Sponsored by:

that gunk in the oil filler tube

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

I'm moving to the mountains west of Denver, so it might actually get worse for me...

Thanks for the straw suggestion Tim... but I'll pass...
Old 02-02-2010, 02:09 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'm moving to the mountains west of Denver, so it might actually get worse for me...

Are you serious about moving west of Denver?

Then I guess you will be a "Texan Buffalo?"
Old 02-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Yes. I moved into a new position with my company (I'm very excited about it) that is field based. I now have responsibility for sales, inventory, operations and managing a distributor network in the mountain area of the US. I cover 11 states, from west Texas up to Alaska, including Hawaii! We decided to move to the center of the area, someplace reasonably close to an airport hub due to all my travel. The two obvious choices were Denver and Salt Lake City. We chose Denver. We are currently looking for a house in the town of Evergreen, up in the foothills west of the city.

I'm excited about the possibility of driving the 996 on a road that actually has a curve!

Texan Hoosier Buffalo maybe... who knows...

I'll always be a Texan!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:38 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats on the new position and good luck with the move!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

Moving always sucks, especially across the country. We have also only been in this house for two years. And we're moving two teenagers - both in high school. But... we'll get through it!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks!

Moving always sucks, especially across the country. We have also only been in this house for two years. And we're moving two teenagers - both in high school. But... we'll get through it!
Will your move west be impacted by the weak real estate market, or does your company step up to the plate and lend you a hand with selling your current home?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I've got an excellent relocation package, and so they will step up if we don't sell it. We are required to have it listed within 105% of the appraised value for 45 days, and then we can accept the company offer if we choose. I also have a "loss on sale" provision in my relocation package, so the worst case scenario is one in which we break even on the house. If we are lucky enough to sell it in the first 60 days, we get a cash bonus of 3% of the sale price. We have priced it aggressively and hope to sell it quickly.

Fortunately, we may be able to take advantage of the market conditions when we buy a new house. However, even with the market depressed, houses in Evergreen, Colorado are much more expensive than in Fort Wayne, Indiana. We're still in a little bit of sticker shock. I think I'll get over it the first time I go skiing, only 30 minutes from my new home!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You are a lucky man. I have to travel 2 hrs to ski, so you have no reason not to ski often...oh yea, work.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

OK - thread revival because I have an update.

As stated earlier in this thread, I changed my oil about 4000 miles ago. It was filled with Total and I had sludge. I filled it with Motul this time, an oil I have had success with in the past.

The last 2 months have been some of the coldest wettest and coldest weather we have had for some time here in BC, and for those of you not in the know...Southern British Columbia is a very wet place in the late winter.

Result.....NO SLUDGE. The filler tube is nice and clean.

So as far as I'm concerned, there is no argument. Using Mobil 1 will result in sludge in your filler tube. Using Total oil will also result in sludge in your filler tube.

Use Motul and there will be no sludge in your filler tube...even in cold wet weather.

I drive my car 75 kilometres every day. Half of it normal, the other half too fast. It's the same every day. The sludge is *not* a result of under driving the car. I do not under drive my car. It's gets hot every day and it sees redline several times per day.

The sludge is a result of using lower quality oil.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:44 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper

As stated earlier in this thread, I changed my oil about 4000 miles ago. It was filled with Total and I had sludge. I filled it with Motul this time, an oil I have had success with in the past.

The last 2 months have been some of the coldest wettest and coldest weather we have had for some time here in BC, and for those of you not in the know...Southern British Columbia is a very wet place in the late winter.

So as far as I'm concerned, there is no argument. Using Mobil 1 will result in sludge in your filler tube. Using Total oil will also result in sludge in your filler tube.

Use Motul and there will be no sludge in your filler tube...even in cold wet weather.

I drive my car 75 kilometres every day. Half of it normal, the other half too fast. It's the same every day. The sludge is *not* a result of under driving the car. I do not under drive my car. It's gets hot every day and it sees redline several times per day.

muhahahhaah.... thats why they call it Mobile Water.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:47 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

+996, I used to use Mobil Water & would always get the sludge, I even tried additives & no luck. Plus I still had an oil leak even after switching out the RMS & the car also burned oil... Switched to Motul 300V after Mobil finished dissappointing me at the track when oil pressure started dropping & heat rising like crazy to the point that I had to end the day early. After switching to Motul, not only is the sludge gone, but it's also kept up amazingly at the track & my car doesn't leak & hardly burns any oil anymore. Sounds like a commercial, but I will never use anything other than Motul after seeing the huge difference it's made in everything. Porsche's slogan applies to Motul oil as well: There is no substitute.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:55 AM
GNR996
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A slurpy straw with the spoon end would be handy for scrooping gunk out. Those slurpy straws are heavier duty than normal straws.

Quick Reply: that gunk in the oil filler tube