abiazs:

Well put!

99C2
Old 01-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tntempest
So in five to ten years whoever can come to market with a Subaru WRX engine conversion, LS series conversion, or heck even an 993 engine coversion will make a mint. Since none of these cars will be worth the money to repair and engine or trans.

http://www.kennedyeng.com/vw_por.htm
Thats like being a cross dresser. I just cant bring myself to do that.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
After more thought on this whole situation. It is really up to the current owners to save the value of the cars. I think the best song to sing at this point is, instead of trying to hide the elephant in the room, You need to make the IMS a standard service issue. Every 50K the bearing should be replaced with the non-rennlist sponsors retro fit bearing kit. Much like the timming belt of a 928 should be done every 60K. The cost is reasonable not more than I would expect from a super car.

Its up to you, Keep trying to hide it or expose it and treat as "normal service"
Well, had I followed this with my 02 Boxster I would have paid for 4 and soon to be 5 IMS bearing services at God only knows how much per service vs. not paying anything cause at 227K miles car's original engine is still on its original IMS.

There's no need to hide the fact the engine has an IMS. Were I putting my Boxster on the market I would stress the car's good service history and that it is still in such good shape means it has been well taken care and not abused or misused.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to see a dragster with twin turbo charged vw engines run a dizzying 1/4 mile. I wonder how much a guy could stuff in with that adapter. Would take some cross referencing but if you have the garage and always wanted dabble there are some options of frying a vw instead of a nice porsche engine. I'm sure there are junk yard vw engines laying around cheap.
http://www.turbo-kits.com/20t_fwd_turbo_kits.html

Oh yah not too sure how big of a bang the 400-500hp vw would do in the engine compartment.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Well, had I followed this with my 02 Boxster I would have paid for 4 and soon to be 5 IMS bearing services at God only knows how much per service vs. not paying anything cause at 227K miles car's original engine is still on its original IMS.

There's no need to hide the fact the engine has an IMS. Were I putting my Boxster on the market I would stress the car's good service history and that it is still in such good shape means it has been well taken care and not abused or misused.

Sincerely,

Macster.
That is impressive and enlightening. How many other High mile no problems engines are here. ANd not I am not asking to be a smart ***. I am asking these people to chime in.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

The car market is just crazy right now. I've spent the last month looking for a new car for the wife - and there were no deals to be had. Audi and MB were taking $500 off sticker and making me feel like I was taking food of their plate.

In the process I drove a 06 Cayman S. Felt underpowered but really fun. For kicks I asked what the dealer would give me for my 2002 C4S, new PZeros, flawless in/out, Tubi exhaust, 49K miles. He came back with no money off the CS, and 22.5 for my 4S.

F--- that.

I've heard Porsche is running a sale on their engines right now - $9k for 3.6 X51s... I think as someone stated before - the lower price point for a replacement engine really makes keeping the car more appealing!
Old 01-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Malakas
The car market is just crazy right now. I've spent the last month looking for a new car for the wife - and there were no deals to be had. Audi and MB were taking $500 off sticker and making me feel like I was taking food of their plate.

In the process I drove a 06 Cayman S. Felt underpowered but really fun. For kicks I asked what the dealer would give me for my 2002 C4S, new PZeros, flawless in/out, Tubi exhaust, 49K miles. He came back with no money off the CS, and 22.5 for my 4S.

F--- that.

I've heard Porsche is running a sale on their engines right now - $9k for 3.6 X51s... I think as someone stated before - the lower price point for a replacement engine really makes keeping the car more appealing!
Don't think you can count on those discounted engines being available for ever. They'll be sold and then the source of engines will be gone and prices for engines will climb.

However, I don't think you should get rid of the car simply cause replacement engines may not be as cheap or readily available in the future when or if you need one either.

Frankly and in my opinion these cars worth keeping cause they're fine cars and a pleasure to own and drive.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Malakas

F--- that.

I've seen some smoking deals on used Cayman Ss, low miles, in the high $30s.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:51 PM
lazydays77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this in another thread but thought I'd share. I had been looking from March 2009 to Oct (purchased) 2009. I'm in Chicago and found a very very thin market. There just wasn't inventory so what I did find was priced at a premium (2000 C4 with 115k miles for $22k). I found comparable specs in California, AZ & FL (to name a few) and they went for 17-8k. There is absolutely a regional price swing due to a lack of supply. I bought an '01 C4 with 74k miles for $21k from a dealer in Boston and a car with the same specs sold at a dealer in Chicago for $25k. Might be worth to shop around.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by lazydays77
I posted this in another thread but thought I'd share. I had been looking from March 2009 to Oct (purchased) 2009. I'm in Chicago and found a very very thin market. There just wasn't inventory so what I did find was priced at a premium (2000 C4 with 115k miles for $22k). I found comparable specs in California, AZ & FL (to name a few) and they went for 17-8k. There is absolutely a regional price swing due to a lack of supply. I bought an '01 C4 with 74k miles for $21k from a dealer in Boston and a car with the same specs sold at a dealer in Chicago for $25k. Might be worth to shop around.
Agreed.

I was looking in Chicago for a possible 996, but I settled on a Boxster S due to the fact that I could not find a 996 under $20k in Chicago. Granted, there were a few, but 95% were above that mark.

Quick Reply: Offered 13K for trade