996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Next project 160F thermo mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:35 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've changed my mind on the fan mod. If I was going to do anything to my cooling system, that would probably be it. I have a pair of brand new rads in my car, so one could argue that the system is working 'as designed' at the moment. I find the car cools down very effectively when it's in motion, and it doesn't take much or long. Sitting in traffic is where the problem is... it really does seem to be all about moving air (versus a thermostat or the amount of rad surface area).

Hacking into the temp gage in the ECU while you drive (it's more sensitive, if not more accurate than the dash gage), you see it very clearly. It's airflow.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:54 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

This is one of my favorite mods. Ferd installed the third radiator in his car a few years ago and wanted to do the fan mod. Thankfully, he is an electrical engineer and full of knowledge. I was able to learn a little about the car's electronics from him.

The fan mod is not an expensive one because I bought two switches, one for the front fans and the other for the engine compartment fan, from Radioshack for around $12. Ferd had some wires plus soldering tools available. It takes some electrical knowledge and reading the 996 electrical blueprint to figure this out.

Quick Reply: Next project 160F thermo mod