Sponsored by:

1999 Dealer brochure revelations

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 PM
tntempest
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dealer brochure revelations

Three things that make me cringe I learned from my 1999 Dealer brochure that just came in. And I quote from page 15

"Each engine is tested rigorously---on the bench for up to half an hour, with a full minute nonstop at redline!!!!!!!!!

Then a rolling road test. And ultimately , the final exam: 90 minutes on the Autobahn, where every 911 off the assembly line must satisfy perhaps the worlds most demanding , and some say most fortunate, driver- a Porsche test driver."

"Each new 911 must slow from 90% of its top speed to 62mph 25 times. Consecutively. Without suffering significant brake fade."

1. So there are two schools of thought on breaking in a motor, apparently Porsche takes the rough road.

2. Some yahoo was given the keys to my car for 90 minutes at unlimited speeds when it had no miles and the crap was beaten out of it and the factory sanctions it.

3. Our cars are place under load to 156.6mph 25 times in a row when they are brand new and the brake pads are not broken in any way I have ever read about. There would be no reason to try and break in your new Porsche when you received it, because the darn thing is beat all to heck anyway.

This could explain a lot with these engines, would be a neat graph to see trans bearings and IMS failures vs test drivers name.
tntempest is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 02-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

There are indeed different schools of thought on the topic. I agree with Porsche's technique, and I've rebuilt motors that after thousands of track and tens of thousands of road miles are still at factory spec compression and leakdown-or above... They're meant to be driven, and going to redline or staying under load is not outside the design parameters IMO, nor Porsche's, obviously.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

I wonder if the remans they are putting in go through this same great test?

Originally Posted by tntempest
Three things that make me cringe I learned from my 1999 Dealer brochure that just came in. And I quote from page 15

"Each engine is tested rigorously---on the bench for up to half an hour, with a full minute nonstop at redline!!!!!!!!!

Then a rolling road test. And ultimately , the final exam: 90 minutes on the Autobahn, where every 911 off the assembly line must satisfy perhaps the worlds most demanding , and some say most fortunate, driver- a Porsche test driver."

"Each new 911 must slow from 90% of its top speed to 62mph 25 times. Consecutively. Without suffering significant brake fade."

1. So there are two schools of thought on breaking in a motor, apparently Porsche takes the rough road.

2. Some yahoo was given the keys to my car for 90 minutes at unlimited speeds when it had no miles and the crap was beaten out of it and the factory sanctions it.

3. Our cars are place under load to 156.6mph 25 times in a row when they are brand new and the brake pads are not broken in any way I have ever read about. There would be no reason to try and break in your new Porsche when you received it, because the darn thing is beat all to heck anyway.

This could explain a lot with these engines, would be a neat graph to see trans bearings and IMS failures vs test drivers name.
tntempest is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 02-06-2010, 04:11 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this was done in the past. Current car engines are turned mechanically and that is the extent of the test.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:58 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

the gt3 is subjected to similar test... but only the engine and off the body to gaurantee it meets advertised power spec.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:45 AM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

All Ruf cars are top speed certified on the Autobahn.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom
All Ruf cars are top speed certified on the Autobahn.
Even the RUFs out of Texas?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
Even the RUFs out of Texas?
I'm thinking RUFs that are ordered in Texas are manufactured & tested in Germany, then shipped to Dallas...

///Michael
Old 02-07-2010, 03:58 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"the final exam: 90 minutes on the Autobahn"

I think this one is done on the back of a car carrier on the way to the port.

Quick Reply: 1999 Dealer brochure revelations