Sponsored by:

Found 2 oil leaks - updated with CPO coverage results

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:56 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI

I've been almost regretting paying a higher price for a CPO...until now. This service may come close to paying for the $2k CPO fee.
I know you have a really low mileage car but you may want to consider replacing the clutch.

It's 8 years old and could have some oil residue on it.
If you order the clutch from sunset you can get the whole kit for $500.
Then just bring the clutch kit in and ask the dealer to put it in when they reinstall the trans. No labor and discounted OEM parts. That's what I did when my RMS leaked. And I have a newer CPO as well.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
I know you have a really low mileage car but you may want to consider replacing the clutch.

Then just bring the clutch kit in and ask the dealer to put it in when they reinstall the trans. No labor and discounted OEM parts. That's what I did when my RMS leaked. And I have a newer CPO as well.
I'm considering replaing the clutch and they will be measuring it for me. It does have some slight (very slight) chatter when pulling away in 1st gear. However I have a decision to make regarding this:
1. Replace the clutch now since the dealer says no additional labor
2. Wait until the end of CPO (11/2011) and install LN IMS upgrade and clutch at an indy. I will intall the IMS upgrade at that point if I keep the car beyond 11/2011. I will likely put about 10-12k max on the car each year, so it will have 35-40k miles on the clock in 2 years.

Any advice?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:31 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’d replace clutch now if needed and save on labor. Also ask if dealer parts dept will price match Sun Coast's or Sun Set's prices.
Seems the dealer that sold you the car and the CPO didn't actually do the inspection and the required repairs. Your clutch should be within spec if it was recently CPO'd. If it is out of spec give the selling dealer a call and while you have them on the phone ask them to pick up the tab for the PS leak work as that should have been caught and taken care of by them before they sold the car. I'd also double check with them (or any other P dealer) to see if this repair should be covered by the newer CPO limits that apply to your car if it was purchased recently. I've heard stories of dealers not having/using the current CPO coverage list and denying service that is now covered.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

+1 on replacing the clutch now, especially if it has 50% or less wear remaining. You may or may not do the LM IMS replacement later. Since the dealer will be replacing PMS, get the new clutch installed now for free (labor) plus the cost of the parts (your expense).
Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Typical stealer. Replacing the oil filler tube because there is some yello gunk, give me a break!! It is probably condensation related, nothing to do with the neck and cap.

As for the Steering pump resevior, the two o-rings list for $2.02@, and It only take about 15 minutes to take off the tank and replace the o-rings. Now you probably would have to repalce the fluid, and Porsche charges an arm and a leg for Pentosin.

Looks to me like they are taking advantage of both Porsche (under the CPO for the filler neck, cap etc.) and Optical TDI for the steering fluid leak.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:17 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

O-rings and gaskets are typically not covered on aftermarket warranties unless you pay extra... but surprised they are not covered by the CPO warranty from Porsche.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by soverystout

Did you have a noticeable difference with the new clutch?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:42 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Did you have a noticeable difference with the new clutch?
Night and day difference. My car had 35K on it when I bought it.
The clutch wasn't bad but the old pressure plate made the clutch action far more stiff (and a bit noisy) than I thought it should be.

Once they replaced it, the pedal was smooth as butter and the action was really improved.

Plus it gives you peice of mind that a wear item that is costly to get to is brand new and in perfect shape.

With the low miles you have, the flywheel should be perfect and not require any replacement.

My dealer was going to sell me the clutch kit for $800.

I said really? really? Sunset sent it to me for $468.65 plus $20 for shipping.
The day I had the RMS replaced I said, "there's a clutch kit on the passenger side floor, please use it when putting everything back together."

Dealers reponse, "no problem"
Old 01-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
O-rings and gaskets are typically not covered on aftermarket warranties unless you pay extra... but surprised they are not covered by the CPO warranty from Porsche.
UPDATE: I pushed back on the dealer on the power steering issue. He called Porsche and they directed him to an exclusions list for the CPO (apparently not available to us). He said it does in state the PS pump and associated o-rings are a "wear and tear" item. He's going to provide me with a copy of it though.

They said they clutch was in remarkedly good shape and does not need replaced, but would give me a quote on parts. It's all going back together today, so I decided not to replace the clutch due to their observation of the condition.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:34 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: I pushed back on the dealer on the power steering issue. He called Porsche and they directed him to an exclusions list for the CPO (apparently not available to us). He said it does in state the PS pump and associated o-rings are a "wear and tear" item. He's going to provide me with a copy of it though.

They said they clutch was in remarkedly good shape and does not need replaced, but would give me a quote on parts. It's all going back together today, so I decided not to replace the clutch due to their observation of the condition.
Optical
The power steering pump leak should have been caught and fixed before the car was sold to you as a CPO two weeks ago. I’d bet at a minimum dealers are supposed to check basic fluid levels during the following

“To give you maximum security when buying a Porsche, all vehicles within the Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Car Program must pass a demanding quality inspection. An obligatory checklist with over 100 quality criteria is used for this purpose. This way you can rest assured that your pre-owned Porsche is in perfect condition, both technically and visually.”

and

“• Porsche Approved vehicles are inspected by factory trained technicians who conduct a mechanical and cosmetic 100+ point inspection
• Repairs are carried out in line with the strict Porsche quality criteria”

If the leak started after your purchase I'm pretty sure you would have noticed some evidence on the ground if it was severe enough for the PS fluid reservoir to lose its entire contents during your short period of ownership.
But even if this is the case and the leak is new, I can’t see how the repair isn’t covered by your CPO when the following is taken directly from the CPO description Porsche’s website

“The new Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Limited Warranty offers full peace of mind. Porsche Cars NA will repair or replace with new or remanufactured part any factory installed part that is faulty in material or workmanship under normal use. This limited warranty covers all parts of the following components:
• Engine
• Fuel / Cooling system
• Power train / transmission
Suspension / Steering
• Brake system
• Heating / Air conditioning
• Electrical Systems
• Body
• Comfort Electronics”

There is a general limitation disclaimer

"The Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned limited warranty is just like our new car limited warranty.
All you’re responsible for are normal wear and tear components, such as brake pads or wiper blades and scheduled maintenance. What’s more, you receive 2 years or 50,000 miles of coverage (whichever comes first) following the remainder of the new car limited warranty. Plus, our around-the-clock Porsche Roadside Assistance in the unlikely event you have trouble on the road.

All in all, you can rest easy knowing that you’re covered.”

http://www.porsche.com/usa/pre-owned-vehicles/approved/
Old 01-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the info guys. I picked up the car this morning. The service advisor sent in a "PTC" to Porsche and they responded by directing him to the exlusions area of the warranty. This is not available to us, but to the dealers. He navigated through the site with me there and printed the exclusions page that lists the PS pump resevoir and o-rings. And he did select the CPO from 8/2008 or later so it's the updated version. Unfortunately it's legit, but the total was around $2,200 and I only paid $260 with tax, fluid, parts, etc.

The CPO already paid for itself. Now I did send a detailed and professional email to the selling dealer about the oil leaks that they checked off as "pass" on the CPO checklist they provided me. I've requested they reimburse me for the repair among other things. The sales rep replied that he forwarded to the appropriate person and they will respond soon.

Overall, I was impressed with Porsche North Olmsted in Cleveland, OH and would recommend them for service. They were honest and transparent. I met the tech that worked on my car as well. He did not see any metal shavings in the IMS area and felt it was okay at this point.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:21 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the info guys. I picked up the car this morning. The service advisor sent in a "PTC" to Porsche and they responded by directing him to the exlusions area of the warranty. This is not available to us, but to the dealers. He navigated through the site with me there and printed the exclusions page that lists the PS pump resevoir and o-rings. And he did select the CPO from 8/2008 or later so it's the updated version. Unfortunately it's legit, but the total was around $2,200 and I only paid $260 with tax, fluid, parts, etc.

The CPO already paid for itself. Now I did send a detailed and professional email to the selling dealer about the oil leaks that they checked off as "pass" on the CPO checklist they provided me. I've requested they reimburse me for the repair among other things. The sales rep replied that he forwarded to the appropriate person and they will respond soon.

Overall, I was impressed with Porsche North Olmsted in Cleveland, OH and would recommend them for service. They were honest and transparent. I met the tech that worked on my car as well. He did not see any metal shavings in the IMS area and felt it was okay at this point.
Sure would be nice to take a look at that CPO exclusion list.
Glad everything worked out for you. Yeah, the CPO is great to have. I intend to drive my p car often this year to get some more miles on her before the CPO expires 2/2011.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

I have the exclusions list, so I'll scan it and put up the pdf.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Love the fact that Porsche has an "Exclusions" list that is available to dealers, BUT NOT TO OWNERS!!! What is that about? Great, a warranty that has exclusions but they won't ell you wha they are. Sounds like Porsche.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:46 PM
solosailor
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

but surprised they are not covered by the CPO warranty from Porsche.
Not surprised myself after they told me my coolant tank replacement was a 'wear and tear' item under CPO. Funny how it's a known problem and they used an updated part, not the same one, which is basically like admitting the original part was a faulty design.

They sure couldn't tell me where in the service interval guide does it say to replace this 'wear and tear' item. What a joke..... I've never replaced a coolant tank on any vehicle and I've had multiple 150k plus cars.

Quick Reply: Found 2 oil leaks - updated with CPO coverage results