Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How many here came from more powerful cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 PM
JoeZV8
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How many here came from more powerful cars?

Curious as to how many people here went to the 996 after previously owning a more powerful vechicle?

I have yet to drive a 996, although I hope to get a ride in a friend's 996 once spring rolls around here in NY. Reading up on 996's they just seem like a good fit for my current needs/wants. Currently my street car leans more towards track than street - stiff coilovers, Recaro's, rollbar, no traction control, no ABS, no cruise, no A/C, loud motor, loud exhaust, lots of gear chatter.

And at barely 2900lbs with over 370 ft lbs available from 2200 RPM till peak, the 295's struggle to keep the car pointed in the right direction...it is a complete blast! But after having several big offers thown at the car, I am thinking of taking one...investing the $ in some other interests I have while I search for a cherry 996 to make my street car.

I'm thinking that a more tame street car (that can carry the little one in the back seat) + a dedicated track car is a better package for me vs. the extremely raw street car which is my current toy. Just wondering how many here came upon the 996 after having a faster street car. Was the overall package and driving experience enough to keep you satisfied? Or are you still itching for more power
Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

well Joe, it seems you hit on a few good points. from the looks of your avatar, a Corvette seems to be your current toy. If you are looking for back seats for a "little one", a tame street car + a dedicated track car, a Carrera C4S would be a great choice.

I had a modded S/C'd Harley Supercrew & a modded N/A Mercury Marauder. plenty of power from both and handling to boot. both sold and not missed. I upgraded in 07 to a N/A Harley with all the options. 4.10's, lowered, CAI, Diablosport tuner, catback. real happy with it and it can haul the family. I still had the need for another vehicle and came across a 2000 996 Cab Tip. very tame, 9500 original miles, super clean. back seats for the kids too! Car can handle itself quite well. But I'm no racer by any means. I'll pry go with the Fister D, F & R sway bar upgrades along with the current mods I've done since I bought it in OCT 09.

So, I would say definitely look into a P-car and whichever model suits your budget. There are plenty out there in all forms...bone stock to highly modded....
Old 02-15-2010, 11:08 PM
JoeZV8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2000996MIA
well Joe, it seems you hit on a few good points. from the looks of your avatar, a Corvette seems to be your current toy. If you are looking for back seats for a "little one", a tame street car + a dedicated track car, a Carrera C4S would be a great choice.

I had a modded S/C'd Harley Supercrew & a modded N/A Mercury Marauder. plenty of power from both and handling to boot. both sold and not missed. I upgraded in 07 to a N/A Harley with all the options. 4.10's, lowered, CAI, Diablosport tuner, catback. real happy with it and it can haul the family. I still had the need for another vehicle and came across a 2000 996 Cab Tip. very tame, 9500 original miles, super clean. back seats for the kids too! Car can handle itself quite well. But I'm no racer by any means. I'll pry go with the Fister D, F & R sway bar upgrades along with the current mods I've done since I bought it in OCT 09.

So, I would say definitely look into a P-car and whichever model suits your budget. There are plenty out there in all forms...bone stock to highly modded....
Thanks for your feedback and quick reply. Actually my current toy is just powered by a Vette powerplant - 1996 Z3 with mildly modded LS1, stage IV T56, 3.73 LSD....list goes on and on. It's been quite an adventure transforming this car from an underpowered roadster, to a nicely powered roadster (supercharged 1.9l) to a complete monster

C4S would be nice, but it wouldn't leave much $$ for a dedicated track car. A friend has a 2000 C2, and I've seen a few C4's for sale not too far away. I need to get out and get a feel for the two cars. On paper the C4 seems to make sense for my area, but I really need to get some time behind the wheel of each. Here are a few pics of the transformation of my current toy, although it has since changed a bit since these were taken (~3yrs ago).

Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

cool. that's a real transformation you got there; quite a project...but if someone is willing to give you enough for it, I say move onward and upward...
Old 02-15-2010, 11:42 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An LS1 in a 996. Do it
Old 02-16-2010, 01:01 AM
kevjandon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, if bmw would shove the E92's V8 in the Z4 they would have a Cayman and possibly and 911 killer. So long as they don't dumb down the throttle body and gear the trans right.

Love your conversion.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Go for a newer 997 turbo.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:26 AM
JoeZV8
Intermediate

Thanks for the compliments guys. An LSx 996 would be sweet but my next LSx adventure will hopefully be a FFR GTM

A 997 or even 996 turbo would also be sweet...but they are well out of my price range for what I want to do for my weekend family fun car.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:28 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Joe, you can find plenty of 996's under $30K ( don't know about 997's), heck maybe even under $20K . Check ownership, mechanical history, etc. GL. I enjoy my ride just admiring it out on the driveway.
I think I'm going to upgrade the suspension next...and go for a drive.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,413 Likes on 524 Posts

Ive had a handlefull of "faster" cars but the 996 is more of a complete package, that can run in the twisties, see over 170mph and stop relatively well. 0-60 is around 5 sec which isnt super quick but enough to keep you entertained....now my 99 Audi was quick but would run out of steam at 130mph, and couldnt handle or brake to the best of its abilities. Had a tuned Sti....was also quicker but would run out of steam at 157mph....braking was good but lacked a solid feel through the steering wheel. The 996 im very impressed with, its just a solid car that can handle almost anything you through at it. The 996 also has a constant symphony playing behind you, something none of my cars had...they sounded good and raw but nothing like a flat 6...
Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Another Don
Advanced

Thumbs up

Do it, but you'll miss the low end torque that you've been used to.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeZV8
Curious as to how many people here went to the 996 after previously owning a more powerful vechicle?

Was the overall package and driving experience enough to keep you satisfied? Or are you still itching for more power
Well, you won't get a little one in the back seat, but the 996 GT3 is a perfect choice otherwise. Weighing about 3000 lbs with fluids, it will have all of the track stuff you want (fairly stiff coilovers, roll bar, etc) and NO nannies (no traction control, PSM, PASM etc. JUST ABS and that's it). There is more than enough HP and TQ to get you going - and quite quickly. [mine dyno'd at 373HP / 290 TQ at the wheels]. Plus you can run 315s in the rear

I can tell you this much: I track my stock GT3 along side Vettes, BMWs, MBs, Porsches, Vipers, Lotus (Lotii?), etc., and the GT3 does not leave me wanting more. With equal drivers, very few cars can out pace a GT3.

IMO, if you like the track there is no substitute for a GT3.

-td
Old 02-17-2010, 03:09 AM
s_kelly
Advanced

My last car was a 2004 GTO (still have it if anyone's interested). Yeah - I miss the low end torque, but the 911 is defnitely more of a complete package - the brakes and suspension match the engine perfectly. Once you're over 4000 rpm it goes from pretty good to "holy crap!". With the porsche, the braking and handling can keep up with the kind of situations you're likely to encounter when driving it to it's fullest - I can't really say that about the GTO.

.. and hearing the sound of the engine coming from the back of the car just never gets old.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 AM
bigrob
Racer

I actually sold my AC Cobra to buy my Carrera! I still DO own an '06 GTO, that cooks also
Attached Images   
Old 02-17-2010, 01:06 PM
ROK
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is there is no substitute. The 996 just drives... much more special than any tarted up BMW, Ford, etc.

Quick Reply: How many here came from more powerful cars?