Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Alarm question - horn honks all the time when I lock the car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:48 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alarm question - horn honks all the time when I lock the car?

It's not a serious issue compared to recent threads, but...

When I use the remote to lock the car, the horn honks (even though I only pressed the remote once). I thought a horn honk indicates the motion sensor is turned off?

Do I need to reset the alarm or something?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Arena996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is indicating something is not closed completely. If you leave the armrest storage open it will hink. If you leave the trunk unlatched it will honk. If a door is not latched fully it will honk. If all items are latched then it is possible one of the latch sensors is faulty. Another thing comes to mind is if you recently upgraded to a non Porsche radio. The factory radio is connected to the alarm and will sense if it has been removed.
JIM
Old 01-05-2010, 02:04 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arena996
Another thing comes to mind is if you recently upgraded to a non Porsche radio. The factory radio is connected to the alarm and will sense if it has been removed.
JIM
Ah ha! Good thinking. That's probably it. So the damned horn will honk all the time now? Does that mean the motion sensor is not working, or is that a different kind of honk (after hitting the remote button twice)?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

It's the radio, there is a wire that needs to be grounded that will stop it. I did it in my car after i swapped the Nav in, There is a writeup over on Renntech. The wire is brown if I remember correctly.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:09 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
It's the radio, there is a wire that needs to be grounded that will stop it. I did it in my car after i swapped the Nav in, There is a writeup over on Renntech. The wire is brown if I remember correctly.
I thought I wired up everything according to instructions. I'll have to see if there is a brown wire floating around. Doubt it though.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:09 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena996
It is indicating something is not closed completely. If you leave the armrest storage open it will hink. If you leave the trunk unlatched it will honk. If a door is not latched fully it will honk. If all items are latched then it is possible one of the latch sensors is faulty. Another thing comes to mind is if you recently upgraded to a non Porsche radio. The factory radio is connected to the alarm and will sense if it has been removed.
JIM
What's the difference between a hink and a honk?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:24 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJorgen
Ring finger vs. Middle finger!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen
The hink is a honk your brain normally doesn't register fully. This can easily be heard when the first honk of the alarm warning signal goes off while you are concentrating on walking away from the car. Your first thought is huh my car is doing mating calls to other porsches getting all horny? Thus the combination of honk and kinky was turned into hink. The term hinky is reserved for a porsche goosing another car during a race.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:13 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The hink is a honk your brain normally doesn't register fully. This can easily be heard when the first honk of the alarm warning signal goes off while you are concentrating on walking away from the car. Your first thought is huh my car is doing mating calls to other porsches getting all horny? Thus the combination of honk and kinky was turned into hink. The term hinky is reserved for a porsche goosing another car during a race.
Thats freaking hillarious!

Quick Reply: Alarm question - horn honks all the time when I lock the car?