Sponsored by:

Weissach Autohaus in CT and 2004 C4S vs BMW 135i

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM
r_liebo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Armand
Anyone have experience in purchasing a car from Weissach Autohaus in CT? Good / bad?

I am considering this 2004 C4S, but am a bit skeptical over the asking price of $48k for a 2 owner car.

http://www.weissachautohaus.com/cars...3/090403.html#

Edmunds shows that the car should be in the range from $38k to $41k??? I am 3 hours away from them and don't want to waste 6 hours of driving time only to come home disappointed and "empty handed" due to my assumptions.

I know it's strange, but I am considering this over a new BMW 135i which is much faster and even much much faster with a simple chip upgrade that I will probably do once the warranty is expired.

Please no hate mails since I am a multiple past and current Porsche owner - having a 987 Boxster S as my main daily driver during the summer. I plan to have either C4S or 135 as a daily year-round "no snow" driver. I.e. - I don't go out in the snow, but the car will see wet weather. I will keep the Boxster S also.

Thanks for the input!
I seriously considered a 335 2 years ago, and it is relatively close in feel. The 135 is more "raw" than the 335, quicke, smaller, and more tossable but still IMO not a true sports car like the 911.

Since you have a the Boxster S for weekends, understandably the appeal of the brand new BMW is strong for daily use. A used car is a used car, any way you slice it, and the free service and worry-free past have to be factored in.

As to other thoughts, I found my prior BMWs (owned a 7, a 5, and many 3s) poor foul weather vehicles, particularly snow. My 911 isn't a C4, so can't speak to how it does in the yuk.

Also, very subjectively, visually I find the 911 a work of art, but the 135 a bathtub on wheels. I haven't been a fan of BMWs save the latest Z since Bangle took over, and although he is gone, his influence isn't forgotten. To each his own in the looks department, but there is a visual balance to the 911 that the 135 can't match.

Anyway, both are great cars, can't go wrong either way.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:35 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the "bias" may be on your side. I've encountered several Porsche owners who feel "protective" of their purchases regardless of simple facts. Go figure that this post is in a Porsche forum...my bad.

I'm considering the C4S since I think it's the best looking 911 within reason. I'd buy a new 997 right now for it not for the fact that the interior is so similar to my Boxster that it wouldn't feel like I was driving a new/different car. My CFO (wife) says so also. I happen to really like "whale tail" 964's also, but I would purchase that car more as a collection vs. as a daily driver.

To your point, with "handling" being removed from the equation, the C4S looks better and has AWD. The 135 is faster, is more practical and has the benefit of being under warranty. The 135 nowhere looks as good as the C4S.

And lastly, regarding your results with 135's, I've "encountered" C5 and C6 Corvette owners with my Boxster S to which the results were not in their favor either. But this only means a few things: 1) they suck as drivers, 2) their car is broken, or more likely 3) they didn't even know you were in the other lane "racing" or that they weren't even trying. It doesn't mean that my Boxster S, regardless of equipment, is faster. With the stock flat 300 ft-lbs of torque available through most of the rpms on the 135, not only is the 135 faster, it feels that much faster also. The C4S engine, while no slouch, has a noticeable "dip" in the torque curve.

Back to my other point... this C4S does look pretty nice with the subtle yet noticeable red stitching. I'm not sure about the silver painted center console, however. Makes me think I may paint it Guards Red, but the color may be too overwhelming.

Still, I don't see the point of comparing apples to oranges.

So now you're saying the following:

C4S: Beautiful and AWD
135: Torquey and "fast" (but fugly)

And you're asking the 996 forum which one you should go for. We have 996's, what do you think we'd say?

BTW, I came from an AP1 S2000 to an E46 M3 to my 996 C4S, while having owned a W208 CLK430, E39 540i, E65 750i, and W211 E55 AMG at the same time. No Porsche bias here.

But I'll tell you, once I drove the 996 (C2 and C4S), I was hooked even coming from an E46 M3 (dinan stage 3, ltw fw, cat-back Ti exh.). I'm sure you felt the same when you got your 987?

So again the question arises...what's the point of comparing the 135i to these cars (996, 987, 997, etc) when they're made not just for straightline but overall driving experience.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:46 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Why aren't Subuarus and Misubishi EVOs in this 0-60 comparison? It should say something when you are comparing a new production model car to a Porsche that has been around since 2002...
Old 09-08-2009, 04:49 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Phil Cracco runs WAH and Dan Jacobs is responsible for the Hairy Dog Grrrrage across the way. They work together to choose and prepare cars sold @ WAH. Basically, Phil's the $$$ and Dan's the wrench and brains. Really nice show room, honest genuine guys but they definately have some overhead to cover. Bottomline, if you buy a car from them, they will take care of you. It's worth the trip to meet Phil and Dan you'll get that warm fuzzy feeling and feel good about spending more than it's worth All kidding aside, Phil will talk to you all day about cars even if you have no intention of buying one of his.... you won't be wasting you time.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:53 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by chsu74
Why aren't Subuarus and Misubishi EVOs in this 0-60 comparison? It should say something when you are comparing a new production model car to a Porsche that has been around since 2002...
Yeah, I was going to mention the Evo and STi but assumed the OP wants to stick with European cars. If it's turbo and torque he's after, then those two cars with AWD would be great cars.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:59 PM
ricster
Banned

check your PM M3 ARMAND
Old 09-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by ArneeA
And you're asking the 996 forum which one you should go for. We have 996's, what do you think we'd say?

BTW, I came from an AP1 S2000 to an E46 M3 to my 996 C4S...
There's the bias. But anyway, to your point, the Boxster S (and Cayman S) are the best handling Porsches we've ever driven. We've driven most at speed except for the Carrera GT (not enough rich friends to let us test drive!). We even like it handling-wise than the 997. Your E46 M3 was a pig on ice and I don't care what suspension was put in. I had a very modded E36 M3 supercharged posting about 310 hp to rear wheels with adjustable suspension all around trying to replicate the feel of my E30 M3... but my Boxster S was that much better.

I should have guessed that you have a C4S given the "holier than thou" attitude. Have you even driven a 135? If you can't post anything "constructive", why bother? Anytime I posted on other's threads, I always provide constructive information and not "hate posts". Feel free to skip on this thread please. I'm only interested in constructive feedback.

And honestly, your attitude is really a detractor to having others want to buy a Porsche. This is what gives other "nice" Porsche owners a bad reputation.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by chsu74
The refinement of either car is not there. Plus, although I wish, I'm no longer a hooligan teenager...maybe just a hooligan!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

M3Armand, you missed my C4S by one month. It was without any question the most perfect, lowest mileage (3450 miles) 2004 in the US. It sold for WELL under the asking price of that 20K mile car you're interested in. That car should sell for no more than $40K.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Zoolander
Racer

The C4S is a gorgeous car which is respected. Can you say the same about a 135?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

There's the bias. But anyway, to your point, the Boxster S (and Cayman S) are the best handling Porsches we've ever driven. We've driven most at speed except for the Carrera GT (not enough rich friends to let us test drive!). We even like it handling-wise than the 997. Your E46 M3 was a pig on ice and I don't care what suspension was put in. I had a very modded E36 M3 supercharged posting about 310 hp to rear wheels with adjustable suspension all around trying to replicate the feel of my E30 M3... but my Boxster S was that much better.

I should have guessed that you have a C4S given the "holier than thou" attitude. Have you even driven a 135? If you can't post anything "constructive", why bother? Anytime I posted on other's threads, I always provide constructive information and not "hate posts". Feel free to skip on this thread please. I'm only interested in constructive feedback.

And honestly, your attitude is really a detractor to having others want to buy a Porsche. This is what gives other "nice" Porsche owners a bad reputation.
No "holier than thou" attitude here. I'm going back to the same point... apples-to-oranges.

Yes, the E46 M3 is a even with any sort of suspension. Yes, I've driven the 135, 335, E92 and E90 M3.

It seems you only want to hear what favors your decision?

Again, good luck.

BTW, grow a thicker skin man. It's the internet.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:37 PM
ahcjar103
Intermediate

mr. armand,

happy to hear you are in this position. that said, i dont see any bias coming from arnee, rather, he's giving you his honest thoughts.

from what i can garner in the thread, it sounds like you know plenty about both cars, have your mind pretty much made up about what you want, dont have enough money to get the one you want, and cant sack up enough to get the alternative.

if i was you, i'd tell my cfo i'm readjusting the budget to get choice #1. or better yet, just do it.

"i'm a man" - mike gundy

regards,
adam
Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 PM
ahcjar103
Intermediate

ps. FWIW, my car looks exactly like the one you're considering buying, both exterior and interior wise, except i have CF all over the interior (door handles, steering wheel, clusters, consoles, shifter, etc etc) and a navi. i say go for it dude.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by Phil G.
M3Armand, you missed my C4S by one month. It was without any question the most perfect, lowest mileage (3450 miles) 2004 in the US. It sold for WELL under the asking price of that 20K mile car you're interested in. That car should sell for no more than $40K.
Oh Phil don't I know it!!! I would have let you visit the car every so often, too! I PM'ed you to that effect last week or two to see what you got for it, remember? Seriously, had I shopped sooner, I most likely would have purchased your car. Another person's car also looks great, but it's located in Hawaii!!! I would have to cough up a family vacation on top of the cost of the car.

I agree that at face value, the car should be in the $38k to $41k range. But I hate to say or be a "wouldjatake" when I haven't even seen the car. The kicker is, they are 3 hours EACH way for me.

I saw and drove this car at Herb Chambers... they claim and write it to be a "1 owner" car in their description until we pulled the CARFAX... 3 owners. I hate this bait and switch tactic. Plus, the car was filthy... I felt like taking a shower after driving it. Although the car's paintwork was 3.5 to 4.5, the rear bumper (plastic and doesn't register on a paint meter) was painted (badly at that) and the front bumper had remnants of people "parking by feel". I actually asked them if they could say the car was worth $50k with a straight face....they said "no". Well, at least I got that out of them. He said the car was a 9 out of 10. I said that must be on some "exponential" scale. The car had dings, wheel curb rash, etc.. did I already say it was filthy?

http://chambers.porschedealer.com/20...00708/info.php

So needless to say, I hate disappointments and things that are "not as advertised". Driving 6 hours total to Weissach with potentially a crying baby would make me want to hurt somebody if the cars were not as advertised.

Originally Posted by Zoolander
The C4S is a gorgeous car which is respected. Can you say the same about a 135?
Nope, you certainly cannot... which is why this decision isn't exactly easy. And yes, the C4S is a gorgeous car. I actually think it looks better than the 996 TT especially with the Sport Techno wheels. It looks quite elegant.

Originally Posted by ahcjar103
from what i can garner in the thread, it sounds like you know plenty about both cars, have your mind pretty much made up about what you want, dont have enough money to get the one you want, and cant sack up enough to get the alternative.

if i was you, i'd tell my cfo i'm readjusting the budget to get choice #1. or better yet, just do it.

"i'm a man" - mike gundy

regards,
adam .....
"I'm a man"... heeheehehe... this reminds me of that song... here it is for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj4vLZJhNEk

No, my mind isn't made up. The "used car" stigma is what's probably bothering me more. And I think the 135 will actually cost MORE than the C4S... And since my wife is a car nut herself, SHE actually wants either of these cars instead and I'm the one (CEO privilege) putting my foot down since I'm the one who needs a daily driver and not her. Granted, these are not daily drivers. But we have too many summer cars as it is and already have garage issues.

http://www.weissachautohaus.com/cars...B/090803B.html
http://www.weissachautohaus.com/cars...B/090604B.html

I did e-mail Phil from Weissach and all three cars are still available. We're vacationing at the Cape at the moment but will see if we can plan to take a look at the cars soon. Traveling is tough with a 6 month old. So it's quite a production traveling with a baby.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:44 PM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of mine at work bought a 135i recently and I had a chance to take it out after the break-in period. My frame of reference is my '99 C2 so it may not be quite the same as the C4S, but I didn't find the power to be that different. I realize the torque is alot higher, but at the top end, my car still felt like it had more punch. Maybe it was the weight difference as well... Just interesting that so many have stated that the 135 is SOOO much faster. I tend to disagree. And in a turn/curve, fuggeddabboudit!

Quick Reply: Weissach Autohaus in CT and 2004 C4S vs BMW 135i