let anyone drive your car when you take it in for service a tech will almost certainly drive it and while I trust the techs to pay attention, sometimes there's junior "tech" who moves cars around and takes then for washing and even gassing and he may not be as careful as a tech.

To me this modification that bypasses a safety feature of the car puts some liability on the owner of the car should anything happen.

Get rid of the zip-tie. Replace the switch. At the same time replace the brake light switch and the clutch cruise control switch as well. When the brake light switch on my 02 Boxster failed I just replaced all 3 switches. They all get the about the same number of switch opening/closing cycles and if one bad the others are near enough to the end of their life to justify replacement.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: I have to firmly press the clutch pedal against the floorboard to start the car