Sponsored by:

996 on track - watch that oil pressure!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 10:50 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Any Updates?

I have the exact same issue in my 997.1 with a Mantis Deep Sump. No pressure drop in left handers, drops to about 2.5 bar in right handers.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:58 AM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts
Default accusump photos

my install.
Attached Images    
Old 11-11-2016, 07:50 AM
krombacher
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mantis Deep Sump Windage Tray Test and Mod

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Any Updates?

I have the exact same issue in my 997.1 with a Mantis Deep Sump. No pressure drop in left handers, drops to about 2.5 bar in right handers.
I saw the same oil pressure drops with my Mantis 1.2 L deep sump, so I built a mockup of our sump, installed the mantis into it, put water in it, then sloshed it around to see what I could see. Water is good here because when engine oil is super hot on the track it's viscosity is closer to water.. plus it's clear - consider it a worst case - viscosity scenario.

My apologies for the video quality.
take 1:

take 2:

modification of the windage tray - test:

Porsche 996 986 997.1 987.1 Mantis Deep Sump Oil Pan with holes plugged where clearances allowed. I used m6 bolts with nylon locking nuts and heavy duty thread lock to reduce oil bypassing the baffle during long hard cornering (on street tires).

After doing all this - and refilling the engine oil - I also noticed that in order to get a consistent engine oil level on my dipstick - I had to wait about 3 minutes after the last oil put in. I filled it to the top notch. Keep in mind I have a Motorspot Air Oil Seperator installed - so I wasn't too worried about filling it to top and testing it.

I tested it by waiting until my engine oil pressure indicated the oil was fully warmed up (at least for street driving), and doing circles in a back parking lot with my RPMS above 4000 rpm until my tires were squealing (street tires - 235 and 295 width in the back, 300 or so compound). This test would normally have shown oil pressure fluctuations easily with the 1.2 L mantis deep sump as originally installed. After installing the bolts, and filling it to the top notch - as per my past picture above, the oil pressure did not fluctuate nearly as quickly. I wouldn't call it fixed completely, but an easy improvement to make to your mantis pan.

Last edited by krombacher; 11-11-2016 at 08:14 AM. Reason: You tube link button from Rennlist wasn't showing the youtube videos.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:46 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

If you haven't already done it, you should get the upgraded oil pressure relief valve and spring. Easy to change out while doing an oil change or installing your X51 pan. Just another precaution.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:59 AM
krombacher
Advanced

Originally Posted by randy308@optonline.net
my install.
thanks for posting! For those of us who use their 996 as a DD too, there's no reason why we couldn't build a box around the accusump, and maybe even a tray underneath. Could me made of aluminum sheet and "L" extrusion from the hardware store, etc. that way groceries and luggage wouldn't damage anything.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:31 AM
mikeborden
Instructor

Krombacher,
I think that is a very good test! It's not completely scientific, but it I would think it would explain what you are seeing.

What I think you should do is show this to the guy who touts the mantis tray. He says it's better than anything out there and looking at this, I'm not so sure now.

Is that the stock baffle you are using, or the X51. Sorry if that was stated somewhere in this thread, but it's pretty long to look at every single post.

Just some thoughts.

Mike
Old 11-11-2016, 11:00 AM
krombacher
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikeborden
Krombacher,
I think that is a very good test! It's not completely scientific, but it I would think it would explain what you are seeing.

What I think you should do is show this to the guy who touts the mantis tray. He says it's better than anything out there and looking at this, I'm not so sure now.

Is that the stock baffle you are using, or the X51. Sorry if that was stated somewhere in this thread, but it's pretty long to look at every single post.

Just some thoughts.

Mike
I was thinking that too.
Its a stock baffle trimmed at the bottom as per the instructions. It's not an x-51 baffle.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:20 AM
mikeborden
Instructor

Does the Mantis not come with an extension pickup? Could that be the problem?

Also, have you looked at the ln engineering one? I do think adding a space is stupid and kind of weird and for just the spacer, that kit is a little expensive.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:42 AM
mikeborden
Instructor

I went to mantis's website, It does appear to include an extension for the pickup.

However, looking at the windage tray compared to LN engineering's, the mantis has holes in it, where the LN engineering does not. According to the pics anyway.

Now, if that makes a difference, I don't have any idea.

I do have a question, and maybe Hella-Buggin can answer this one.

When you say it drops to 2.5, at what RPM is that?

If it is anything over 3500RPM, that's not very good. Of course, that's better than 0.

Mike
Old 11-11-2016, 03:12 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

For me it's dropping to 2.5 at around 4k RPM. It holds there even under acceleration.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the vids of the sump experiment. The thing that gets me though is that the pressure is rock solid on left turns. The pick up tube is centrally located so why would it make such a difference which direction the turn is.

Quick Reply: 996 on track - watch that oil pressure!