Sponsored by:

Weissach Autohaus in CT and 2004 C4S vs BMW 135i

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weissach Autohaus in CT and 2004 C4S vs BMW 135i

Anyone have experience in purchasing a car from Weissach Autohaus in CT? Good / bad?

I am considering this 2004 C4S, but am a bit skeptical over the asking price of $48k for a 2 owner car.

http://www.weissachautohaus.com/cars...3/090403.html#

Edmunds shows that the car should be in the range from $38k to $41k??? I am 3 hours away from them and don't want to waste 6 hours of driving time only to come home disappointed and "empty handed" due to my assumptions.

I know it's strange, but I am considering this over a new BMW 135i which is much faster and even much much faster with a simple chip upgrade that I will probably do once the warranty is expired.

Please no hate mails since I am a multiple past and current Porsche owner - having a 987 Boxster S as my main daily driver during the summer. I plan to have either C4S or 135 as a daily year-round "no snow" driver. I.e. - I don't go out in the snow, but the car will see wet weather. I will keep the Boxster S also.

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-08-2009, 01:40 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have any experience with them, but I've never heard anything bad either.

I agree the price is a bit high for this market, but it's a nicely optioned 4S. I'm sure someone will pick it up. Personally I would bid about $42k for it, tops.

Ok, I won't flame you for the BMW...but really, an apples/oranges comparison. Two totally different cars. Drive both, the decision should be clear.

Good luck!
Old 09-08-2009, 01:46 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M3Armand
I know it's strange, but I am considering this over a new BMW 135i which is much faster and even much much faster with a simple chip upgrade that I will probably do once the warranty is expired.
^^I hope you know you're just talking about straightline "fast."

That C4S is nice with the red stitching and red belts! I like it. I seems the previous owner knew what he/she wanted.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by ArneeA

That C4S is nice with the red stitching and red belts! I like it. I seems the previous owner knew what he/she wanted.
Yes, I am talking "day to day" driving fast. Honestly, NONE of us out there will ever LEGALLY truly appreciate the full capabilities of a car until we take it to the track. On that note, I've done my 15+ years of track time. Also, my Boxster S will pretty much out handle anything else out there.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:57 PM
GulleyGulley
Advanced

I saw that car in their showroom earlier this summer. Loved it, just more than I could spend. I never bought from them, but they seem to know their cars. Porsche shop adjacent to their building is pretty interesting to go through. Worth the trip.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:02 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Yes, I am talking "day to day" driving fast. Honestly, NONE of us out there will ever LEGALLY truly appreciate the full capabilities of a car until we take it to the track. On that note, I've done my 15+ years of track time. Also, my Boxster S will pretty much out handle anything else out there.
If [legally] appreciating the full capabilities of a car matters, then why consider a C4S or a 135i for a daily driver?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:06 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

I spoke to them when buying my car. They typically get their cars from auctions with low mileage and do their own PPI. The also offer a one year 12,000 mile warranty on the cars they sell. It comes with a premium though and they don't negotiate very much. They have a used car dealership and mechanic shop overhead to support.

At the end of the day, I think you can get a better deal going private party with full records; perhaps even with CPO.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

If [legally] appreciating the full capabilities of a car matters, then why consider a C4S or a 135i for a daily driver?
I didn't say it did. But you were the one that wanted to interject that the 135 is "only faster in a straight line".
Old 09-08-2009, 02:09 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

I didn't say it did. But you were the one that wanted to interject that the 135 is "only faster in a straight line".
It probably is faster chipped but it does not handle as well.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by chsu74
It probably is faster chipped but it does not handle as well.
The 135 is faster stock. It's not just faster "chipped". It's MUCH faster chipped since a $600 chip will put in 400 rear wheel hp.

But anyway, the point I am trying to make in the previous posts is that on "daily" driving where I am not exploring the full capabilities of either car, the handling of the C4S will not that much be more appreciable driving at 5/10ths than the 135.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:09 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

The 135 is faster stock. It's not just faster "chipped". It's MUCH faster chipped since a $600 chip will put in 400 rear wheel hp.

But anyway, the point I am trying to make in the previous posts is that on "daily" driving where I am not exploring the full capabilities of either car, the handling of the C4S will not that much be more appreciable driving at 5/10ths than the 135.
It seems like you have your mind made up about the 135 because of its "speed." One reason one would pick the C4S over the 135 is the handling (and the fact that it's a 911). Yet you say it doesn't matter that it handles well because it will be a daily driver.

So the question to you is...why consider the C4S at all?

I don't know about the others' experience with the 135 but I've "encountered" a couple of stock 135s and the results were not in their favor.

Good luck "trying" to decide.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 918 Posts

I saw a 135 in my neighborhood yesterday. Personally I like the looks of the C4S much better. However, I do respect the performance of the 135. A big, turbocharged engine in a small car is an intoxicating combination. I'm sure it's a blast to drive one.

I agree with the previous comments - the C4S you are considering is very nice. It is well equipped and I really like the red stitching on the interior.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:08 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

I have seen a few 1 series around town. Just like Mini Coopers, I see cute girls behind the wheel.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:11 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by chsu74
I have seen a few 1 series around town. Just like Mini Coopers, I see cute girls behind the wheel.
At least you see cute ones. The ones around SoCal driving 1ers aren't all that cute!
Old 09-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

It seems like you have your mind made up about the 135 because of its "speed." One reason one would pick the C4S over the 135 is the handling (and the fact that it's a 911). Yet you say it doesn't matter that it handles well because it will be a daily driver.

So the question to you is...why consider the C4S at all?

I don't know about the others' experience with the 135 but I've "encountered" a couple of stock 135s and the results were not in their favor.

Good luck "trying" to decide.
I think the "bias" may be on your side. I've encountered several Porsche owners who feel "protective" of their purchases regardless of simple facts. Go figure that this post is in a Porsche forum...my bad.

I'm considering the C4S since I think it's the best looking 911 within reason. I'd buy a new 997 right now for it not for the fact that the interior is so similar to my Boxster that it wouldn't feel like I was driving a new/different car. My CFO (wife) says so also. I happen to really like "whale tail" 964's also, but I would purchase that car more as a collection vs. as a daily driver.

To your point, with "handling" being removed from the equation, the C4S looks better and has AWD. The 135 is faster, is more practical and has the benefit of being under warranty. The 135 nowhere looks as good as the C4S. Also, the C4S would be our first "used" car purchase so we are somewhat weary of that.

And lastly, regarding your results with 135's, I've "encountered" C5 and C6 Corvette owners with my Boxster S to which the results were not in their favor either. But this only means a few things: 1) they suck as drivers, 2) their car is broken, or more likely 3) they didn't even know you were in the other lane "racing" or that they weren't even trying. It doesn't mean that my Boxster S, regardless of factory equipment, is faster. With the stock flat 300 ft-lbs of torque available through most of the rpms on the 135, not only is the 135 faster, it feels that much faster also. The C4S engine, while no slouch, has a noticeable "dip" in the torque curve. My wife and I have driven the C4S "at speed" on the autobahn (see avatar with my wife driving). On a test drive, my wife even said the 135 is faster. For me to notice is one thing...for her to even notice means that much more! (Luckily, she doesn't spend time on the forums or I'd be in trouble for writing that.)

Back to my other point... this C4S does look pretty nice with the subtle yet noticeable red stitching. I'm not sure about the silver painted center console, however. Makes me think I may paint it Guards Red, but the color may be too overwhelming.

Quick Reply: Weissach Autohaus in CT and 2004 C4S vs BMW 135i