Adding an AUX Jack To The Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Liceman
Buy the Aux cable adapter from Becker as mentioned. Then you can buy a Scosche ipod adapter through Apple which WILL power the unit and play music through the Becker cable. I did this on my '99 this year. Make sure your ipod is compatible however (check the websites at Becker, and you can Google "scosche ipod")
Again '02 and up might be a different story.
Can you provide a little more detail on which scosche cable you bought? I can't find it on the apple site, and the scosche site has so many cables it's hard to find...

EDIT: I just looked on the Becker site. There is a cable that will charge an iPod and play it through the aux input, but apparently it won't charge a 2nd generation iPhone.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dennis C; 02-05-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:05 PM
4Scargo
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey Buckly, keep me informed on your progress.....I have an '03 with nav and ended up with a FM modulator. It works, but I H A T E all the wires and the sometimes fuzzy sound. But, I couldn't find a reasonable (key word) alternative. You got the ball, buddy....Let's get out there and win this one
Old 02-05-2010, 11:18 PM
lbuckley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@4Scargo: I'm on it. As soon as the blizzard stops I have a few shops I want to talk to. Until then, guess I have some time on my hands for online research...

Like the dog in the backseat photo!

L
Old 02-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Liceman
Instructor

Dennis C,

The Scosche PassPORT is the device you want. It's an adaptor (~$20) that attaches to the ipod/iphone at one end, and the Becker Aux-out cable at the other end. This will enable your ipod/iphone to CHARGE and play music through the one Becker cable.
I have an iPhone 3G, running through the Scosche PassPORT adapter, into the Becker Aux cable, into the CDR 220 of my '99 996. Works perfectly, plays AND charges at same time with this setup.

Make sure the Becker people say the Becker Aux cable will work with your '02 radio, just to be safe.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Which Becker cable do you have? There is one that has an iPod/iPhone plug, and one that has more of a generic plug that might also take a satellite radio, for example. I assume you have the second one...

EDIT: I see it on the apple site. Looks like it uses the standard cable.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Liceman
Instructor

I have the iphone/ipod plug on my becker cable (IIRC price was ~$60-70ish?)
Old 02-06-2010, 06:58 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is an AUX solution for the PCM1 as well.
Let me know if you need it and I'll locate the source for you.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

... To add the Becker cable, you give up your CD changer connection, no?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Liceman
Instructor

Yes, i believe you do lose the CD changer function/connection. Mine doesn't have that option to begin with however.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:44 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CD's are only earning a point or two of interest so they don't even keep up with inflation but they are insured by the FDIC if valued under $100,000. Why would you want one in a Porsche? The bank can hold them for you or you could leave them in a safety deposit box.
On your iPod question of course you have to have one in your Porsche. You can't control what tunes come up on Sat Radio so how us can you listen to what you want to listen too? You do need FM to pick up NPR but it is totally unsuitable for music.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

The guys at Becker now sell the Scosche PassPORT adapter too, so you can order the cable, the adapter and the radio removal keys from them. I just did!

Now I need to figure out where to put the iPhone. I'm debating between the glove box or the center armrest tray.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:31 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The guys at Becker now sell the Scosche PassPORT adapter too, so you can order the cable, the adapter and the radio removal keys from them. I just did!

Now I need to figure out where to put the iPhone. I'm debating between the glove box or the center armrest tray.
You may tire of having to connect and disconnect your iPhone all the time. My daughter bought a separate iPod and leaves it in her car. If you take that approach, you want to have it well hidden.

I am trying that approach with my wife's new car. I had an old Nano which I am leaving in it. It is presently at the dealer for service and I forgot to remove it. It will be interesting to see whether it is still there when I pick it up.

I wish I had this problem, but I am just not willing to spend the minor fortune required with the MOST bus. I'd probably buy PSS10's first anyway. Damned college tuition!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I've actually got an old iPod Nano too. I may do that. Good suggestion.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Liceman
Instructor

Good idea on using a backup iPod....

I'm also looking into a clip mount for iPhone that attaches to the passenger side of lower front console...

Slightly off topic.... anyone have any experience using the BlendMount device for mounting Valentine one on the Rear view mirror? Looks cool.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:43 PM
lbuckley
Instructor

Update on my efforts to find a MOST bus (2003+) solution for the Ipod that doesn't cost a small fortune:

- talked to local hi end audio store, they think a Gateway 100 from Denison will work but according to Denison's website it will not.

- I found the German company Solisto with several Ipod solutions, but after discussing it with them - yep, the CDR-23 is incompatible with all of there products. Now, if you have almost any other OEM radio, they can probably help you for $100-$200. They're at http://www.solisto.de/en/caraudio

- I found the New Jersey company Enfig and I'm waiting for their reply to my email.

Investigation continues.

LB

Quick Reply: Adding an AUX Jack To The Stereo?