Sponsored by:

ignition key won't release

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:46 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ignition key won't release

When I shut the car down the key often times will only pull out after some jiggling, at which point the key comes out easy peasy.

I have read the threads on switch replacement, but it seems to me that this is not the part of the mechanism that's grabbing hold of my key.

That is to say, the ignition switch that is easily replaced is the plastic electrical part, but it's the mechanical lock mechanism that I would think is my problem.

Anyone have any wisdom?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:06 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the switch itself going bad, but I had it happen when my steering wheel had some tension on it (I had just set the car down after jacking it up), and I had to turn the wheel by hand just a tad to release the force on the key switch. Just a thought.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:20 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I had the same symptoms.... changed the switch and it was night and day. Its also 15min vs hours replacing the lock mechanism....25$ switch 15min job...
Old 10-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

These things aren't as durable as they used to be. Would you believe that part of that mechanism is made in Singapore? Replace it before it strands you someplace.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:05 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

About 95% of the time it is the cheesey plastic eletrical part, also used in Audi and VW that causes the key to stick. There is a small plastic part that breaks off internally jamming the rotation of the key. This keeps the key from returning completely. If you ignore it long enough you may start to experience strange electrical gremlins then failure and stranded.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:20 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like the others above have said, I had the same issue once. Replaced the plastic switch and all was good. Bought from ebay, 15-20min job for a first timer.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

I had this happen just once a few years ago. My "fix" that has lasted over 2 years now was just to put a very thin coating of WD40 on the key, insert it and twist a little. Then I removed the key and wiped of the excess (if any). It was amazing how just a minute amount of lube made the key work better and it stayed this way. Anyway, this is free, low risk, and quick.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:09 PM
peavynation
Pro

So what's the part number or name of this magical plastic part that can be replaced? Or is it best to replace the whole lock mechanism? Either way, what do I ask for / look for when replacing it? Any DIY picts/instructions anywhere? I like preventative maintenance.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

I am getting ready to do this also I think I have a bunch of gremlins etc. I would change switch first least expensive and seems to be most common problem.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...mber=4A0905849

Here is some instructions for the DIY.

http://www.gagme.com/greg/996/ignition.php
Old 10-26-2009, 05:43 PM
peavynation
Pro

Cool, thanks for the links Mother.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:35 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon996
I had this happen just once a few years ago. My "fix" that has lasted over 2 years now was just to put a very thin coating of WD40 on the key, insert it and twist a little. Then I removed the key and wiped of the excess (if any). It was amazing how just a minute amount of lube made the key work better and it stayed this way. Anyway, this is free, low risk, and quick.
Tried that - no difference. When the key goes in and out it does so with no resistance whatsoever. It's only when I shut down the car and pull the key, it just won't budge...like when the car is running you can't take the key out, except the car isn't running.

I suppose for $25 and a half hour effort I should try the switch eh. Just seems odd that it would be the electrical part that's *behind* the lock mechanism, but hey I've seen WAY crazier **** than that happen before.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:14 AM
ford_jj
Intermediate

Wink hope it can help you

Originally Posted by peavynation
Cool, thanks for the links Mother.
A car repair manual is helpful if you need to gain access to particular vehicles technical repair information such as sensor locations, wiring diagrams, firing orders, component locations, vacuum diagrams and repair procedures. Repair manuals also include manufacturer specific testing and diagnostic procedure for troubleshooting: accessories, axles and drive train, body and chassis, brakes, climate control (heater and air conditioner ), fuel systems, electrical, emission systems, engine and engine cooling systems, exhaust systems, safety components such as seat belts and air bags, steering and suspension, service and maintenance, tires, rims, transmission service and much more.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:07 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a search for this on Renntech. There are instructions for replacing the electric mechanism and it is the least expensive route, but may only be temporary. The alternative is replacing the entire lock for something like $600.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:08 AM
MyPorsche996
4th Gear

Default Ever fix the problem?

Hey buddy, I saw your question about the mechanics of the ignition. My car is having the same issue.
after driving I go to park up and when removing the key it’s like the mechanical part of the lock doesn’t close up so the car acts like the key is still in the ignition. The radio has to be manually turned off. And then the car won’t lock with the alarm so it’s a manual lock which leaves the passenger door unlocked!
did you manage to resolve the issue you had as it sounds very similar to what I’m experiencing just now???
thanks buddy, hope you are well and fingers crossed you reply!
Old 10-13-2022, 07:49 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by MyPorsche996
Hey buddy, I saw your question about the mechanics of the ignition. My car is having the same issue.
after driving I go to park up and when removing the key it’s like the mechanical part of the lock doesn’t close up so the car acts like the key is still in the ignition. The radio has to be manually turned off. And then the car won’t lock with the alarm so it’s a manual lock which leaves the passenger door unlocked!
did you manage to resolve the issue you had as it sounds very similar to what I’m experiencing just now???
thanks buddy, hope you are well and fingers crossed you reply!
Welcome! First post and You win the Rennlist award today for resurrecting a 13 year old dead thread! **Warning** Necro thread
The following 2 users liked this post by DBJoe996:
MyPorsche996 (10-26-2022), Porschetech3 (10-17-2022)

Quick Reply: ignition key won't release