Sponsored by:

In Car Concealed Carry

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:51 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
I was pretty serious, and maybe my use of foul language was an attempt to get the thread locked.

I'm settled down now, but seriously guys, if my wife cuts someone off by accident and that guy starts waving a gun around I would see that as a major problem.

Here in Western Canada guns on the street are still pretty rare. Sure we get the odd gang fight when one low life executes another, but regular guys driving Porsches and carrying guns? Not a ****ing chance.

Sorry to be taking the high road here - but I see this as a *good* thing. I reckon tings are pretty messed up when you think you have to carry a gun in your car. I could see doing this if I lived in Russia or somewhere else where people are poor and drink too much, but in a proper civilized country....that's not good.

But whatever...I guess I should take my own advice and not follow threads I don't approve of. No harm no foul eh? Don't go hunting me down and putting a cap in my *** or anything, just an opinion - don't mean nuthin' by it...

I'm pretty much with you jasper,

and I'm embarrassed that my fellow countrymen have such a casual view about carrying a weapon capable of such violence and destruction. They are just giving themselves a false sense of security. More likely than not, the gun will be used against them or their loved ones, or some innocent person down the road.

I can't imagine living my life in such fear that I can't walk outside without my "piece". Sad state of affairs when a "civilized" country sees such a "need" for baring arms.

Phil
Old 09-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt

and I'm embarrassed that my fellow countrymen have such a casual view about carrying a weapon capable of such violence and destruction. They are just giving themselves a false sense of security. More likely than not, the gun will be used against them or their loved ones, or some innocent person down the road.

I can't imagine living my life in such fear that I can't walk outside without my "piece". Sad state of affairs when a "civilized" country sees such a "need" for baring arms.

Phil
Nice job dragging this even further OT, Phil

It is against my better judgment, but I can't let you comments go unanswered. A gun is just a tool. By itself it has no capability for violence or destruction, however like many tools it can be misused.

The gun owners that I know, do not live their lives in the state of fear that you describe. Quite to the contrary, many are the most fearless individuals that I have ever met. Furthermore, I find it interesting that many of the safest places in this nation have some of the highest per capita levels of legal gun ownership levels and the least restrictive gun laws, while many areas with the lowest level of legal ownership level and most restrictive laws are some of the most dangerous and unsafe. Chicago, definitely falls among the latter group.

While I do not carry in public, I have zero animosity toward those who do. In fact while new home shopping with my wife and realtor a few weeks ago I saw a man (civilian) out walking his dog with a gun strapped to his hip. My reaction was not one of fear, hostility, or reproach. Instead I commented to my wife, "This must be a very safe neighborhood".

Your statement that "More likely than not, the gun will be used against them or their loved ones, or some innocent person down the road." has absolutely zero basis in "fact", for anyone who is even remotely familiar with the statistics surrounding such a bogus assertion.

Finally, if you want an off topic debate on gun control and ownership why not start your own thread in the proper forum rather than taking a big steaming dump in someone elses thread?

Back on topic, I carry my guns to and from the range in the front trunk of my 996 (unloaded with ammunition separate as required by IL state law).
Old 09-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Zoolander
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well spoken Ray.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:01 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

More likely than not, the gun will be used against them or their loved ones, or some innocent person down the road.

Phil
Don't drink the Kool Aid Phil.

That statistic does not exist except in the minds of the self righteous, anti gun lobby. In fact, it's an intentional lie that has cost the lives of many innocents who could have defended themselves if not for the oppressive anti-gun laws.

Do some research Phil before you spout the left's anti-gun agenda. You might actually become enlightened but I doubt it...
Old 09-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoolander
Well spoken Ray.
+1
Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

But you sure enjoy owning a car that can go 175 mph, right?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:52 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is getting terrible. The posts are getting so OT that I would like to request to close this thread.

We don't need a philisophical discussion about why people carry. The question is simply someone who is looking to carry (I assume legally), wants to know where they can put their handgun based on the experiences of others. In the last 2 pages, we have not received any addtional comments on this topic.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Luckyr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ball peen hammer under the rear passenger mat. Legal in all 50. Not gonna haunt me if the car is stolen.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,073 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by pszikla
Why do you need to carry a gun?
That is crazy paranoia..........!!
I agree it is crazy, but things are different in the US then Canada.

Many would like to blame guns as the cause of murder, but that is something I do not think is true.

The reality is that we have a culture problem here that results in a high homicide rate. If you look at the Justice Department statistics you will see nearly half the prison population is African American. However 8% of the total US population is African American. The alarming disproportion should be a loud warning bell to all that we need to seriously resolve these cultural issues because the trend is getting worse. I have social theories as to why this is, but that is beyond the scope of this thread.

The US murder rate is very high. The only good news is that the actual crime rate in the US is lower than many European countries. Nevertheless, it is a problem that is growing and criminals are preying on the law abiding citizens as well as their own.

Where I live we are seeing a rise in bold armed home invasions. Home invasions typically took place when the house was empty. However, the trend now is shifting to hit the house during hours when it is occupied by a family and force the occupants to surrender money and valuables or in some cases hostages are taken for ransom.

I believe most of these invasions are by well armed individuals, some with rifles. Homicides are on the rise and the Justice Department now runs advertisements on the radio with instructions on how to prepare for the scenario.

My GT3 is the only car I own. So far I have never had any kind of incident. I would be glad to surrender my car if car jacked. Unfortunately, being cooperative is meaningless in some cases. The driver may just as well be shot for the fun of it.

At home we have a German Shepherd Dog that loves to bark, with intent, at the slightest outside noise. My hope is that any potential intruder would think twice before entering. However, I have been considering moving a pistol or two out of my large safe and into a safe designed for rapid access as a backup plan.

The last thing in the world I would want to do is to be forced to use a firearm in defense. However, I would not think twice about using deadly force against any deadly threat against my family.

While I do not have a concealed carry permit, the thought has been crossing my mind of late. While I may apply, I just can't imagine myself actually going through with carrying a weapon on my person outside of my home for self defense purposes. As you stated, it is crazy, but the threat is also very real, unfortunately.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,073 Likes on 574 Posts

More likely than not, the gun will be used against them or their loved ones, or some innocent person down the road.
Phil
I think that has been pretty well proven to be a myth.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:37 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh wow. I thought this thread would have been locked by now. I worry about keeping a weapon in my car, because it is a cab and I do occasionally leave it with the top down. But since I use the car occasionally to take kids to and from school, I can't legally have a firearm in it anyway. If I were to carry a weapon in it, I would put a short barrel .38 in the locking center console.

There. I didn't go OT or anything. Hardly.

Downside of my suggestion above is that if one were in need of said weapon, one would have to stop the car, remove the key, then unlock and open the compartment. Not exactly a "quick draw" solution.

BTW, I was once a victim of an armed robbery. If you want to chat on that, let me know what thread to participate in.

Michael
Old 09-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
This is getting terrible. The posts are getting so OT that I would like to request to close this thread.

We don't need a philisophical discussion about why people carry. The question is simply someone who is looking to carry (I assume legally), wants to know where they can put their handgun based on the experiences of others. In the last 2 pages, we have not received any addtional comments on this topic.
Dont close, we want to see the guys who get their panties in a wad. CHLed people are proven law-abiding citizens through background checks. I could see if they were all convicts.

Door pockets in the 996 are good and possibly (I thought about trying but never did) putting a gun between the seat and the door sill. So, when you remove the seatbelt, you then grab the gun and the perpretrator may not even notice. But, if he does, it maybe game over for you.

So, needless to say, I never did it.

Remember guys, CHL people ONLY use in defense, not offense.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh and btw, imagine you're getting car jacked, you dont have a gun but a person with a CHL does and just so happens to see the incident.

He walks behind the jacker and stops him/her right there (not literally shooting him/her, just making his/her presense known).

It can happen.

Quick Reply: In Car Concealed Carry