Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

question: choice between a 996 C4S or 997?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:04 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Please explain this "underwhelming, HUGE" feeling the C4S gives over the Carrera 4.

I'm taking notes.
when I was shopping for a 996, I stopped looking at 3.4's once I test drove an "S"

there's certainly a difference and you feel it right away. Especially when driven back to back. It will feel like you went from a Ferrari f430 to a Porsche 996 4.0.

lmao
Old 08-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Turkii
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell the 6 hours alone was worth more than the $200 bucks...
Old 08-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Turkii
AutoX

Agreed after driving the 3.6....I would not even consider a 3.4.....I would have bought a 3.6 with higher miles to equal out the price...difference...definitely a feel/sound thing for me....
Old 08-09-2017, 03:22 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Turkii
Hell the 6 hours alone was worth more than the $200 bucks...
yes, exactly. A thorough PPI without cylinder scoping was between $450-$600 when I was shopping for my 996.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Going to bump this thread again like the other guy did. I'm in the market for my first Porsche 911 and I'm torn as well. Except I'm torn between strapping myself a bit and buying a 996 Turbo (2001-2004 ish) OR the almost mint condition 2003 996 C4S I drove a week or so ago. (I have a thread about a Turbo I'm looking at already).

Silver 996 C4S, Manual, ONLY 23,300 miles and claims to never has seen rain. Looks almost brand new. Silver / Black interior. He was asking $42K but knows that was high... I have him agreed to a deal for the car at $35k...Me Knowing that I'll be spending $2-$3K for the IMS / RMS , water pump, and maybe a clutch while in there. I'd be into a very low mile beautifully clean 2004 C4S for $37-$38K... I know that's probably still a little high but It will be my toy and not a daily driver. Miles will not rack up on this car, so hopefully resale with be decent when time comes.

Now, I really love power and have had many high hp toys over the years (last toy made 1053 WHP). So I really want a turbo but we're talking $45-$55K at least.

Any pros here have advice for this guy on what I should do (specifically about this C4S?? Price still too high or being in such awesome condition, is it okay??)

Thanks in advance,

David
Old 08-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

I'm not going to give you any advice on pricing, as I've been out of the 996 market for a long time. I loved my 996 C4S, and I had a good experience with it overall. That being said, the turbo is a special car in many ways. It still represents the best value on the market in a high-performance car, in my opinion. It uses the Mezger engine, which has legitimate roots in racing. It can be had with a manual transmission, while current turbos only offer PDK gearboxes. If I were buying a 996 right now, it would be a turbo.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:50 PM
Turkii
AutoX

I won't tell you what to do except this....get the PPI done on the c4s.....sounds like a great deal...Is it a Cabrio or coupe....?

I agree the turbo is a special car and I would likely have spent a bit more if it could have....Keep in mind with the turbo, you won't have to deal with the IMS/RMS replacement issue which can be factored in...I would also recommending driving the thing as that is what it is meant to do (i..e, worrying about resale...in Europe it is a badge of honor for them to have higher miles and still on the road...) just sayin...

I absolutely love driving my c4s though....
Old 08-10-2017, 12:05 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'm not going to give you any advice on pricing, as I've been out of the 996 market for a long time. I loved my 996 C4S, and I had a good experience with it overall. That being said, the turbo is a special car in many ways. It still represents the best value on the market in a high-performance car, in my opinion. It uses the Mezger engine, which has legitimate roots in racing. It can be had with a manual transmission, while current turbos only offer PDK gearboxes. If I were buying a 996 right now, it would be a turbo.
Understood on the pricing comment.

i agree on the Turbo and if you knew me, that's exactly what I want. But, I'm just a "working class" car guy. A poor old police officer "Car Guy". I work lots of off-duty details for my play / toy money. Buying a turbo would stretch me thinner than the C4S would. REALLY tough call for me. But I know I want a 911. Always have had. Had an 84 928 but that doesn't count.
I am however afraid if I don't buy a 996 Turbo now, they may go up and price me out of them soon.

Tough call. Thanks for the reply though.

Originally Posted by Turkii
I won't tell you what to do except this....get the PPI done on the c4s.....sounds like a great deal...Is it a Cabrio or coupe....?

I agree the turbo is a special car and I would likely have spent a bit more if it could have....Keep in mind with the turbo, you won't have to deal with the IMS/RMS replacement issue which can be factored in...I would also recommending driving the thing as that is what it is meant to do (i..e, worrying about resale...in Europe it is a badge of honor for them to have higher miles and still on the road...) just sayin...

I absolutely love driving my c4s though....
Given the shape of the car and miles (pending PPI), I think it's a great deal and would like keep it's value. But yes, I'd be buying it to drive it for sure!!! I have a take home patrol car, so neither of my two vehicles now get driven much. But they aren't Porsche's either. lol I'd definitely drive a Porsche more for sure. That's the point of this future purchase. Stress relief.

IMS/RMS get's done and I won't have to worry about it for a long while again. I've owned a bunch of cars over my 45-46 years, so I would think at some point I'd sell this one too and move on to something else fun. Plus having it done would help future buyers purchase decision.

Thanks for the reply also Sir!!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:04 AM
Turkii
AutoX

My 04' C4S ....purchased with 65k on it....2015...now has 81K on it.....Live in Jersey, Bought it in Chicago because I wanted this particular rare color...
Old 08-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Turkii
AutoX

Not sure why attachment is not showing....I tried
Attached Images   
Old 08-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Turkii
AutoX

2.5 years later, I just did an autotrader search and found a 997 C4S in this particular color, with only 23K on it.....but price is 50K......about 20K more than I spent for mine.....If it was available at the time, I would have likely given it a test drive and considered it...I like the headlights better on 997, but like the tail lights better on the 996
Old 08-10-2017, 09:11 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Going to bump this thread again like the other guy did. I'm in the market for my first Porsche 911 and I'm torn as well. Except I'm torn between strapping myself a bit and buying a 996 Turbo (2001-2004 ish) OR the almost mint condition 2003 996 C4S I drove a week or so ago. (I have a thread about a Turbo I'm looking at already).

Silver 996 C4S, Manual, ONLY 23,300 miles and claims to never has seen rain. Looks almost brand new. Silver / Black interior. He was asking $42K but knows that was high... I have him agreed to a deal for the car at $35k...Me Knowing that I'll be spending $2-$3K for the IMS / RMS , water pump, and maybe a clutch while in there. I'd be into a very low mile beautifully clean 2004 C4S for $37-$38K... I know that's probably still a little high but It will be my toy and not a daily driver. Miles will not rack up on this car, so hopefully resale with be decent when time comes.

Now, I really love power and have had many high hp toys over the years (last toy made 1053 WHP). So I really want a turbo but we're talking $45-$55K at least.

Any pros here have advice for this guy on what I should do (specifically about this C4S?? Price still too high or being in such awesome condition, is it okay??)

Thanks in advance,

David
turbo. All the way.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
turbo. All the way.
lol I hear ya!!
It really is what I want.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:15 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

With the money I have in my C4S, I could have waited a couple years and be in a turbo. I regret not being more patient
Old 08-10-2017, 10:37 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
With the money I have in my C4S, I could have waited a couple years and be in a turbo. I regret not being more patient
Modified quote from the movie "Rudy"

b3freak: Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey what are you doing here??? Don't you have some work to do?

AWDGuy: Not anymore, I quit 996. I quit M96. I quit Porsche!!! I quit!!!

b3freak: Oh, well since when are YOU the quitting kind?

AWDGuy: I don't know, with all I've given to this C4S and it still craps up, I just don't see the point anymore.

b3freak: So you didn't get the Turbo, there are greater tragies in the world.

AWDGuy: I wanted to drive out of that tunnell for my dad. To prove to everyone that I made it in life!

b3freak: PROVE WHAT?

AWDGuy: That I was somebody. A TurBRO man!

b3freak: Oh you are so full of crap. It's overweight, fat hips, and hardly a spec of horse power more than the others and you hung in with the best sport cars in the land for three years, and you were also going to walk out of here with a degree from the University of Wedontgivea Dame... in this life time, you don't have to prove nothing to nobody except yourself and after what you've gone through, if you haven't done that by now, it aint gonna never happen, now go on back. Get behind that steering wheel and drive like it's your last day on earth!

Quick Reply: question: choice between a 996 C4S or 997?