Sponsored by:

Aftermarket warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:33 PM
tntempest
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket warranty

All those with aftermarket warranties that would recommend the companies please chime in. I did a search on here and read through hundreds of posts and half the recommended companies are out of business. Most of the ones I have gotten quotes from that have good ratings only cover $4000 max engine and $2500 max trans. These have cost between $850, $1400 and one was $2200.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

How many miles? I just looked into this for weeks. If you are over 100K forget about it. Stay away from endurance warranty services
Old 01-11-2010, 04:18 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in the process of buying one through my local Porsche dealer. This is the warranty company they have used for years and suggest when they cannot CPO a car. I am not going to recommend or even give the name of the company, as I have no direct experience with them yet. Cost for 3/36 (taking my car out to 77k) is around $3,000 for full coverage without a lifetime limit and with a $200 deductible.

As I was mostly just wanting coverage in case of an IMS failure I looked into drivetrain only policies, but did not find one that was enough of a savings to warrant not going with full bumper to bumper.

If you are looking at warranties make sure you check for things like seals and gaskets coverage, lifetime caps, and 'preventive' repairs. You also want to check what the warranty reimburses for labor. Most good shops and dealers are well over $100 an hour, but some warranties reimburse at a much lower rate or list jobs for less hours than they actually take by the book.

Last edited by rpm's S2; 01-11-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:04 PM
tntempest
Advanced

My car has 75k
Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

mine has 77k. EasyCare quoted 2500 for a 2/24k. I'd rather put that money into the IMS update. Which I beleive would give peace of mind well beyond two years.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 PM
99C2
Instructor

ClickClickBoom:

T0 me that would make the most sense!

99C2
Old 01-16-2010, 03:21 PM
john kish
2nd Gear

This is what I am thinking. I got a qoute of $3500 for 4 years/$500 deductible, per incident.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:59 PM
s_kelly
Advanced

Easycare is transferrable and refundable (albeit somewhat heavily prorated). I got a 3/36 bumper to bumper for that reason. My thinking was that the IMS isn't the only thing that can go wrong - just the most expensive- and since the warranty is transferrrable it might help at resale time. Eventually it'll need a clutch and I can always do the upgraded bearing at that time.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:48 PM
john kish
2nd Gear

I got a Easycare quote: Primary Care/48months/61,000miles/$500 deductible= $3121. 2003 C2 11,000 miles.
Deductible is per visit. Transferrable. No waiting period. No stated limit.
Includes taxes.
or, I can spend the money and have the RMS replaced and the IMS upgraded?
Self insure on anything else happening. Let's see. If I have the above repairs done under the warranty and have them done at the same time, I will be out $4000 (Cost of waranty plus the $500 deductible)...but I will still have warranty for the remainder of the period.
I am beginning to convince myself to do the warranty. I also like what S_Kelly says, "might help at resale time"...since it is transferrable.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:51 PM
georgiadis
Advanced

I recently got a Fidelity extended warranty from my local Porsche dealer.
If memory serves me right, it was $5.5K for 4 years, bumper-to-bumper exclusive-type (i.e. everything is covered except from X-Y-Z) coverage.
The reason I got it was my fear for an IMS failure.

Within a few months my targa roof failed. Fidelity covered everything (~$12K) bar my $100 deductible.
My feeling is that although the IMS failure is the main issue with our cars, there are a lot of other things that can go wrong and almost everything is expensive to fix.
Once you add in the associated peace of mind, for me at least, it is a must-have.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:55 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stay tuned...

I will find out this week how good my aftermarket warranty is. My 02 C2 is in the shop with cam actuator problems. If it needs to be replaced (failed part) it is supposedly covered, if it just needs to be cleaned then I have to pay $750 labor for the repair. I have not had good experiences with aftermarket warranties so I'm somewhat cynical with my expectations.

I'll let you know what happens if you're interested.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:17 AM
s_kelly
Advanced

sandersd: I'm interested i nhearing how it goes.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:26 AM
NJS1987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by georgiadis
I recently got a Fidelity extended warranty from my local Porsche dealer.
If memory serves me right, it was $5.5K for 4 years, bumper-to-bumper exclusive-type (i.e. everything is covered except from X-Y-Z) coverage.
The reason I got it was my fear for an IMS failure.

Within a few months my targa roof failed. Fidelity covered everything (~$12K) bar my $100 deductible.
My feeling is that although the IMS failure is the main issue with our cars, there are a lot of other things that can go wrong and almost everything is expensive to fix.
Once you add in the associated peace of mind, for me at least, it is a must-have.
I also went with Fidelity when purchasing my 00 Cab. 2yr/20k powertrain warranty for $2,000ish, $100 deductible.

I've used the warranty many times at respected Porsche mechanic shops of my choosing. Never had an issue with Fidelity, they've always stepped up to the plate.

Mine expires in two weeks - and I'm not too sure what I'm going to do
And I've broken completely even on the warranty btw, so I do recommend getting one.

I worked at a Porsche/BMW/Audi shop for a few weeks this past summer. The owner spoke very highly of Mercury aftermarket warranties and said they are the best out there. So, you may want to look into those as well.

One thing the gentleman from the paragraph above told me was to avoid ALL warranty companies that give you a "cheap" warranty. You're more than likely going to find exclusions on anything that fails, or worse yet, you may find a company who does not pull through. You really have to be cautious.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I have a Fidelity warranty (a JM&A company) on 2 of my cars. The insurance company backing it has an "Excellent" rating from AM Best. I know that the 4 Porsche dealers and the BMW dealer in my region all sell Fidelity and accept it.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:55 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is without a doubt the least equivocal 3rd party warranty thread on the whole site. This is great. Who wants to post or PM me a link for Fidelity? My Porsche warranty runs out in a few months (it was extended due to the original dealer misplacing the CPO paperwork), I'm in the market

Quick Reply: Aftermarket warranty