Sponsored by:

Replace the MOST annoying part of the car

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:13 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Replace the MOST annoying part of the car

With all the rain in and around NYC for the past few weeks, I've been forced to drive with the windows up. Unfortunately, this significantly impacts my ability to hear the 3.6 symphony and had forced me to use the CDR23/MOST stereo system. Not the best. So, I've spent a lot of time looking for iPod/hard drive/anything other than CDR23 solutions, including searching the Rennlist forums. The main solutions seem to be the Dension Gateway 500 (lukewarm reviews), iTrip (not so much) and a complete system replacement (worth about a month's rent; hard to find something that a 18-year old wouldn't love in his Civic). I've noticed that most threads on this topic are from a few years ago, so I'm wondering (hoping) that there has been some breakthrough solution recently that is so obvious that nobody has felt it necessary to post a thread. Does the world's collective Porsche authority know of anything that actually works well?

Thanks all
Old 10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I am installing the AVIC U310BT. Comes with ipod integration, bluetooth and nav.
It was around $450 and another $150 for the kit from Eurospeed motors for installation.
I am hoping that the install makes it look like 'factory'.
I am told the only soln to the CDR23 is to replace the headunit.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:17 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Does your car have the MOST fiber-optic audio system?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:12 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really want to hear the 3.6, uprate your exhaust to PSE, Fister, and / or combine with an Evo intake. It really is a glorious combination.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:34 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

wait, if getting the iphone/nav/bluetooth integration only costs $450 getting the AVIC, then I need it.

I hate the MOST system, but I heard that you'd have to replace the speakers and the amp too.

Don't want to spend a grand doing this. The car is noisy, so I don't need audiophile. I leave that to my house.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Surfer161
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MOST annoying part of the car was the CENTER CONSOLE. That thing that rubs on my right leg all the time.

got rid if it, though.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:52 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Whitey, I already have the Fabspeed exhaust (which I love). The intake is definitely on the list though. What I'm learning (after a month of ownership) is that, while this car wasn't too expensive to buy upfront, it has a way of making me want to constantly spend money on it. From your website, I can see that your car has the same effect! Such is life.

Jyoteen, I'm with you, I don't need great sound quality in my car. Given how much time/money I spent getting great sound in my apartment, I would be really depressed if a car (with all it's comprimises in terms of space and materials) could even be modified to house a decent audio system. Loud? Sure. Good? Not in my limited experience. How hard can it be for the guys at Alpine to design a head unit that is MOST-compatible?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:55 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

all I need is an iphone hookup. I can stream internet radio. That's it. LA radio stations are absolute crap. Hell, i can even live without navigation.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:57 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the newbie question, but can someone explain what the MOST system actually is? I see that term alot, but no breakdown of what it is.

(I'm wondering if by knowing, it'll help me figure out a buzz/decrease-volume that comes into the right speakers when I hit a bump, then hit another bump and it goes back to normal, even when it's "muted". I figure it's a loose connection or ground-shield lifting somewhere. I will start a new thread for that question, I don't want to hijack the OP's thread.)
Old 10-28-2009, 07:07 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

MOST, as I understand it, is a audio system where the head unit (preamp), amplifier and speakers are connected with fiber-optics instead of copper wires. The same copper wires that are good enough for the highest-end home audio installations (let's not get into a discussion about audiophile cables...). In practice, it seems to limit your choices of aftermarket head units to approximately zero. Porsche, BMW and a few others chose to use this technology for some unknown reason. May have something to do with Navs or something.

Surfer, I already mentioned the console delete to my wife. She asked why I thought it was a good idea to spend money to remove something from the car. My answer sounded very convincing to me, apparently not so much to her.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:25 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

in my non most 02, I hooked up the aux input via a cable order from becker. maybe there is something like that for the most headunit?

worst case scenario you can get an fm modulator
Old 10-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfer161
The MOST annoying part of the car was the CENTER CONSOLE. That thing that rubs on my right leg all the time.

got rid if it, though.
Sometimes it's my passenger(sorry honey)...my wife gets annoyed when I drive too fast!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:21 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdavis
MOST, as I understand it, is a audio system where the head unit (preamp), amplifier and speakers are connected with fiber-optics instead of copper wires. The same copper wires that are good enough for the highest-end home audio installations (let's not get into a discussion about audiophile cables...). In practice, it seems to limit your choices of aftermarket head units to approximately zero. Porsche, BMW and a few others chose to use this technology for some unknown reason. May have something to do with Navs or something.

Surfer, I already mentioned the console delete to my wife. She asked why I thought it was a good idea to spend money to remove something from the car. My answer sounded very convincing to me, apparently not so much to her.
Cool, thanks mjdavis. I'm guessing my '01 is a non-most car. What's the easiest way to tell, take a look at the amp and see if it's got fiber running to it?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by peavynation
Cool, thanks mjdavis. I'm guessing my '01 is a non-most car. What's the easiest way to tell, take a look at the amp and see if it's got fiber running to it?
Correct. Most is MY03 and up.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:00 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 most annoying features

1) centre console - GONE!

2) Crappy stereo - I'll get to upgrading it.

3) Complaining wife - keep her out of the car when out having fun.

cheers

Quick Reply: Replace the MOST annoying part of the car