FS 2nd gear pop out fix DIY - Cheap Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FS 2nd gear pop out fix DIY - Cheap Insurance

Hey there everyone,

Well as we have been including this part in our rebuilds for some time now, I thought that we should share this very simple fix with everyone.

As many of you already know, several of the Porsche gearboxes will occasionally experience a '2nd gear pop out issue.' There are a couple of ways to address this issue. But this one is the easiest, and by far the least expensive option for the DIY guy or gal.

Now this part will not fix a pop out problem if there is already damage internal to the gearbox, but it will certainly help prevent it. In all of our rebuilds here, we have yet to see a 'pop-out' problem return after the installation of this part.

Installation is relatively simple and can be completed with the gearbox still installed in your car.

Price on this is $69.11, (had to add the .11 cents for obvious reasons, LOL)

Even if you have never experienced this issue, this part is cheap insurance to ensure that you have done everything you can to keep it from popping up in the future.

Let me know if you would like one of these sent out to you. We are putting together an instruction sheet today with pics, and will post this on our website later this week, so that you have a step by step guide to help you get this installed.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com

Last edited by Erik@GBox; 04-29-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:55 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Would this work with a SSK? If so, I am interested...
Old 02-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

I thought the pop-out was related to the 2nd gear synchro, is it just something with the shifter?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Can you please explain where the part goes and why and how it works
Old 02-15-2010, 02:44 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey Arron (Medtech) too bad you sold you car, otherwise you could have put this on..... oh wait.... I just remembered, your car had a Tip tranny..... never mind!

OK, it's Monday! I'm just trying to liven up RL a little.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:47 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Erik,

That is interesting. Will that also work on the 997 trannys? I don't recall any major changes between the 996 and 997 manual transmissions.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Great Questions everyone,

I will try to answer as best as I can to give a bit more information on this. The deal here is that yes, the issue is the engagement of the 2nd gear dog ring to the operating sleeve that runs between 1st and 2nd. This part is the detent that controls the amount of engagement allowed by the operating sleeve. The problem here is that the stock piece is not quite in spec, and does not allow for full engagement. We have reworked this part and taken care of the issue.

Again what you are basically changing out here is the shift detent. Installation of this part, depending on your access, should not take long at all.

In reference to if you can use this with a short shift kit - ABSOLUTELY... This is not a problem.

Will this work on 997 gearboxes, Yes and No. It depends on which gearbox we are speaking about here. If you are asking about a 997 street car, then NO, this will not work. However if you are asking about the 997 GT2/GT3 then yes it will work.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions on this, or if I have not explained this in enough detail.

Warmest Regards, and happy to help.

Erik Johnson
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com

Trending Topics

Old 02-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Oh this would also include the TT gearboxes, YES this fix will work for them as well.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Default Step by Step instructions

Okay so don't laugh too hard in regard to my picture taking ability, I was in a bit of hurry to get this out on the boards here, some of the pics are a bit out of focus but you will be able to see what I mean here.

Step #1 remove the bolt that prevents the detent cover from coming completely out. This will be a 13mm bolt in 996 street cars, and an allen key in the GT2/GT3 gearboxes. This is a 6mm allen key.

Step #2 remove the detent cover which is an 8mm allen key.

Step #3 use a strong magnet to remove the spring and detent from the detent holder. (hint if you move the shifter around a bit it will help this release easier)

Step #4 change out the detent with the new part that I have sent you. You can use the same spring that came out of the gearbox.

Step #5 here is the tricky part. Looking from the side of the gearbox you put the new detent in so that the pinned part that holds the internal wheel, is 90 degrees from the side of the gearbox. ie It points to the side of the car. This is important because the wheel on the detent engages a plate internally, this is not too tough though and can be felt as the new detent is installed and pushed into place.

Step #6 drop in spring, this step can be combined for easier installation with step #5

Step #7 reinstall the detent cover and transmission bolt. End of job.

How does this work? Well, me have made a modification to the OEM part that gives this new detent the ability to allow for more engagement all of the gears. This detent controls the forward and aft motions of the gearing changes.

Here are some pics to help with visualizing the replacement. I hope that this information has been helpful.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com

Last edited by Erik@GBox; 04-29-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:44 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

cool, how long has this been around?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Wish I would have seen this mod 10 days ago.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:45 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice...my box feels fine but the thought of the second gear pop out has always concerned me.

Can you post a pic of the old part and the new part together?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Redridge - We have been adding this part to our rebuilds for some time, but thought that we would share it with everyone here to help prevent the problem from starting.

Jasper - I can think of a couple of reasons as to why you might like to see the old part next to the new, but in fairness to us here, I have to ask, if I post what the actual changes are that we make, where is the incentive to purchase the part from me? I think for the moment that we are going to pass on sharing that information. Sorry about that, I hope that does not make me a bad guy here.

Thanks for the questions, as well as the orders. We truly appreciate it.

Erik Johnson
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com
Old 02-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a backup tranny just in case, but good idea and can save problems. I assume that it is a stronger part that goes back in the same way the original does? I would like to see old vs new part side by side also for may own verification. If someone wanted to copy your part what would keep them from buying one and reproducing? Business decisions are just that ... but being first adds loyalty. Just a thought.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
Wish I would have seen this mod 10 days ago.
Your back should be good now..so BACK under you GO...

Quick Reply: FS 2nd gear pop out fix DIY - Cheap Insurance