Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
How long does it usually take for the oil to go from just ran hot, to sitting in the garage warm? No way I want my first oil change to result in hot oil burns!
If you use a ratchet socket and put on some cheap vinyl gloves you shouldn't get burned.

I prefer to drain my oil while HOT just in case any of the deposits harden with the cooling of the oil and don't drain completely. Just my personal preference but not based on any real evidence of a difference.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:57 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't 0w-40 like water? Does it actually flow slowly when cold?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by rxjohn
Each qt of Mobil 1 0W-40 costs $6.99 at local Auto Part Store. I bought the Filter from Pelican for less than $15. Also bought a drain plug at a nominal cost.

Around $90 total cost? I needed 10 quarts of oil.
Last oil change I used Castrol Syntec 5w-50 oil. On sale at $4.99/quart. Took oil with car to local Porsche dealership service department and had oil change done at dealership. (I was in a time bind and car was due for an oil change before I could find time to do it myself.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long does it usually take for the oil to go from just ran hot, to sitting in the garage warm? No way I want my first oil change to result in hot oil burns!
I've managed to spill a bit of operating temp. oil just about every time I've changed it. If you're wearing those cheap blue shop gloves it'll just feel warm, won't bother you at all.

Motor oil is just bad at transferring heat. It may be very hot, but most of it slicks right off and what's left behind doesn't have the heat to hurt you. I think motor oil has about a quarter the thermal conductivity of regular old water.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I used to use a drain pan like the ones shown, with a "catch basin" and a small hole in it to drain the oil into the actual tank of the pan. Always spilled the oil as the oil drained out of the engine far faster than it would go through the samll hole. Bought a new drain pan that is open at the top and has a spout to pour out the oil. Never have a problem with spilling oil now. Once drained I put the oil into a 5 gallon pail from Home Depot. This way I can change the oil on the Porsche, or our other cars a couple of times, then take it to the local Jiffy Lube where they will accept used oil. AutoZone will also take it.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

What's the best tips to avoid spilling oil all over the place?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Isn't 0w-40 like water? Does it actually flow slowly when cold?
Mobil 1 0w-40 oil not quite as good in the spec department as some other oils.

Has been ok for thousands of miles but I drive my car (02 Boxster, currently with over 227K miles on it) alot and never short trips and change the oil/filter every 5K miles. Another car owner who takes shorter trips more frequently or wants to run more miles between oil changes might not be ok with Mobil 1 0w-40 oil.

Based on my unscientfic observations any oil: Mobil 1 0w-40, Mobil 1 15w-50, Mobil 1 5w-50, Mobil 1 10w-40 high mileage, Mobil 1 5w-40 (used in my VW TDi) and Mobil 1 5w-30 (used for awhile in my '06 GTO); all run like water when drained hot from engine.

Cold I don't know how they flow, but I believe they all flow ok. I note even with 15w-50 oil in my Boxster a year or two while I lived in the mid-west never caused any problems, even in cold cold weather starting and driving. I used this oil early on after I first bought the car new and this engine has over 227K miles on it and still runs great so even 15w-50 oil in cold weather apparently did it no harm.

However, I'd not advise 15w-50 be used in cold temperatures. You really should try to stick with a mutli-viscosity grade of oil that matches up well with the low temperatures experienced in where you live and drive.

My Boxster's engine has run more miles on 0w-40, 15w-50, and 10w-40 than most engines have run on any one oil and my Boxster's engine has suffered no apparent ill effects based on how well it continues to run.

My '03 Turbo is currently running Castrol Syntec 5w-50 oil.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:04 PM
buzztt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Rxjohn, good job!

If you change the oil in warmer weather, you can skip the jack stands part. Simply back you car part of the way out of the garage stopping when the rear wheels are still in the garage. The engine will overhang the driveway which, in most houses, is sloped away from the garage. This will give you an extra inch or two to work with.

Also, I use the 10 quart oil pan shown below. The large yellow top screws off, which exposes an open grill on the top, which allows the oil to flow into the pan easily.
where did you get the pan ?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Break the plug loose then set things up for draining. You can start with just a rag under where the oil will hit while using a wrench. Finish unscrewing after having the waste oil receiver lined up. Oil doesn't spew out just because the threads have been loosened and drips are few if any.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:25 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by buzztt
where did you get the pan ?
Looks like Autozone sells them for under $10!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Put down a plastic or canvas drop cloth, and use any large opening catch pan.
The last tip is to push the bolt up while you loosen it, that way when it's free you can quickly move out of the way, and the oil shoots straight down, instead of spraying all over like a water *****.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:55 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a dirty job! If you save $150 then you can buy a nice dinner and forget about your burns on your arms.
You will have bonded with your car and it's a good feeling.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

1. I use ramps for the car,
2. I cover my oil catch pan with nylons from the wife's drawer so I can spot any debris and catch the plug if I drop it.
3. Make sure you fill up the filter housing with oil first, then slowly drop the filter into the oil, let it soak up some oil, add more if you need too before raising the housing and oil filter up to the intake boss.
4. Make sure you lubed the O ring on the housing before hand and never roll the O ring on the housing - place it around the groove to prevent a twist in the rubber that can cause a sealing issue.
5. Buy a small bag of cat litter if you don't already own a cat - for emergency oil spill clean up!
6. I take my used oil to our local transfer station where they take it off my hands for recycling for no charge.
7. I pull out my lawn chair, fire up a cigar, pop a brew and put some Floyd on.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

To keep from making a mess when you change oil just recycle a 5-gallon paint can (plastic). Cut it down to the height needed and no more to fit under the car. Beats those silly little things designed for a car with 4-6 qts.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:05 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good tips, thanks!

I just looked at my last Indy oil change receipt. Aside from being charged $12 a quart for the oil, I was charged a $40 service fee, $33 for a Porsche filter, $12 for oil disposal. Total was over $200! That was 2 years back, I must have been richer then. No more. I'm doing it myself in the spring!!

Last edited by AndyK; 01-12-2010 at 07:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil change