996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

C4 - Rear Squeal from standing start ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:09 PM
s4treg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 - Rear Squeal from standing start ??

I have an intermittent issue, that appears to be worse when it's cold, where starting from a light, stopped, the car makes a quick squeal, and then goes away. This doesn't happen all the time, and doesn't seem related to a fast start from stop, or a long "ridding the clutch" pull. The sound definitely is coming from the rear of the car, and appears to be be near or around the rear axle. Oddly enough, it's more easily replicated when turning right from a stop, as opposed to left or straight.

I've layed on the ground near the rear passenger tire, and even popped the engine to listen while a friend pulled away, but it sounds closer to the middle rear of the car than in the engine or brake related. That said, it does sound like it is coming from the back right (passenger) side of the car.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by s4treg
I have an intermittent issue, that appears to be worse when it's cold, where starting from a light, stopped, the car makes a quick squeal, and then goes away. This doesn't happen all the time, and doesn't seem related to a fast start from stop, or a long "ridding the clutch" pull. The sound definitely is coming from the rear of the car, and appears to be be near or around the rear axle. Oddly enough, it's more easily replicated when turning right from a stop, as opposed to left or straight.

I've layed on the ground near the rear passenger tire, and even popped the engine to listen while a friend pulled away, but it sounds closer to the middle rear of the car than in the engine or brake related. That said, it does sound like it is coming from the back right (passenger) side of the car.

Any thoughts?
Serpentine belt slipping or an idler roller or tensioner roller bearing failing. A power steering pump low on fluid.

Can you reproduce the noise with the car stationary and the engine initially at idle by then revving the engine a bit -- not too much with the engine cold of course? What about cranking steering wheel full lock right or left? Don't leave wheel at full lock cause it puts a strain on the power steering system.

Or does the noise appear only when the car is moving? If this is the case check for something caught between the brake rotor and the splash shield or even something caught/jammed in the brake pad area of the passenger side rear brake.

Added: Forgot to mention is can be a water pump making the noise too. If the noise appears cold you can remove the serpentine belt and start the engine, run it a moment or so even put it in gear and drive the car a short distance to see if the noise still present.

Be sure you get the belt on the same way it came off, routing and the direction it was running. Check the belt for any signs of distress. Check the accessory drives for any play. Check the belt for a sharp edge. The inner edge most likely if any edge has a sharpness to it, but neither edge should. If one or both edges sharp the belt's rubbing a pulley side and these belts should not contact the side of the pulley for any reason other than an accessory drive bearing is going bad and the drive has too much play and causing the pulley to **** a bit out of position and the belt to track crooked and rub.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:28 AM
georgiadis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all!

I am having a similar issue. When I start the engine, there is a squeal coming from the back.
The squeal disappears after 1-1.5 min.
Opening the engine lid, the noise seems to be coming from the belt or bearing, but I cannot be 100% certain.
Moreover, the larger of the bearings that the belt passes through (right behind the air filter) seems to be rotating a little weird - the best analogy I can think of is a bent wheel rotating on the balancer.

Any clues as to what the issue may be? That bearing failing?
And how imminent is the problem? Can it wait or should I take it to the shop asap?

Also another 2 questions: (i) are our camshaft driven by belts or chains and (ii) is it a no-interference engine?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:48 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s4treg
Any thoughts?

Might be suspension. Trouble shooting try not bending body work but exercise the suspension. If you jack it up check for play in the axles and suspension joints.

Originally Posted by georgiadis
I am having a similar issue. When I start the engine, there is a squeal coming from the back.
The squeal disappears after 1-1.5 min.
Change the belt.
Don't use belt dressing spray. I tried that with another car and it just makes tings worse.

Quick Reply: C4 - Rear Squeal from standing start ??