Sponsored by:

replacing OEM tires with N-rated tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:56 PM
dr90254
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing OEM tires with N-rated tires

I have the OEM Michelin PS2s and have loved them, but have to get a new set of fronts/rears. I'm interested in others experiences with other N-rated tires (Pirelli or Contis). How does it compare with the experience of the PS2s? (I have loved the PS2s but as we all know, the Pirellis are slightly less money and the Contis are significantly less).

PS I'm not interested in non-N-rated tires, I know lots of people use them but I"m sticking with just the N-rated....thanks in advance for any experience you guys have.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:04 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the conti 2s which are N rated and OEM. I like them.
My local dealer tech informed me that (with drving style being equal) the PS2s wear faster than the Pirellis and the Contis.

I would imagine max grip is superior with the PS2s so it is a tradeoff.
All depends what you are looking for. If you don't track your car, the Contis may provide you with a less expensive option.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Steve-o
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from Pirellis to Contis and am very happy with them...handling is about the same, but much more quiet on the freeway.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:42 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

+2 on the Conti's...
Old 10-23-2009, 11:04 PM
adg44
Instructor

The contisportcontact2 tires aren't that great... save your money and don't bother with an N rated tire. When I have to replace mine in the spring, I'm going with the Sumitomo HTRZ-IIIs.

But hands down, the best performing summer tire is the PS2, so if you have them and you like them, you aren't going to find anything better.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I happen to really like the Bridgestones that came on my 997S. And they are very reasonably priced, as well as offering up good mileage performance.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I happen to really like the Bridgestones that came on my 997S. And they are very reasonably priced, as well as offering up good mileage performance.
I've had great experience with Bridgestones - I'd happily buy their tires again.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:20 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I went from P Zeros to Sumitomo HTRZ-IIIs. Love them. Much quiter than the P Zeros and I think the traction is about the same.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dr90254
I have the OEM Michelin PS2s and have loved them, but have to get a new set of fronts/rears. I'm interested in others experiences with other N-rated tires (Pirelli or Contis). How does it compare with the experience of the PS2s? (I have loved the PS2s but as we all know, the Pirellis are slightly less money and the Contis are significantly less).

PS I'm not interested in non-N-rated tires, I know lots of people use them but I"m sticking with just the N-rated....thanks in advance for any experience you guys have.
Running Continental tires on my 03 Turbo. New tires fitted when I bought car used last June. The Conti tires appear to be holding up well and I do not see any reason for me to try another brand. Can't comment on how well they compare to a different brand of tire on the same car though.

I've run Pirelli and Michelin tires on my Boxster -- last 3 or so sets being Michelin tires -- and I like both Michelin and Pirelli. The Michelin tires seem to give a bit more tire life than the Pirelli tires and the Michelin tires remain a bit quieter as they get worn and older compared to the Pirelli tires.

Frankly, though I don't really see any major differences. I went with Michelin tires just to see if they were any better than the Pirelli tires and as I noted above they are a bit better but not signficantly so. The Michelin tires were very close (within $100 IIRC) to the cost of the Pirelli tires so I opted for Michelin tires.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 brands. Shop for best price and when I buy tires from dealer I ask for and sometimes -- almost always get -- an alignment included for less than its stand alone cost. I would pay full price for an alignment though if I felt the alignment needed based on the tire wear patterns of the old tires. No matter which tire brand you select be sure car alignnment is spot on and be sure you keep tires properly inflated.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:25 PM
dr90254
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks everyone for the input....I was kinda considering Pirellis but it sounds like (no pun intendeD) that they are noisier.....maybe I will seriously investigate the Contis, since people have had good experiences....
Old 10-24-2009, 04:28 PM
adg44
Instructor

Originally Posted by dr90254
thanks everyone for the input....I was kinda considering Pirellis but it sounds like (no pun intendeD) that they are noisier.....maybe I will seriously investigate the Contis, since people have had good experiences....
As I said, you won't find better tires than the PS2's which you currently have. They are the undisputed benchmark for performance street tires.

If you are looking to save some money, then go with the Sumitomo HTRZ-III's, as they are better than the Conti's and considerably less expensive.

- Anthony
Old 10-24-2009, 04:38 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Please give me a call and we can chat about it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: replacing OEM tires with N-rated tires