996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Adding an AUX Jack To The Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't believe I didn't get acknowlegment for my CD remarks from anyone. Do I have to mention how ugly our headlights are to get a rise out of you guys? I thought for sure Ed would chime in that he has tried to install 2% finacial instraments in his cars and they didn't fit!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:17 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Is anyone familiar w/ this company?

http://www.navtv.com/product/114/ipo...nterfaces.html

States on their website that they have a product which would allow iPod connectivity for 2002 and later 996's.

Any comments would be appreciated!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:17 AM
goliver
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the non-most system in my car and bought the Becker cable and removal keys. It does charge my Ipod and my first generation iphone. Just bought a new 3gs iphone. Haven't tried to charge it yet but I'm thinking it will as the adapter for my Silverado charges Ipod, old Iphone and new Iphone.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:46 AM
67FJ45
Pro

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Is anyone familiar w/ this company?

http://www.navtv.com/product/114/ipo...nterfaces.html

States on their website that they have a product which would allow iPod connectivity for 2002 and later 996's.

Any comments would be appreciated!
Well, it costs about the same as a Dension unit. And they do make a comment that I find hilarious, something like "get audiophile sound...." From an iPod connected to a car sound system?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

Many of they guys on the Cayenne forum use a product from Mobridge to achieve this. I've heard good reports over there.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 PM
lbuckley
Instructor

Just lost my entire post due to timeout - oops... here is the short version:

MObridge looks like it works, but I want a sub $100 ipod only solution, if its solid I'll go $150, the Mobridge is ~$549. The mark up over the non-MOST bus cable systems seems crazy, I wonder if its because the vendors are trying to sell something with more features than I need (phone, ipod, bluetooth, SatNav, etc..) and figure they can command a $500 price point from 996 owners... Hope to visit a few local audio shops this weekend but not optimistic. Don't want to give up and go FM modulator yet.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:02 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lbuckley
Just lost my entire post due to timeout - oops... here is the short version:

MObridge looks like it works, but I want a sub $100 ipod only solution, if its solid I'll go $150, the Mobridge is ~$549. The mark up over the non-MOST bus cable systems seems crazy, I wonder if its because the vendors are trying to sell something with more features than I need (phone, ipod, bluetooth, SatNav, etc..) and figure they can command a $500 price point from 996 owners... Hope to visit a few local audio shops this weekend but not optimistic. Don't want to give up and go FM modulator yet.
Sadly, it appears nothing has changed since I looked at this a couple of years ago. Thanks for your efforts.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:16 PM
solosailor
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Did someone say iPod?

Custom mount
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2010, 07:03 PM
lbuckley
Instructor

@SoloSailor - I like the mount, mine sits in the batcave now.

@DCP - there's still an unserved market here, thanks for the comment.

ALCON - Final Update on my efforts at Ipod + CDR-23/MOST integration. Enfig Car Stereo in NJ replied to my email that the Denison is the only solution at $350 plus install, as others have found. This weekend I visited two shops, one specializing in high end car audio. Both shops confirmed what I'd found to date - nothing at less than $350 plus install & a few parts.

At the high end car audio shop, I asked the owner to listen to my BOSE system and tell me if I was just being too picky or if it didn't sound the way a decent car audio system should (I'm somewhat spoiled by a good home system I put together 10 years ago - thanks corporate relo package!) He got in my car and immediately said its the speakers - very weak midrange and lack a clarity on the highs - Yup. He recommended upgrading the only front dash speakers and leaving everything else the same for now. To add the Ipod connection, he could sell me a new head unit, bypass the BOSE amp (since its not compatible with anything), and give me an Ipod cable connection to the new head unit. Decent head unit would be $250-$300 but I'd be looking at 3+ hours of labor to wire around the amp OR I could go to a double DIN LCD touch screen setup for much more functionality. Either way - I'd be looking at $500 - $900, depending on single DIN or double DIN and features, and I'd still have poor sound due to the factory speakers.

His speaker comment was right on target - my home system has most of the cost tied up in speakers, followed by the amp, then the CD player and the sound is incredible. His suggestion for maximum sound per dollar was the Focal Polyglass coaxial line, the 4" model was a drop in for the factory dash mount and his install preserved the factory speaker grills so there's no visible aftermarket look. The Focals were $350 installed. The sound is an amazing improvement, well worth it and has me more motivated to use my CD player rather than the ipod.

I was ready to leave a satisfied customer, but I mentioned that I might just pick up a Belkin FM modulator for the Ipod. With this, Gary went into the back and found me an FM modulator that works quite nicely for a price too low to mention here. Now I'm good on audio for a while.

For anyone in Northern VA or the Metro DC - Maryland area, I'm very pleased with Hurley's Auto Audio (link: http://www.hurleysaudio.com/). If you go, I recommend talking to the owner, Gary Hurley - you can't miss him, the big guy with white hair. If you want, you can tell him I recommended him.
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation or relationship with Hurley's, I found him on the internet and walked in last Saturday. He did the speaker install today, President's Day.

-Lawrence
Old 02-15-2010, 08:51 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Lawrence, are you saying they are selling at $350 the Denison unit for our cars that retails for over $500?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:38 PM
lbuckley
Instructor

@LVDell: That's what my reply from Enfig said, but they didn't specify the model. Here is the quote from their email to me: "Dension makes a simple unit for $350 that does not have an aux or keep the radio."

You're right that the $350 price sounds suspect, I just re-checked the Enfig website and they're listing the Denison Gateway 500 at $479.99 marked down from $549.99 on their Porsche page. Here's the link: http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...sche_ipod.html

Probably better to call them, I only emailed.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:00 PM
4Scargo
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey Buckley, thanks for the legwork......I may take the same route for my speakers in my '03. I bought an MP4 player off Ebay that plugs into the cig lighter and has a remote. Music in downloaded into 2-4-6- or 8MB chip. About $35 w/shipping. No wires in the cabin, small (about 1/2 the size of a playing card) indiscreet,(may paint the shiney plastic chrome flat black) and the remote. Good enought for me. Thx again.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 AM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by lbuckley
@LVDell: That's what my reply from Enfig said, but they didn't specify the model. Here is the quote from their email to me: "Dension makes a simple unit for $350 that does not have an aux or keep the radio."

You're right that the $350 price sounds suspect, I just re-checked the Enfig website and they're listing the Denison Gateway 500 at $479.99 marked down from $549.99 on their Porsche page. Here's the link: http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...sche_ipod.html

Probably better to call them, I only emailed.
Check this link: http://987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19893

nice setup and you can change things around to make it fall within your price.
Just the inline FM modulator would do the trick and costs about 70.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:02 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KrisKringle
Check this link: http://987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19893

nice setup and you can change things around to make it fall within your price.
Just the inline FM modulator would do the trick and costs about 70.
That one confuses me. If you are going to do that much work, why not ditch the OEM unit and eliminate the MOST bus for the sound system? Why end up with an FM modulator compromising the sound? Am I missing something here?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Liceman
Instructor

I would think twice about the FM modulator route... I have yet to EVER hear one in any car that was acceptable audio quality. It's cool technology, but I did not find it to be listenable. Hopefully someone will find one that proves my theory wrong

Quick Reply: Adding an AUX Jack To The Stereo?