996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Redline oil and Limited slip diffs???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Redline oil and Limited slip diffs???

I just want to know if I should use 75W-90NS in my trans. It has a slight grind from 3rd to 2nd when the trans is cold, and it's downshifted aggressively. Upshifting at any time/aggression, or downshifting at any time/agression when hot is just fine.

Any suggestions?

I searched many of the threads on pros/cons of redline 75W-90NS trans (gear) oil.

This thread makes it sounds like C4s do NOT have LSDs, relying on the PSM instead, and so the NS-type oils are fine, but you need to run friction modifiers in LSDs.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...t-the-lsd.html

But then a dude who runs a cup car with an LSD runs the NS oil without issue.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...nsmission.html

Is it a safe bet my car (I just purchased an '01 C4) doesn't have an LSD? (I build 60's and 70s cars, and on a straight axle it's easy to find out, just jack up the rear, trans in neutral, and spin a wheel by hand and see what the other does. But on a transaxle???)

Then there was a link about the redline NS oils (non-slip), being TOO sticky for syncros (link below). Others say it helps them out much better than those oils that have friction modifiers in them. (1%-3% being best).
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...dline-oil.html (third post down)

TIA for helping the newbie!!
Old 08-28-2009, 03:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The two best gear oils I have run are:

1. The Porsche Shell Transaxle for my 996CAB

2. Mobil Delvac for my track cars (GT3, RS America, Spec Boxster)
Old 08-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Fissionx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't all C4s have LSD? This is the purpose of AWD, a viscus center diff coupling front and rear axles with an open differential would not be very functional.

You could conservatively run OEM fluid which I believe would solve the issue, and fine for street use.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:22 AM
kpl
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

per Redline's recommendation I've been running 75-140 in the dif and 75-140NS in the tranny. You can e-mail them youself and ask.

My tranny doesn't like to be shifted fast into 1st and second when cold, but I found that if I let the car warm up a bit longer before taking off on a cold morning it's fine. Changing the fluid from stock to Redline didn't make any difference in that regard (or any other percievable way).
Old 08-29-2009, 11:08 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fissionx
Don't all C4s have LSD? This is the purpose of AWD, a viscus center diff coupling front and rear axles with an open differential would not be very functional.
Unfortunately, no. The C4 has a viscous coupling center diff but the rear and front diffs are open. But the C4 comes standard with PSM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kpl
per Redline's recommendation I've been running 75-140 in the dif and 75-140NS in the tranny. You can e-mail them youself and ask.

My tranny doesn't like to be shifted fast into 1st and second when cold, but I found that if I let the car warm up a bit longer before taking off on a cold morning it's fine. Changing the fluid from stock to Redline didn't make any difference in that regard (or any other percievable way).
75-140? WTF for is the basis for RL's reco over the SUGGESTED 75-90 per PAG?

Quick Reply: Redline oil and Limited slip diffs???