996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

FS 2nd gear pop out fix DIY - Cheap Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been curious about that myself, I know several have gotten this part from us and said they were going to install it soon, but I have not seen anyone actually post much. Is this part harder to access then I originally thought?

Looking forward to hearing.

Erik Johnson
Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 PM
lbuckley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys - I'm thinking about ordering this and having my Indy shop install it next month, but my shop owner has never heard of the problem and so, I have to admit I'll a little hesitant. I've had the car pop out of second gear immediately on shifting from first to second, maybe a total of 4-5 times in 18 months of ownership. Its mainly a weekend only car so that's in about 4000 miles of driving and a lot of short trips around town. I've noticed that the pop outs have occurred if I get lazy and keep my hand on the gearshift after shifting down into second. I suspect I inadvertently applied a small amount of upward force on the gearshift when I did this and that resulted in the poor engagement. Now that I'm more conscious of it, it hasn't happened in a few months.

I know I'm only looking at ~$200 for the part plus install labor (DIY not an option - no garage, other issues). But I'm not convinced its "broke enough" to warrant a fix. Am I right in thinking if this were a significant issue Porsche would have issued a recall, or is it not bad enough but still worth the fix?

I'd appreciate advice from those of your more experienced in our cars and transmissions than me. The Targa is going in for an alignment and new tires in about a month so I should decide fairly soon.

Erik - do you have more in stock that you can ship out if I decide to green light?

Thanks gang,

Lawrence
Old 03-21-2010, 04:08 PM
K. Roman
Advanced

I'm still waiting for someone to post up about this supposed fix. Can somebody give a description of the job and the results? Thx.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Hey there Lawrence,

I have several of these in stock, so no worries on that. I can certainly understand the hesitance in getting a part that you are not sure you need. I can tell you that if you have ever experienced the issue, of 'pop-out' it is only going to get worse as time goes on.

I too am a bit surprised that no one has posted success or failure with regard to the installation of this part. I must admit that we have always installed this part with the gearbox already taken out of the car, but did here from several shops that they were able to get this installed without removal of the gearbox. Obviously, it would be a far simpler job if you have a lift available.

Let me know if I can help anyone with this. We have the instructions on our website now if anyone needs them.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com
Old 03-22-2010, 09:08 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm disappointed that the video previously posted didn't do a follow-up about the installation.
It seems like an easy fix for a potential problem.

Anyone???
Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Erik,
Why don't you try it with the gearbox in? Just a thought. You could then give first hand advice.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Xeattle
Advanced

What I've noticed is that I need to clear all the dirt off the top of the transmission before I remove the detent cover.

There is very little clearance with the transmission installed so it's hard to vertically peer down and work with this part.

My vertical pen magnet that would work perfectly with the transmission removed is useless with the transmission installed so I'm looking for a flexible magnet I can use. This is problem #2 for me.

My first step is to really clean all the road grime and dirt off that top of the transmission so I don't contaminate my transmission with dirt. I haven't been able to get this done yet so there's a delay. As you can see from my photo it's a mess up there.

With the transmission out and squeaky clean this is not an issue. I'm not going to get in a hurry installing this...my cars a daily driver so I've got to plan my wrenching.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Hey there Porscheguy,

While we do rebuild a ton of Porsche gearboxes every week, we very rarely do these gearboxes with the car in house. We usually have the gearboxes sent to up for rebuild, and do not really get into the R&R. As such, while I do think that would be the easiest way to show everyone, we simply do not have a car here in shop to take a video of this process.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
Old 11-26-2023, 02:00 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Reviving this for anyone else that takes on the replacement of the detent project while the transmission is in the car.
A few tips:

1) Put the car in second gear so that the shift lever (that the shift cables connect to) on the side of the transmission is out of the way. The area you are working in is just fore and a bit above the lever.

2) The bolt that needs to be removed and the "cover" that holds the detent in are both visible from inside the rear passenger side wheel well. Also, I used a 10mm socket, a 6 inch and a 10 inch extension (all 3/8). I suspect that the project would be easier with 1/4" extensions/socket but 3/8th" worked. I did not use a universal joint. A trick I came across was to put the socket on the 6" extension and then from inside the wheel well, position the 6" extension and socket onto the bolt. Then, go under the car and (from the front of the transmission) put the 10" extension onto the 6" extension. Then I put a standard socket wrench onto the end of the 10" (without using a universal joint). I was then able to break the bolt loose and undo it all the way out.

3) make sure you have both a full-size 8mm hex wrench and a "stubby" 8mm hex wrench. I used the full-size wrench to break the cover loose. The stubby was needed to then undo the cover (as the clearance got smaller as the cover bolt came out).

I'm half way through this but wanted to document it.
The following 2 users liked this post by sjg1138:
islaTurbine (11-26-2023), wdb (11-28-2023)

Quick Reply: FS 2nd gear pop out fix DIY - Cheap Insurance