Sponsored by:

Urgently need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:27 PM
jmabasa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
Thats not RMS unless the car was sitting down hill. The RMS drip woudl be on the cross member or behind it. See my pix. Thats a tranny leak, Coolent leak maybe.
If it's a tranny leak, then shouldn't the fluid be red and a different viscosity than oil? Of it's a coolant leak, shouldn't the coolant just evaporate?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jmabasa
If it's a tranny leak, then shouldn't the fluid be red and a different viscosity than oil? Of it's a coolant leak, shouldn't the coolant just evaporate?
I am too new to the car to answer this question.

From what i have read I understand Porsche uses a weird Cooent. And I have no idea if the porsche AT fluid is red. Sorry. But its not RMS I am 99.9% certain of that.

Hell that may even be oil out the AC lines. I am not sure where these lines run. But I know a fare share of lines run atop the tranny. I just had my tranny out. However many also run beside the tranny as well.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

it is a tip? Correct a C4 or C2?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:07 PM
jmabasa
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
it is a tip? Correct a C4 or C2?
It's a C4 tip.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:46 PM
jmabasa
Advanced

Update:

I checked the liquid on the floor again this morning and it's not engine oil. It's a clear fluid that has the same viscosity as engine oil or maybe even a little thicker. What do you guys think it is?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:39 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Maybe it's seminal fluid. Oh wait; it can't be that because it is a Tip..... then it must be vaginal fluid!

OK, OK, I'm just kidding around!

Could it be brake fluid or coolant? In small amounts, both could appear to be clear. My guess is brake fluid, because coolant would have a distinct odor that you would recognize.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 PM
jmabasa
Advanced

Originally Posted by gota911
Maybe it's seminal fluid. Oh wait; it can't be that because it is a Tip..... then it must be vaginal fluid!

Could it be brake fluid or coolant? In small amounts, both could appear to be clear. My guess is brake fluid, because coolant would have a distinct odor that you would recognize.
Brake fluid would be my guess too because coolant fluid would have a smell anyway. But does brake fluid also have the viscosity close to engine oil or thicker? I though brake fluid was watery? I'll need to check on the brake fluid level when I get home.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911

Yea, from the 'seminary' right Tim?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:55 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Brake fluid is not very viscous(sp) when you rub it between your fingers.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:09 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jmabasa
Brake fluid would be my guess too because coolant fluid would have a smell anyway. But does brake fluid also have the viscosity close to engine oil or thicker? I though brake fluid was watery? I'll need to check on the brake fluid level when I get home.
what color is the brake fluid in the reservoir? is it the same on the floor....
Old 02-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

AC oil Does your AC work?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM
joelpirela
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe it's a line of pentosin. to the steering rack from the pump
Old 02-16-2010, 12:01 AM
jmabasa
Advanced

Had the lifted to see where it was coming from and it turns out to be transmission fluid from the transmission oil pan. The gasket was seeping out oil. The shop said it would be a 3 to 4 hour job and labor would run about $350. Does this sound about right for this job?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:59 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it yourself and save money. Gasket, trans fluid and filter then drive on. If hard up for getting it in the air have the car half on a curb driving up on it using a driveway as a ramp. Read the fluid quantity in the manual and make sure you have a good enough oil change litter box for the fluid. Expect more fluid in the pan when removing it since the car would be at an angle. 3-4 hours labor sounds like you get charged for waiting for the engine to cool down after driving up. You probably don't need a filter but any time I go in I like to change the filter.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:15 AM
jmabasa
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pac996
Do it yourself and save money. Gasket, trans fluid and filter then drive on. If hard up for getting it in the air have the car half on a curb driving up on it using a driveway as a ramp. Read the fluid quantity in the manual and make sure you have a good enough oil change litter box for the fluid. Expect more fluid in the pan when removing it since the car would be at an angle. 3-4 hours labor sounds like you get charged for waiting for the engine to cool down after driving up. You probably don't need a filter but any time I go in I like to change the filter.
Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Urgently need your help!