Sponsored by:

Can't clear CEL, code P0455

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:04 AM
johnnyz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't clear CEL, code P0455

I have had the CEL light on for a couple of days, so I bought a code reader tonight. I hooked it up and it showed P0455. I was expecting that, as I have had it a few times before, and it was always a loose gas cap. The problem is that I can't get the CRL light go off. I do an erase cycle, and the light stays on. I an using the reader properly.
Any ideas on why the light won't go out. I have been here for a couple of hours doing searches, and it seemd like everyone clears codes and turns off the lights all the time.
Johnny
Old 01-07-2010, 03:05 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you send the car to the mechanic, what you can do is check for any disconnected hoses (vacuum hose) or wiring under the hood. Check also the air filter whether it is clocked or not. If you have spare air filter, replace the old one and check if the warning light stays off or not.
http://www.revmods.com/check-engine-warning-light/

I hope the above helps.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyz
I have been here for a couple of hours doing searches, and it seemd like everyone clears codes and turns off the lights all the time.
Not all products clear codes. Straight 'readers' will not unless they have software loaded that allows this.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Loren
Drifting

If you don't fix the problem then the light gets turned on again by the DME.
P0455 says that fuel system vapor leak test is failing (required by US EPA and most states smog tests).
This test is run at every engine start.
Most likely causes are a bad gas cap o-ring, a bad gas cap, or badly leaking EVAP canister )or one of the EVAP lines).
You need to fix the cause to get the light to stay off.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:27 PM
johnnyz
Intermediate

Thanks guys,
Loren - I was thinking that something must be really really loose or bad to have the light go on so fast.
I am going to check something else out. I have a detached garage in my back yard that I keep the cab in, and unfortunately there has been a bunch of mice living in there too. I have been slowly getting rid of them, but one of them may have gotten up into the car and chewed a wire. I saw this as a cause in a couple of posts. I am going to keep thew car out of the garage until all mice are gone. What a pain in the butt.
Johnny
Old 01-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Thanks guys,
Loren - I was thinking that something must be really really loose or bad to have the light go on so fast.
I am going to check something else out. I have a detached garage in my back yard that I keep the cab in, and unfortunately there has been a bunch of mice living in there too. I have been slowly getting rid of them, but one of them may have gotten up into the car and chewed a wire. I saw this as a cause in a couple of posts. I am going to keep thew car out of the garage until all mice are gone. What a pain in the butt.
Johnny
If mice have been at the car moving the car out of the garage will not long keep the mice out of the car.

They'll still be drawn to the car cause of the smell of their presence and the fact that a little used or infrequently used car represents a nice mouse house in or out of a garage.

If mice have been at the car you have to fix the damage, clean the car up and find a way to even though the mice will still be attracted -- initially -- to the car discouraging the mice from doing anything more than maybe kicking the tires.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 PM
johnnyz
Intermediate

I don't know if the mice have been in the car, I have just read a few posts about it happening.
The car is a daily driver as well. I put the hard top on in the winter and rip around town in it.
I will post if I find any evidence of mice. I went through the engine compartment last night with a high powered flashlight and a dental mirror, and there have been no mice there, it is spotless. I will look in the front around the gas tank next.
Johnny
Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't know if the mice have been in the car, I have just read a few posts about it happening.
The car is a daily driver as well. I put the hard top on in the winter and rip around town in it.
I will post if I find any evidence of mice. I went through the engine compartment last night with a high powered flashlight and a dental mirror, and there have been no mice there, it is spotless. I will look in the front around the gas tank next.
Johnny
Missed the daily driver part before. If you drive car every day, or even less often, mice are not in the car. My WAG is the car needs to sit a couple of weeks, although if one parks it where mice are the mice can get in the car in no time. First night.

If car parked in garage and mice sign spotted around the garage almost certainly mice are in the car.

If garage clear of mice sign, car is likely clear as well.

The mice will nest in a car but they have to forage for food and water outside of the car.

If car parked outside or in an area where mice sign hard to spot...you might want to put a couple of mouse traps in the car baited with a tiny dab of peanut butter.

Then check the traps every other day or so. Just glance at traps. Don't make a big fuss around the car.

If you catch a mouse chances are there is another. A danger is if you catch momma mouse and she has babies they'll starve and die in the car which stinks up the car when it gets warm again.

If you catch a mouse in the car then you need to be very thorough and inspect the car for any signs of a nest.

Look under car on top of underbody or engine panels for any signs of nest trash. The panels should be clear of anything. If anything on panels....

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Loren
If you don't fix the problem then the light gets turned on again by the DME.
P0455 says that fuel system vapor leak test is failing (required by US EPA and most states smog tests).
This test is run at every engine start.
Most likely causes are a bad gas cap o-ring, a bad gas cap, or badly leaking EVAP canister )or one of the EVAP lines).
You need to fix the cause to get the light to stay off.
Loren -- is that code also activated when the switch on the fill tube is disconnected? I'm pretty sure there is a switch there (under the fender liner) that detects if the cap is in place. I feel silly mentioning this after learning so much from you on Renntech.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Loren
Drifting

Originally Posted by Darren
Loren -- is that code also activated when the switch on the fill tube is disconnected? I'm pretty sure there is a switch there (under the fender liner) that detects if the cap is in place. I feel silly mentioning this after learning so much from you on Renntech.
The EPA vapor leak test is run ever time you turn the key to the on position. So, any open lines, seals, or valves would cause a fault.

Quick Reply: Can't clear CEL, code P0455