Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who Does Your Minor Interval Maintenance Work(15,000 Mi, 45,000 Mi,etc...)?
I do the work myself.
48.48%
A Porsche dealer does the work.
21.21%
An Indy does the work.
30.30%
I do not have the work performed at all.
0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Who Does Your Minor Interval Maintenance(15,000Mi, 45,000Mi, etc...)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 05:26 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Who Does Your Minor Interval Maintenance(15,000Mi, 45,000Mi, etc...)

My car will reach the 45,000 mile mark within the next couple of weeks and I’d like to get some opinions on my maintenance options. I have a 2000 C2 and everything is in excellent working order. I do the basic maintenance on the car myself such as oil changes etc. I have my state inspection done every year at the local P dealer.

If I would take the car to the dealer(or indy) to have the 45,000 mile inspection performed, I still plan on doing the oil change and particle filter change myself. All that is left is basically a thorough visual inspection of the car.

I guess my question is, should I still have my dealer do the visual checks so that I can have that logged in the cars maintenance book or should I save the money and do the checks myself.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Eric
Old 12-24-2009, 05:32 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the 96k with myself and a friend. Renntech has the criteria for it, and I checked each item off the list, signed, dated, jotted down any notes, and put that in my maintenance log.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:11 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

IIRC its a lot of 'checks' and a oil and filter change. I could tackle it myself, but since I am still under CPO warranty I'm having the dealer do it. I have told them not to do a couple items on the list since I have already done them.

If there are no warranty concerns, and you know how to do everything, do it yourself, or take it to a good indy and document that you had it done.

Merry Xmas!
Old 12-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wouldn't know - only got to 3400.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Wouldn't know - only got to 3400.
I'd say your 'old' Porsche will never get to any of those mileage service intervals....
Old 12-25-2009, 10:47 AM
aben8057
Drifting

DIY..outside of replacing the oil, air and pollen filter the rest is visual inspection.

Even if you do decide to take it to your dealer. I would first give it a try, this way you can get more familiar with your car and compare your notes vs. the tech

I also use the Porsche form and document it, staple receipts and pics.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resqir1s/P...aintenance.pdf
Old 12-25-2009, 11:49 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by aben8057
I also use the Porsche form and document it, staple receipts and pics.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resqir1s/P...aintenance.pdf
Nice! Excellent idea. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:11 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

For warranty purposes, all work done by authorized Porsche dealer. Usually, Ruf.

-td
Old 12-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Nidan
Intermediate

I always take it to my Indy, I wouldn't know what to look for on the visual inspection anyway.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I always have all of my work done at my local Porsche dealership. I have enjoyed an excellent relationship with them for 4 decades. Sadly, as much of a car guy as I am, and as a result of decades of trying, I have no natural skills at performing even the simplest maintenance without some frustration involved. It has always been thus for me. Despite reading, observation, actual hands-on training, and 45 years of "experience", my real experience has been that it is cheaper and faster for me to just go ahead and pay someone who does have the natural skills and profession training. They also bring to the table that skilled eye of experience that notes things that are out of place.
Yes, I am willingly and publicly admitting FAIL as a hands-on car guy. But in my case, it is worth every penny (and as an excellent customer in the sales department, service department, and parts department at my local dealer I get that "secret" discount), especially to see that red stamp in the service book in each square, with the dealer number 930, affirmimg that the maintenance was performed by a certified Porsche mechanic.
Folks around here value that stamp and a complete set of matching service record receipts, far more than a verbal promise from the owner that he performed all of the required services himself.

Just my personal opinion.

I, personally, would not consider buying a used Porsche built in the last 20 years that was not equally well documented and serviced by a dealer.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:05 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

always had the indy do the work....even when the car was under warranty from new.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I head to my dealer. They have been very good and are very careful.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:59 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
... Sadly, as much of a car guy as I am, and as a result of decades of trying, I have no natural skills at performing even the simplest maintenance without some frustration involved. It has always been thus for me. Despite reading, observation, actual hands-on training, and 45 years of "experience", my real experience has been that it is cheaper and faster for me to just go ahead and pay someone who does have the natural skills and profession training. They also bring to the table that skilled eye of experience that notes things that are out of place...
I second your thoughts on this - right down to the "I'm a car guy who really is not that competent with a wrench" admission. Brave soul!

It has always seemed to me a bit of a false economy, unless you are a fully qualified mechanic, to service a modern, complex car. Particularly one that is built to very tight and exacting tolerances and designed to be driven at high speeds. Don't get me wrong, some people can do this in their own garage. But many cannot and do so anyway. My mechanic has spent tens of thousands of dollars on special tools and diagnostic equipment that most people just do not have lying around for their convenience every year or so. I have always valued the time that my mechanic spends with my Porsches, not just doing the requested maintenance but also inspecting other stuff I know little about. Now, this requires a long-term relationship with a shop that you can trust, otherwise it gets expensive.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
I'd say your 'old' Porsche will never get to any of those mileage service intervals....
Hugh already has her covered and garaged for the winter. Still hasn't hit 4K. Someday that baby will run....
Old 12-26-2009, 09:34 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
I second your thoughts on this - right down to the "I'm a car guy who really is not that competent with a wrench" admission. Brave soul!

It has always seemed to me a bit of a false economy, unless you are a fully qualified mechanic, to service a modern, complex car. Particularly one that is built to very tight and exacting tolerances and designed to be driven at high speeds. Don't get me wrong, some people can do this in their own garage. But many cannot and do so anyway. My mechanic has spent tens of thousands of dollars on special tools and diagnostic equipment that most people just do not have lying around for their convenience every year or so. I have always valued the time that my mechanic spends with my Porsches, not just doing the requested maintenance but also inspecting other stuff I know little about. Now, this requires a long-term relationship with a shop that you can trust, otherwise it gets expensive.
The service the OP is asking about, most fluid and filter changes, does not require much by way of tools or skills - trust me

Quick Reply: Who Does Your Minor Interval Maintenance(15,000Mi, 45,000Mi, etc...)