Sponsored by:

17 Inch Track Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
I ran 17" wheels for a while, and ultimately switched to 18's for better sizing options and more width. I ended up selling my 17" wheels, but later found out I could have saved a bundle by running the rear 17's (9" width) on FRONT on the 996, then get some 18" rears (10" width) and have staggered wheels. You can get proper tires to match the rolling diameter to keep your ABS happy. You might be able to accomplish something similar.

You should also make sure you have a proper track alignment and also flip/swap tires as appropriate to make them last longer.

-td
standard 17" setup is 205/50/17 and 255/40/17... I have replaced fronts with 225/45/17 for some time to reduce under steer and it works well..

for 18" on my 99 I am going with 225/40/18 and 265/35/18 with BFGoodrich R1 slick....

the alternative for 18" is to go with 235 front and 295 rear... but that is very wide and would increase tire weight as well as surface area which would reduce your overall speed.... given I'm going to a slick I'm thinking the stock 225 and 265 rear of an 18" setup would do the trick nicely...

what setup were you using on 18" wheels? were you tracking at all?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:25 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by c70Pete
standard 17" setup is 205/50/17 and 255/40/17... I have replaced fronts with 225/45/17 for some time to reduce under steer and it works well..

for 18" on my 99 I am going with 225/40/18 and 265/35/18 with BFGoodrich R1 slick....

the alternative for 18" is to go with 235 front and 295 rear... but that is very wide and would increase tire weight as well as surface area which would reduce your overall speed.... given I'm going to a slick I'm thinking the stock 225 and 265 rear of an 18" setup would do the trick nicely...

what setup were you using on 18" wheels? were you tracking at all?
225/265 is not optimal for your platform. You want the widest contact patch you can get. I ran 245/295 on my 996 on the track for many years using a modified Kussumaul alignment on PSS9 and many GT3 parts to get the system "right." If you upgrade to R-comp tires you need to upgrade your brake pads and fluid as well. You will eat through stock pads in 1 day or less on sticky tires.

IMO, you shouldn't even consider tire weight. The additional unsprung weight of 18" tires is negligible for virtually all applications outside racing. You are talking 2 lbs a corner max anyway... And why do you think a wider tire decreases your speed?

Also, FWIW, the R1 is not a slick. Rather, it is just an R-comp. I think the R-1 is rated around 60 or 80. These tires are good, but they are slower than Hoosier R6s. And MUCH slower than a true slick.

-td

edit: Yes. I was tracking. Alot. Here is what running sticker Hoosiers with short drop links will get you:

Name:  IMG_21995.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  IMG_22242.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  44.6 KB
Old 12-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
225/265 is not optimal for your platform. You want the widest contact patch you can get. I ran 245/295 on my 996 on the track for many years using a modified Kussumaul alignment on PSS9 and many GT3 parts to get the system "right." If you upgrade to R-comp tires you need to upgrade your brake pads and fluid as well. You will eat through stock pads in 1 day or less on sticky tires.

IMO, you shouldn't even consider tire weight. The additional unsprung weight of 18" tires is negligible for virtually all applications outside racing. You are talking 2 lbs a corner max anyway... And why do you think a wider tire decreases your speed?

Also, FWIW, the R1 is not a slick. Rather, it is just an R-comp. I think the R-1 is rated around 60 or 80. These tires are good, but they are slower than Hoosier R6s. And MUCH slower than a true slick.

-td

edit: Yes. I was tracking. Alot. Here is what running sticker Hoosiers with short drop links will get you:

Attachment 406537

Attachment 406538
wow! that's great info.... I'm only doing DE and track events... maybe 20 per summer at most... I would still like to drive the car as a daily in the summer (I have another car for long distance trips etc... ) and the R compounds like you say I plan to use with new 18" rims... I didn't know that 245 can fit on the front... do I need special hardware to mount 245.. special alignment...

....I don't plan to upgrade to GT3 parts ...ever...

maybe GT3 sway bars... so taking that into consideration will 245/295 still be good or can I get away with the stock 225/265... the other alternate is 235/285 ? I already have a decent track alignment that made a *world* of difference...

I think the wider tires will give you more friction and hence reduce your speed in the strait aways.... not to mention the increased rotational mass that comes with bigger tire/larger diameter rim combo...
Old 12-17-2009, 09:22 AM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
Stupid and rather obvious question for you. The tire size Tirerack recommends for the front is a 205/50, but the same size you are running at the rear. There is a much better choice of tires in the 225/45 size you mention. May I assume that the 225/45 size is working well for you? With the larger size in the front, is there any significant issue with more oversteer?
I chose that size specifically to reduce understeer. It helped a lot. So did -1 deg camber on the fronts. It took a while to get the car sorted to my liking and driving style but it's really fun now.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:31 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
While expressing a cost frustration to a friend who is an instructor about having trashed the outer edge of my 18 inch right rear Michelin at a DE….Any thoughts on this plan?
Fix the tire wear issue first.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
You don't have enough camber in the rear. Either your alignment is off….
+1 Although I don’t fully agree with the rest of the statement. I have what I would consider a mild alignment, mostly street, and I haven’t done any damage to the outside of the tire. Sounds like to me your pressures were off, irrespective of aggressiveness of driving. JMHO
Old 12-17-2009, 10:01 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whitey||C4S
Fix the tire wear issue first.

+1 Although I don’t fully agree with the rest of the statement. I have what I would consider a mild alignment, mostly street, and I haven’t done any damage to the outside of the tire. Sounds like to me your pressures were off, irrespective of aggressiveness of driving. JMHO
I'm sure you are right. Last alignment I complained about premature wear on the inside of the right rear. Now I have premature wear on the outside edge. I do think the track had something to do with it. It was my first visit to Texas World Speedway. Much higher speed corners than I have done on previous track days.

I used stock pressures at one track day on a shorter, slower track, and lowered them for TWS. Can't remember what I used, but it was based on some searching here. I bought a infrared thermometer at Sears yesterday on sale for $20. Hopefully that will help me find pressures that make sense.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:31 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by c70Pete
I didn't know that 245 can fit on the front... do I need special hardware to mount 245.. special alignment...
You don't need anything except 8.5+" wheels (with the proper offsets). But since you are running R-comps, you should run around -2 degrees negative camber or you will ruin tires fast. I ran -2(F) and -2.5(R) on my 996. And you can't get -2 up front without control arms or camber plates.

....I don't plan to upgrade to GT3 parts ...ever...
Are you completely stock?

will 245/295 still be good or can I get away with the stock 225/265...
Sure. But just because you can, doesn't mean it's to be done You could run 205/245 if you wanted to, lol

I think the wider tires will give you more friction and hence reduce your speed in the strait aways.... not to mention the increased rotational mass that comes with bigger tire/larger diameter rim combo...
IMO, worrying about rolling mass and tire friction is a bit pound foolish. You probably have more than enough horsepower to overcome tire friction, but it's aero efficiency/friction you will have an issue with at high speeds.

-td

Quick Reply: 17 Inch Track Wheels