Sponsored by:

GT3 brake duct spoilers - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:21 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
These are $60 for the pair at Suncoast. Do they really channel more air to the front rotors for DE events and keep the rotors cooler?
Are you overheating your system now?

As for the scoops, they do help. But you need to keep the entire braking system in mind. If you are running street tires and stock-ish pads, they will make a fairly substantial difference on cooling. If you are running r-comps and aggressive pads, just the scoops won't be enough. You will probably need better cooling in general- possibly including GT3 ducts, GT3 scoops, SRF, and slotted rotors.

Personally, I do not recommend the cup scoops. The may be great for cooling while they are attached, but drop 2 wheels and your $125 scoop is history. They also scrape driveways and other inclines as they are substantially bigger than the GT3 ducts.

-td
Old 02-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
Are you overheating your system now?

As for the scoops, they do help. But you need to keep the entire braking system in mind. If you are running street tires and stock-ish pads, they will make a fairly substantial difference on cooling. If you are running r-comps and aggressive pads, just the scoops won't be enough. You will probably need better cooling in general- possibly including GT3 ducts, GT3 scoops, SRF, and slotted rotors.

Personally, I do not recommend the cup scoops. The may be great for cooling while they are attached, but drop 2 wheels and your $125 scoop is history. They also scrape driveways and other inclines as they are substantially bigger than the GT3 ducts.

-td
I haven't had the chance to overheat the system and I probably won't. We'll see in April when DEs start. I've used Carbotech XP8 and XP10 on a few cars over the past few years (A5, GTI, RX8) along with ATE fluid at Mid-Ohio with no issues.

Since the ducts are fairly cheap, I was curious. Even though the 911 is about 300 - 400 lbs heavier than the RX8, the brake system should be fine for my level (NASA level 2).

Quick Reply: GT3 brake duct spoilers - worth it?