Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Jon Schepps
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 996 oil pan extension

Is anyone familiar with this product from Mantissport:
http://mantissport.ca/Portals/0/Inst...%20Install.pdf

It extends the sump depth and oil pickup, similar to other products, but also includes a sheet metal windage tray that sits below the stock baffle but above the pickup, presumably further confining oil around the pickup. Website doesn't say how thick it is, but it appears thicker than the BK or LN Engineering units. Its also twice the price. My engine's sump sits flush to the rear cross-member, and lowering the sump by even a half inch make me nervous about getting it whacked in an off-course excursion.

Jon.
996 track
944 Turbo street/track - For Sale
Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 PM
carsareart
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that is thick. I guess you would have to think of what your goal is. Have you installed the x-51 oil pan? I have scratches on the lowest part of my engine assembly from pretty calm street driving and some auto crossing.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:44 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

I would be concerned with a lowered race car like ours.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:06 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember seeing a VERY low oil pan (with protection plate) on a couple of highly developed I/H class 996 cars last year and it seems they never scraped them on the track.

Also, I would compare the potential lower height oil pan with the rest of your car's suspension bits (especially in the front) to see what would "hit first" when one takes the car "agricultural."
Old 12-31-2009, 11:30 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Not sure that I see much need for more oil on these cars, but I have no evidence or data to support my position. I just installed the X51 pan to help keep the oil near the pickup.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Jon Schepps
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The x51 pan is going in for sure.
The question is whether this is sufficient or is a sump extension also needed.
From reading the installation notes, this extension must be 1 inch -- they refer to 1" spacers and the need for 1.5 liters of added oil volume. I think they went deeper in order to get the oil pickup below the added windage tray.

This would put the pan 1" below my rear crossmember and it would certainly be the lowest part back there. Yes, there are lower things up front, but they're not connected to a very big, expensive part, like an engine!

Perhaps the 1/2" extension and a skid plate is the way to go.

It would be nice to see some oil pressure data. I may even have it if the data-acq system in this new-to-me car is working properly, but I don't yet have the software to view it.

Jon.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:49 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

For a dedicated track M96, I'd go with a full accusump setup of some sort; I think the X51 kit is described at RT.

Trending Topics

Old 12-31-2009, 02:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

As Whitey stated, an accusump is the way to go. The oil sump extension is a waste. There is PLENTY of oil in the M96 system so the last thing you need is another liter sitting in the sump.

My boxster race car has the X51 baffled pan and the accusump. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:35 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LVDell
My boxster race car has the X51 baffled pan and the accusump. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Dell,
Could you tell us more about the accusump system and install? Did you go with manual valve or electronic?
Any pics of installation?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm assuming it's electronic. I don't have any pics since the car is at the race shop.

Quick Reply: 996 oil pan extension