Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Flashinf CEL on acceleration. HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:26 AM
samk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Flashinf CEL on acceleration. HELP PLEASE!!!

At 65,ooo miles my Carrera is idling rough, but smooth sout while crusing---ONLY IN THE RAIN. Flashing CEL when acceleration and on the rest of the time on.
I checked codes and erased them on three seperate ocassions. The first was P0300, 301, 303. 305., the second was Po300 and 301. The third ocassion was 301. 300, 303. The car runs fine in the dry. 65,000 sservice is complete and no other symptons.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by samk
At 65,ooo miles my Carrera is idling rough, but smooth sout while crusing---ONLY IN THE RAIN. Flashing CEL when acceleration and on the rest of the time on.
I checked codes and erased them on three seperate ocassions. The first was P0300, 301, 303. 305., the second was Po300 and 301. The third ocassion was 301. 300, 303. The car runs fine in the dry. 65,000 sservice is complete and no other symptons.
Coil packs.

Error codes are misfires. Light blinks because misfires feed unburned gas and too much of it to the converters which will burn the gas but overheat in the process. Overheating will damage the converters and automakers are on the hook for the converters for 7 to 8 years and 80K or more miles. So anything that puts the converters at risk gets flagged early and often.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:15 AM
samk
Instructor

Default Thanks

Does this mean all left side Coil Packs or all coil packs are bad???
Old 10-30-2009, 11:47 AM
yasuro
Pro

just replace all of them. seems like cheap insurance.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by samk
Does this mean all left side Coil Packs or all coil packs are bad???
Misfires are appearing at cylnders of both banks: Cylinders 1 (P0301) and 3 (P0303) of bank #1 and cylinder 5 (P0305) of bank #2.

P0300 is a general misfire error code.

As poster yasuro suggested and I agree, replace all 6.

If you replace just 1, 3 and 5 now, you'll be in the engine compartment again shortly replacing 2, 4, and 6.

If plugs old and due for replacement might be a good time to change these as well, "while you are there".

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:05 PM
samk
Instructor

Thanks guys, and will do.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:28 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

You said it only happens in the rain.....I'd check for some type of leaks. If your coil paks were bad I would think they rain would not be a variable.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
You said it only happens in the rain.....I'd check for some type of leaks. If your coil paks were bad I would think they rain would not be a variable.
Agree. I had one of the little O rings crimped that caused me a code. Again, as others have said - depending on mileage, I'd do the plugs if you have to go in there to look at the coils. Most of the time it's not the coil but the tubes (they crack with age) or the O rings. The tubes are cheap to do - the coil packs not so much. My wife hates the term, 'While I was in there..." as she knows I'm heating up the debt card when she hears that.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
No. The rain is a variable and highlights the coil packs are the most likely suspects in the misfire source.

While climate dry and unchanging coil packs are fine. But with rain comes increased moisture in the air (of course) and all surfaces of car and engine exposed to outside air tend to collect moisture. It doesn't take much combined with the dust that is present to collect in coil pack cracks to affect the performance of the coil packs and cause misfires.

Or the engine's fine when started and driven in wet weather conditions but when it is put away road splash on the car evaporates from the heat and the high humidty in the confined area under the and its wheel wells and engine compartment can put moisture on the coil packs (and elsewhere for that matter).

Thus the next time the engine is started the misfires appear.

If the engine is run long enough and gotten hot enough the moisture can be driven from the coil packs. If the remaining solids are not too great the misfire can go away and stay away until the car washed or the wet weather returns.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:16 PM
samk
Instructor

/Users/user/Desktop/IMG_0882 3.JPG
Coil packs were cracked and rusted and I replaced them and plugs.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:31 PM
samk
Instructor

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/IMG_0881.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n.../IMG_08793.jpg
Old 11-13-2009, 07:40 PM
samk
Instructor

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/DSC08130.jpg
Old 11-13-2009, 07:51 PM
samk
Instructor

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/IMG_0881.jpg
Old 11-14-2009, 09:56 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Sam,

I assume your baby is running smoothly again?

BTW, here are my "can't miss" instructions for posting a pic. These instructions have NEVER failed to help someone post pics, so the pressure is on YOU to keep my string alive!

All words shown in BOLD indicate buttons. If you are just doing a "Quick Reply" you will have to click on Go Advanced button. Then follow the steps below:

Down below the part of the screen where you type the text and below the Submit Reply, the Preview Post, and Spell Check buttons, there is a Miscellaneous Options section followed by an Attach Files section.

In the Attach Files section, click on the Manage Attachments button.

You will now get a pop-up window. There are 3 buttons Browse, Upload, and Close this Window.

Click on the Browse button and now (in a new pop-up window) you can search on your PC to locate the pic you want to attach. Click on the name of the file you want and then click the Open button. Now click on the Upload button. After the file has been uploaded, you can click on Browse button and repeat the process to upload another pic or click on the Close this Window button.

After you click on the Close this Window, you will be back to the original "message" screen. Your pic file should be listed just above the Manage Attachments button.

If you are finished typing the text, you can click on the Submit Reply button and everyone will be able to see your great looking P-car!

If your pics are too large, you can resize them with MS Paint, or PhotoShop software, or you can do it online at this web site. http://www.resize2mail.com/
Old 11-15-2009, 02:10 PM
samk
Instructor

All is good and that no. 4 plug was a tough one. Easier than a 964 plug change though. Many thanks. P. S. Two coil packs out of 6 were still good. Also replaced mufflers with Porsche Tek.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Flashinf CEL on acceleration. HELP PLEASE!!!