Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Cabriolet Hardtop Standard Equipment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:10 AM
greenmp
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 hardtop receivers

Anyone out there that has updated their bayonet receivers or just has a set that would like to sell them email me at greenmp@msn.com.

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:53 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 99C2
Hardtop:

Actually mine came with the hard top (bought the car used) - It actually made the car feel like different car with the top on. I kinda liked the option!

99C2
DITTO 99C2
Old 12-03-2013, 01:01 AM
tdurden032
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so envious of the hard top owners out there - '04 cabrio with the "delete" option - so I'm needing the receiver kit/hardware and the top to help with the Midwest winters...
Old 12-03-2013, 10:05 AM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

The hard tops really are great in winter. Keeps the heat in and the cold out. Works well in summer too, if the heat gets to be too much.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:26 PM
donking
Intermediate

Originally Posted by babylonboots
The hard tops really are great in winter. Keeps the heat in and the cold out. Works well in summer too, if the heat gets to be too much.
Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Mine too and I keep the top in a cradle above the car in the garage. A nice addition during the winter months I think.
I winch the top down from the ceiling straight onto the car in 5 minutes... alone...
Originally Posted by fpb111
Barry,
Folks that enjoy the cars all year would have a use for the hardtops. It is like having two different cars. When my hardtop is on the car is much quieter inside and I have more head room.
Also subsequent owners, or even original purchasers, might want to do PCA DE in the car. They need the hardtop to do that. (not all tracks accept that PCA will allow this)
Originally Posted by pszikla
if you drive the car in winter in places where a lot of salt is put on the road then the hardtop would be a blessing to keep the salt from staining the material and over a few winters damaging the integrity of the softtop fabric.
Pete
Originally Posted by 99C2
Hardtop:

Actually mine came with the hard top (bought the car used) - It actually made the car feel like different car with the top on. I kinda liked the option!

99C2
+5. My 03 cab came with the hard-top. Even though it is parked in a garage and I don't drive it much in the rain, it is nice to have and is easily stored. Also, the aero-dynamics are better with the hard-top, as it starts to float at about 10 MPH less with the soft-top.

BTW, A buddy who recently got a 4-door J**p with a hard-top spent over $8,000 for a soft-top and half doors. Other cars can be expensive too.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:48 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

No need for the hardtop out here in sunny California. Mine sits in a basement year round gathering dust. We don't get snow and it seems to rain mainly at night so I see no reason to put it on. Maybe if I was taking the car up to the mountains to ski.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Chesmet
3rd Gear

Hardtop is pretty cool for winter (indeed quieter and it protects softtop)
And of course, when I go on trackdays I prefer to set it it's heavier but safer.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Fishstock
AutoX

Does anyone know if the Hardtop mounts were standard in the car whether or not you took the hardtop or delete options from factory? I bought a hardtop for my 2004 996TT and the mounts are NOT in the car. Bummer, thats another $400.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:54 PM
zachsdad1
Instructor

My 2002 had the hardtop delete option, but the mounting hardware was present. I picked up a hardtop off of CL.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hardtop option

All 996 Cabs up to the 2003 model had the rear receiver hardware installed regardless of if the car had the hardtop or not. Starting in 2004, the hardware was not installed if the car was not fitted with a hardtop at the factory.

It is an easy retrofit, but beware that there are two types of rear mount receivers, a twist-lock version on cars up to 2002 and then an screw-in version on the 2003 cars or earlier cars that went in for a TSB to address hardtop rattling.

If you get a used hardtop, be sure to look at the rear mounting pins to see what type they are so you can order the right receiver mounts.

Here are the two types of rear mount receivers. The older version is on the right.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:52 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a hardtop with my used cab and have had it on a few times. It rattles across bad roads. I built a lifting harass for $20 or $30 worth of pulleys and rings from HD so it can be taken off and on by one person. Never the less, we have too many nice days in Texas all year (like today--12/14) to justify putting it on. It has been hanging on the lift for several years.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:39 PM
Fishstock
AutoX

Looks like my 04 did not come with the mounts. The hardtop I have has the bayonet style pins. Ill order the correct mounts and then keep my fingers crossed that its not an ordeal to attach them.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:44 PM
fullthrottle52
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Barry Lenoble
Why is that stupid? I have a cab and I don't have (and don't want) a hardtop. Where would I put it? My car stays in the garage unless the weather is nice and then I want to have the top down. I don't believe I would ever put the hardtop on and it would just get in the way and collect dust (kind of like my car these days).

Barry
That is a shame. I have a hard top and it goes on at thanksgiving and comes off at the first sign of spring. I drive mine year round and enjoy it. (Of course not on salt days).
Old 12-19-2014, 08:11 PM
k9cbw
6th Gear

Seeing as this is a CABRIO thread, do any of you guys have water ingress from your hard tops?

I've just taken delivery of a hard top, but I'm getting damp carpets, because water is coming in from the window seals. The soft top is totally water proof.

Any advice on how to fix it?

Quick Reply: 996 Cabriolet Hardtop Standard Equipment?