996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:59 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks, Tippy. I couldn't resist this topic. Having done the upgrade, I wanted to contribute.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by chsu74
Do you mind sharing how much you paid and how long it took them? labor charge per hour and how many hours it took them..
My pricing won't make much sense to most guys here, because we seem to pay so much more for everything than you do. Let's just say that the labour was about the same as the labour for a clutch replacement. Whatever that costs where you are is going to be the ballpark price for the IMS bearing retrofit.

FWIW, my rationale on some of the earlier questions was this: Every M96 engine is vulnerable because of the IMS design, and always will be regardless of what you do to 'fix' it. But the retrofit part is overbuilt to a degree that Porsche could never have afforded on a mass scale. I don't see it as eliminating the risk 100%, but I do see it as reducing it by many orders of magnitude, at roughly 10% of the cost of a new motor. Just speaking for me, that math made sense.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:14 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Bruce,

So basically, if you are going in to replace a clutch, like a RMS replacement, it makes sense to do this? Obviously, the part is more expensive than a RMS seal...
Old 10-02-2009, 11:18 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bruce -- also good to see you again on the site.

Were you having other work done, so did this as part of a larger maintenance visit (e.g., doing a clutch, rms & bearing at once)? Or was this a specific, preemptive strike?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:20 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by chsu74
Bruce,

So basically, if you are going in to replace a clutch, like a RMS replacement, it makes sense to do this? Obviously, the part is more expensive than a RMS seal...
IMHO, that would be an easy call. A large part of the labour is redundant. The incremental cost would be in the hundreds of dollars in that case.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:25 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
Bruce -- also good to see you again on the site.

Were you having other work done, so did this as part of a larger maintenance visit (e.g., doing a clutch, rms & bearing at once)? Or was this a specific, preemptive strike?
Thanks.

This was a 'preemptive strike'.

I love the car, and I've done a lot to it to make it 'mine'. There's nothing I want more that would even come close to justifying the loss if I sold it, and that includes a 997. So the game becomes one of how to make it last. As I said earlier, its value to me is measured in the miles ahead of it. So I'm a maintenance *****.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:14 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Thanks.

This was a 'preemptive strike'.

I love the car, and I've done a lot to it to make it 'mine'. There's nothing I want more that would even come close to justifying the loss if I sold it, and that includes a 997. So the game becomes one of how to make it last. As I said earlier, its value to me is measured in the miles ahead of it. So I'm a maintenance *****.
Hi Bruce
Who or where in TO did yours? How much? (I'm in Mississauga)
Old 10-02-2009, 04:21 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
Hi Bruce
Who or where in TO did yours? How much? (I'm in Mississauga)
These guys. I think it was in the mid-two grand range. I don't have the invoice in front of me, and I had some suspension work done at the same time.

http://www.engineeredautomotive.com

Dave Tomassetti is the former Pfaff tech I mentioned. I can't say enough good about these guys. Total perfectionists. They have a black C2 in there right now getting the kit installed, actually.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:33 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Bruce.
Do you know if these are the only guys in the GTA doing the Jake Raby IMS bearing replacement?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:50 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
Thanks Bruce.
Do you know if these are the only guys in the GTA doing the Jake Raby IMS bearing replacement?
Sorry, I don't know. There certainly could be others by now.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:39 AM
wallen
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
We are working with competent, open minded Porsche shops throughout the world to get this technology into their hands so more engines can be saved. Believe it or not some Porsche Dealerships have installed these IMS bearings.
Quick question Jake: Have you worked with any Workshops in Australia that you rate to perform the upgrade? About to jump into my first Porker, want a 3.6 C2 6 speed, and plan on maximising enjoyment and minimising pain. As no amount of inspection short of a full takedown will guarantee I don't get something about to fail, and as half the cars I'm seeing haven't had their Porsche warranty maintained, I'd like a little extra peace of mind.

Several of the independants here are imploring me to bypass the M96-engined cars and stick with a Turbo/GT3 because of these issues. Unfortunately I either lose practicality (GT3) and/or increase cost and age (both Turbo and GT3)

Wayne.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 PM
wallen
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump. Jake?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 583 Posts

BWA Auto can do the retrofit kits and has experience rebuilding the M96 engine as well.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:08 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

How about any shops in northern California?

TIA.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:08 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Since many asked, the shop that did mine here in Southern California is Otto's in Venice. Daniel, the tech is great guy.

I have had my car serviced between them and Callas Rennsport in Torrance, so i'm sure Tony can also do this; Otto's was simply closer and I've been going to them recently. Both are perfectly great shops.

Quick Reply: IMS bearing replacement