IMS bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:12 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by wallen
Bump. Jake?

Jake has not been active on the forums since his dad passed away a few weeks ago

http://forums.aircooledtechnology.co...cement.php?f=2

John
Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 AM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Jake has not been active on the forums since his dad passed away a few weeks ago

John
That's so sad. Thanks for posting the news and letting us know, John.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:53 PM
wallen
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC

John
Yeah, I saw that when I went to his website. Bad news every which way you look at it. Charles' earlier answer helps me out for now anyway.

My condolences Jake.

W.

Last edited by wallen; 11-10-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:58 PM
wallen
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
BWA Auto can do the retrofit kits and has experience rebuilding the M96 engine as well.
Thanks Charles! That helps a lot, I'll give them a call. They are only a short 3 hour drive from where I live (a run I tend to make every week anyway), so that's excellent! :-D

W.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 PM
99C2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
BWA Auto can do the retrofit kits and has experience rebuilding the M96 engine as well.
Charles:

Who do you recommend in the NW Burbs? I missed the opportunity to talk to you at the recent Porsche club gathering a few weeks ago.

Question:

IMS - Are the issues for all M96 or just early years 99~?? that are subject to failure?

Thx,
99C2

Last edited by 99C2; 11-17-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:19 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 99C2
Charles:
Question:
IMS - Are the issues for all M96 or just early years 99~?? that are subject to failure?
Thx,
99C2
The short answer is that all of them are vulnerable but the full story has been extensively documented here already a number of times.

Search for Jake Raby's post on M96 failure modes. Good reading, if not a little anxiety inducing.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,159 Likes on 605 Posts

Currently, the only shop in the Chicagoland area that has done it is Joe Rizza Porsche, and they are very experienced with doing it. Another individual whom I met at the winter Tech session had Rizza do the work and they were very pleased with the price and level of service he received.

Chris Schuh in Wisconsin also did one recently during an engine swap for our local region autocross chair who lost an engine to oil starvation at R.A.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:37 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Van

I was at one of Jake Raby's sites - he has some great M96 engine articles there, like this one on replacing the IMS bearing: http://www.flat6innovations.com/savi...e-ims-retrofit

Just thought people would find it interesting.

Van, what did you end up doing ?

and are you going to Lime Rock this weekend ?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Steve2112
Racer

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Lets just say that the majority of the IMSR procedures I have carried out have given us some of the best testimonials in the history of my company. Its fairly difficult (generally) to exceed the expectations of a discerning owner when applying a preventive procedure thats not cheap.

These owners have driven or shipped their car from various parts of the country to have work done that doesn't give them any added performance... They never feel or see the difference the IMSR affords their engine.

Amazingly, they are among the happiest group of people I have ever worked with after the fact.
I consider myself part of this group - my 3 year CPO had just ran out, and I decided it would be a good solution to something that potentially would keep me from sleeping well at night.

I shipped my car from Rhode Island to GA, and it arrived back fine and I am not sure if the IMS would ever be an issue for my car, but at at least I took some action that should have positive results - both from a car standpoint and my paranoia level (and also the other stuff like clutch kit, water pump, and other stuff that needed some attention like a sticky lifter and the other common while you are in there stuff RMS etc.).
Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 PM
jjb7
Rennlist Member

Ceramic bearings are that expensive. Porsches are very high profit margin cars. Porsche engineers neglected to provide adequate lubrication to the bearing and assumed that sealing the bearing would fix it. they were wrong. Porsche has designed out the IMS. IMO, that was the wrong direction.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 PM
jjb7
Rennlist Member

Jake,

I have a '99 that has dual row bearings. Why not neadle bearings for this application?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to read up on the subject. There is a history and reason for Porsches use of the sealed bearing there. There is no cooling via fresh supplied lubricant, so needle bearings would not last 100 miles. Plus there is rather large amount of needed axial play and loading, not suitable at all for needled bearings. The load, temperature, and lack of lubricant flow make the ceramic bearing the best choice.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:24 AM
jjb7
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by perryinva
You need to read up on the subject. There is a history and reason for Porsches use of the sealed bearing there. There is no cooling via fresh supplied lubricant, so needle bearings would not last 100 miles. Plus there is rather large amount of needed axial play and loading, not suitable at all for needled bearings. The load, temperature, and lack of lubricant flow make the ceramic bearing the best choice.
Lack of lubricant flow - LN Engineering uses open bearings that rely upon splash lubrication

Temperature- use ceramic not high carbon steel

Axial load- ball bearings can not support axial load, only thrust or tapered-roller bearings can be used.

Axial misalignment- dual row ball bearings? eh? Tapered-roller bearings can handle some misalignment.

Porsche's solution was to eliminate the IMS altogether instead of providing sufficient lubrication.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:03 AM
kaiylepyne
1st Gear

Only problem here is that you have no data on the quality,performance, or longevity for this kit, the LN unit has over 4,000 units installed in the field. I'm sure Casper knows their bearings, but I would be remiss if I did not note that LN and Jake Raby tested the Hell out of the LN unit before they made it available; I have seen no data on what level of testing this other supplier has done....

<link deleted>

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 08-29-2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: non-sponsor advertising
Old 08-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
Thanks Bruce.
Do you know if these are the only guys in the GTA doing the Jake Raby IMS bearing replacement?

I just had my bearing replaced with the LN unit by Brent Hunter at a very reasonable price.

Quick Reply: IMS bearing replacement