Sponsored by:

17 Inch Track Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:47 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 17 Inch Track Wheels

While expressing a cost frustration to a friend who is an instructor about having trashed the outer edge of my 18 inch right rear Michelin at a DE and maybe not going to the next DE, he suggested that I look at getting 17 inch track wheels because the tires are cheaper. Indeed, if I buy the one set of 17 inch wheels Tire Rack offers and put Sumitomo HTR Z III’s on them, the cost is about the same as replacing the rears with PS2's.

While I have done a few track days and a couple of Lemons races, I am not exactly experienced at this track stuff and I have no need to win my DE.

Any thoughts on this plan?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What size wheels and tires would you go with?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The biggest issue with 17's is if you're trying to do it on a budget you're probably not going to get custom wheels and the widest factory rear wheel you can get is a 9" wheel.

You can still run a 265 tire on a 9' wheel but that's about it the limit of how much tire you want to stuff on that wheel.

Also, I have the same Sumi's on my Audi A4 and find them to be only average in my book. Actually I'd rate them as a really good street-only tire, not as much stick as most of the other "good" street tires I've used in the past.

Andy
Old 12-15-2009, 09:37 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ray S
What size wheels and tires would you go with?
The only wheels that Tirerack has are 9 inch for the rear, 24.4lbs. Tire size would be 255/40.

Fronts are 7.5 inch, 23.4lbs. 205/50.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:42 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
The biggest issue with 17's is if you're trying to do it on a budget you're probably not going to get custom wheels and the widest factory rear wheel you can get is a 9" wheel.

You can still run a 265 tire on a 9' wheel but that's about it the limit of how much tire you want to stuff on that wheel.

Also, I have the same Sumi's on my Audi A4 and find them to be only average in my book. Actually I'd rate them as a really good street-only tire, not as much stick as most of the other "good" street tires I've used in the past.

Andy
I realize this and it is one of the things that has me conflicted. I know it is a downgrade, but it probably gets me on the track more. I may go for Yokohama AD08's instead of the Summi's, but I can't help but wondering whether I would even notice the difference at my experience level. I can always get better rubber the next time, so the thinking goes.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran 17" at the track with great success... I used michelin pilot sport 2... great street and track.. very comfortable... then I used Kumho Exsta XS... the stick these have are unreal... much better than the michelin... the Kumho is great track tire that you can drive on the street... but don't expect the road manners or accuracy of the michelin... I would buy the Kumho Ecsta XS again... this year I'm going to 18" with BFGoodrich R1....

I would try the Yokohama tires as they offer good track performance and decent street livability... but I've never tried them... but everybody else who has loves them...
Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DCP
I realize this and it is one of the things that has me conflicted. I know it is a downgrade, but it probably gets me on the track more. I may go for Yokohama AD08's instead of the Summi's, but I can't help but wondering whether I would even notice the difference at my experience level. I can always get better rubber the next time, so the thinking goes.
what kind of tire were you using on the 18" rims.... and how many track days do u have under your belt?
Old 12-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

michelin ps2 is a great compromise between street and track and you can get the porsche "N" designated ps2 tires... just make sure you don't run them more than 36 psi HOT... that is there sweet spot on 17"... front and rear... higher pressure will mean the tire gets greasier and lower pressure you will wear the hell out of it faster... 36psi hot is about 29 cold... but you'll have to adjust accordingly...
Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c70Pete
what kind of tire were you using on the 18" rims.... and how many track days do u have under your belt?
I have used Michelin PS (not PS2). I am happy with them in every respect except for price. I don't even mind the price for street use. It is just when I see that I have a lot of life left in the right rear except the outer edge, it seems like a great waste.

I've done about five very informal track days with little instruction and one PCA DE with instruction.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:51 AM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 181 Posts

I've been running 17s at the track with Kumho MX for about 4 years. They are cheaper than my 18" Conti street tires and have better grip - much better. But on the street they are noisy - real singers. F225/45 R255/40 - the car is very balanced and fun. When I swap from 18s to 17s I also change the front pads to pagid orange.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:55 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
I have used Michelin PS (not PS2). It is just when I see that I have a lot of life left in the right rear except the outer edge, it seems like a great waste.
You don't have enough camber in the rear. Either your alignment is off, or you've already gotten to the point where you're driving it hard enough at the track where you nee to think about putting a more agressive alignment on the car....which will mean you'll wear the inside edge of the tire out on the street but wear it evenly at the track.

Slippery slope...
Old 12-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DCP
I have used Michelin PS (not PS2). I am happy with them in every respect except for price. I don't even mind the price for street use. It is just when I see that I have a lot of life left in the right rear except the outer edge, it seems like a great waste.

I've done about five very informal track days with little instruction and one PCA DE with instruction.

Thanks for your thoughts.
as for the outer edge you need to be rotating the rears... this will get you 30-40% more life...

as for the Kumho tire mentioned in this post... my experience has been with the new XS... not the older MX ... the XS is truly a phenomal tire on the track once you've gotten 500 miles on them ... but you probably won't like it on the street coming from PS2
Old 12-16-2009, 10:28 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Slippery slope...
Quite true. I've never tried crack, but I sense that there are some similarlities.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:41 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GaryAZ
I've been running 17s at the track with Kumho MX for about 4 years. They are cheaper than my 18" Conti street tires and have better grip - much better. But on the street they are noisy - real singers. F225/45 R255/40 - the car is very balanced and fun. When I swap from 18s to 17s I also change the front pads to pagid orange.
Stupid and rather obvious question for you. The tire size Tirerack recommends for the front is a 205/50, but the same size you are running at the rear. There is a much better choice of tires in the 225/45 size you mention. May I assume that the 225/45 size is working well for you? With the larger size in the front, is there any significant issue with more oversteer?

Last edited by DCP; 12-16-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
While expressing a cost frustration to a friend who is an instructor about having trashed the outer edge of my 18 inch right rear Michelin at a DE and maybe not going to the next DE, he suggested that I look at getting 17 inch track wheels because the tires are cheaper. Indeed, if I buy the one set of 17 inch wheels Tire Rack offers and put Sumitomo HTR Z III’s on them, the cost is about the same as replacing the rears with PS2's.

While I have done a few track days and a couple of Lemons races, I am not exactly experienced at this track stuff and I have no need to win my DE.

Any thoughts on this plan?
I ran 17" wheels for a while, and ultimately switched to 18's for better sizing options and more width. I ended up selling my 17" wheels, but later found out I could have saved a bundle by running the rear 17's (9" width) on FRONT on the 996, then get some 18" rears (10" width) and have staggered wheels. You can get proper tires to match the rolling diameter to keep your ABS happy. You might be able to accomplish something similar.

You should also make sure you have a proper track alignment and also flip/swap tires as appropriate to make them last longer.

-td

Quick Reply: 17 Inch Track Wheels