996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Looking for windhield replacement instructions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:29 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

tried calling but my local AAA doesnt do glass ...

the process as it was explained to me is:

remove the glass by cutting the molding around it.

clean old urethane

prime exposed metal

install one part of the new molding on the glass and place glass in opening

install second part of molding on the car

tape over it using painters tape

let the car "rest" for 4 hours.

drive it home and park it for 48 hours min

Does that seem right ?

thanks
Old 10-24-2009, 06:24 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

had this done today... took some time but came nice. I took some actions pics which I will post later.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
tried calling but my local AAA doesnt do glass ...

the process as it was explained to me is:

remove the glass by cutting the molding around it.

clean old urethane

prime exposed metal

install one part of the new molding on the glass and place glass in opening

install second part of molding on the car

tape over it using painters tape

let the car "rest" for 4 hours.

drive it home and park it for 48 hours min

Does that seem right ?

thanks
I watched Safelite glass installer -- Safelite used by many insurance companies and even dealers in area to install Porsche glass -- install new glass in my Boxster. Watched him off and on, cause car at work and I was working so I couldn't stay and watch the several hour process (from start to finish).

He used special tool to pry up glass from base of window frame. Old glass cracks but it is being replaced cause its no good.

He cleaned up and was ready to install and we checked new glass beforehand. It was factory glass and identical in every way to old glass. Put in new rubber adhesive gasket too.

After he installed the glass and put things back together he put painters tape across top of glass where glass and rubber strip meet. Said to leave it on until I parked the car for the night.

Said I could drive car but should wait a few hours, which was not a problem. He said to avoid subjecting car to high stresses. Regular driving ok but no high speed high load cornering, etc. (I already knew not to do this after new glass installed, at least for a while.) Said to avoid washing car for a while, I forget how long, but not long. Days week maybe.

First few times I did wash car I avoid directly spraying water right at where glass and rubber meet. I never do this anyhow. Also I checked for any signs of water leaks and found none.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Macster and anybody else with experience....how was Safelite? My wife took a rock to the windshield of our BMW yesterday. AAA is pushing Safelite. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Years ago the replacement of front windshields was fairly simple for the owner/operator. Not so these new cars. The windshield is now considered a part of the structural rigidity of the car, and must be done per factory instructions. The average owner can't do this. Even the factory uses a special robot to assist with this, as the process is very exacting. With the complexity of these cars today, you also need to provide the VIN so that all the particular options unique to that car are included in the replacement, e.g., antenna leads, etc. I highly recommend Safe Lite as they do this stuff for a living, and know what they're doing. They also have the specialized equipment to do them correctly. You will find that most dealerships will subcontract that out to them, rather than to attempt to tackle them themselves.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:42 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

the only thing that went differntly from the steps above was the addition of a rope molding to prevent squeeks

here are some pics

Quick Reply: Looking for windhield replacement instructions