996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First time texas 996 buyer questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Women are funny (in many ways ) but especially that they always want a convertible -- but rarely drive with the top down.....

The back seat is a little tighter and the car's a little heavier, but Cabs are great too....
Stick with a manual if you can....
Old 09-08-2009, 03:29 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the hoist I built one for $50 from stuff at Home Depot. Pulleys and rope are predictable. For a cross bar I bought a piece of galvenized fencing material and covered it with pipe insulation secured with nylon ties. I have all the eye bolts and clips, etc. Top has been hanging in my garage since and if it doesn't get used this winter I'm going to stick it somewhere else.
Last, my wife also wanted a Cab and I got it to make the purchase move along smoother. My last sports car was an alfa that I had in Houston. It was little more than a go cart with a tarp. I really wanted a coupe this time around. I must agree with the previous posts about the good soft tops, the A/C, ease of operation etc. I love the Cab and now would never have a coupe. Well, of course I would have a coupe if it were my only option. I just love the Cab. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:24 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I love my cab (even though it is for sale). I am hoping to get a turbo cab. Nothing like it, and I live in NY!! I especially like hearing the engine rev, like music. It doesn't hurt that people like looking too at convertibles too. BTW, my wife likes the verts more than me.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:44 PM
ahcjar103
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

macster pretty much laid out everything you need to know. other than that, dont let the internet freak you out too much.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:09 AM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you read the Excellence article you will see that many 3.4's and early Boxster motors let go due to INFREQUENT usage and at low miles. A good deal let go while idling at stop lights.

Most of these made their way out of the market place. If you're worried, look for a car with a factory replacement engine. I did. You can usually get a great deal because of posts like these that are driving the prices down.

I know of a GT3 that might be considered an "arrive and drive" vehicle because it's spent so much time on a flat bead. Does this make GT3's bad cars?
Old 09-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Luckyr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwillman
I have been wanting a porsche for a while and have recently seen a couple of 1999 911 cab's in the Houston Texas area. Any thing I should look for with this MY?

Can anyone recommend a PPI location in Houston?

Thanks
Jim
Be aware that a car from Texas will likely have been run the vast majority of the time with the AC on and I would inspect the interior very carefully for sun damage.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:43 PM
lotecredneck
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a low mile coupe for sale here in Texarkana at a very attarctive price if you can use a coupe.

It is a 2000 with 34k miles, Porsche Sport Exhaust I think (with the switch on the dash) new Pirelli P-Zero's, new battery, 6 speed, Guards Red, Savanah interior, all oil changes and service done at the Porsche dealer in Dallas or Houston. He wants $20,000. I have seen the car and the only real negatives are the headlights are getting a little yellowed which can be easily polished out and the console is a little scratche up from the seat belts as this guy is fairly good sized.

A friend of mine looked at it and would have bought it but the seller was stuck at $25k so he bought a new Vette instead. If he had priced it at $20k then he would have bought it in a minute.

If anyone is interested send me a message and I will send you his name and phone number. I don't personally know this guy, but my friend is a good friend of his and says he is a straight up guy.

Tony

Quick Reply: First time texas 996 buyer questions