Sponsored by:

DE at VIR - Preparation

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:48 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DE at VIR - Preparation

Replaced front and rear pads, new brake fluid, and tech inspection today. This is in preparation for the Norther NJ DE that's taking place the weekend of Nov 6th at VIR. Should be a big event (the Villas and condos are sold out).

If anyone from the Raleigh area is going, let me know. Maybe we can set-up a caravan.

Bob
Old 10-15-2009, 04:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

As we have commented on your other threads discussing this, the Carolinas region 3-day event at VIR is just 2 weeks later and most of us are signed up for it so you're going to be hard pressed to find any Raleigh people going. Regardless, have a good time.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:27 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Dell. I'm looking forward to it.

I know many of the local Raleigh/Cary/Apex guys are going to the event later in November. Thanks for the clarification. I'm unable to make it to that one.

I hope you and the gang have a great time at the Carolinas DE.

Bob
Old 10-15-2009, 08:39 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Bob, remember me? I believe I saw you at your first DE last time I was at VIR! I finally got my 996 but sadly I'm in FL now and VIR is so far away. I'll actually be doing my 1st autox in the new car this weekend.

Man I really need to get back up to VIR sometime but I'm too scared to take my new baby out on track...think I'll stick with the 325Ci for awhile since it is so easy to drive hard.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:03 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Congratulations on your new 996! I absolutely remember you from the very earliest days at the Bean & Bagel. I guess you won't be able to pack tires for the track in the back of your Porsche anymore

I'm happy for you. But, I hope you'll have a chance to take your car out to the track sometime soon. My 996 was amazing, and it's no worse for the wear after 2 DEs.

I'd love to see a photo of your new wheels.

Bob
Old 10-16-2009, 04:19 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

let's see what we got here...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...with-pics.html
Old 10-16-2009, 04:49 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be afraid to take it to the track. I took mine to the track for the first time in May and it was incredible - the capabilities vastly exceed mine. Great time, comfortable, easy to drive, and safe.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:42 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Perfect weather expected for the weekend. Looking forward to a great 2 days at VIR with the Northern NJ PCAers.

Have a great weekend!
Bob
Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Bring back and post a bunch of pictures Bob!
Old 11-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Jeff996
Instructor

Have fun Bob! Post photos when you return.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:20 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like cold in the morning by great during the day! Have a blast.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:19 PM
rmurph
Instructor

Good luck. Just remember to keep your foot in it on the corners, especially hog pen. Should be great driving weather. Send pictures!
Old 11-08-2009, 08:39 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Thanks, everone! Just got back - had an incredible DE. The family had a chance to see me run around, and I drove better than I ever have before. The things I've learned kind of came together - I drove my last session solo and kept up with a driver in a GT3 for almost 3 laps (until the checked flag). It was probably the most fun I"ve had on track simply because I felt faster and way more capable. The car never fails to astound me!

The weather was outstanding today for the last 3 sessions. I found the line for every spot that has hampered me. Keep in mind, I'm not saying I drove the line - I just found it. I drove the line most of the time. It's tough to explain, but the track came together in giant chunks today: turns 1-5 were continuous; the climbing S's and South Bend were together; And my personal favorite, roller coaster and hog pen came together (I had some trouble with those turns until this morning).

I'll post photos and video later this week.

Bob

Last edited by rotokim; 11-09-2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: made it flow better
Old 11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Default Some Photos

Here are some photos my wife took of me on the track, as well as some of the other beautiful cars that were running.

I'm still editting the video from my last run of the day - I had a fantastic 3 lap run with a GT3 and a Nissan 350Z. They killed me on the straights, but I always caught up and was right with them through all the turns. Best time I've ever had at VIR!

The E36 M3 is my instructor's car. Great guy. Based on what he told me, I'd like to try one of their DEs sometime (if they allow it). Sounds like a lot of intense learning. He said that in advanced classes, they'll run the entire track 2-wide to learn how to react to that kind of racing situation. Also, they teach you how to drive the track without using brakes to show you what to do if they fail!

There was a photography company called Sidelines Sports Photography on site for this event. They're the official photographers for TRG and Farnbacher Loles. So, I ordered a disc and will post some new photos when the disc arrives in a few weeks. They were really good and a nice change of pace from the other photographers who are usually there - I'm a fan of theirs too. But, their styles are very different.

I hope all the Cary/Apex guys have a fantastic time at the track later this month.

Bob
Attached Images           

Last edited by rotokim; 11-11-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-11-2009, 01:18 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Forgot to post this one.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: DE at VIR - Preparation