996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The importance of the PPI...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:27 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I was looking for my 6TT I PPId one car that needed $25k!!!! in repairs and neglected maintenance, the PPI is a MUST!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 PM
JohnnyBuckhead
Intermediate

Too late for me now. Didn't even drive it! Beat that!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:13 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marlon
Anybody ever tracked or DE'd a C4 and 'liked' it - I read somewhere that they do ok. Maybe not quite as peppy or zippy as a 2wd, but a confident ride and deliver good mobility in the corners??? No hijak intended...
What you read was horse ****. People who put down the C4 haven't taken one to the track, or don't know how to drive them. Requires a slightly different braking and turn in strategy, but they are plenty "peppy and zippy".

See one in action: This video was taken by a friend so the C4 is the black cab # 218 right in front. Friend was driving a race-prepped 996 spec (2WD) and was practicing for a club race.

Eliminate the traffic, and the fact that we had prearranged to swap positions half-way thru, and you will see a C4 doing more than just "doing OK". He got caught up in traffic, so I had to slow down to let him catch up and swap positions. Notice that even after I let him by to take the lead, I never left his mirror. And even though he had an instructor on board, their total weight was way less than mine. And I'm no better a driver than he.

So why was I able to overcome the extra weight, the lack of rear weight bias, the understeer, the lack of rigidity due to being a cab, etc.? Simple: the differences are marginal, not dramatic. People who think there is only one configuration for going fast are usually just biased based on the particular car they decided to purchase. I drive a GT3 and a C4. As a GT3 driver, I can tell you that C4's are perfectly capable on the track.

http://www.vimeo.com/3181684
Old 08-24-2009, 10:46 AM
KJ1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to turn a wrench myself but I firmly believe in getting a PPI. I'm just not experienced with Porsche. I'd buy a Corvette any day of the week on just my own inspecting of it but the Porsche is a whole different animal.

I'm shopping for my 1st Porsche and have passed on a couple because of issues...

I'm hoping the 1 I looked at on Friday will have a clean PPI, I need to get with the seller still and get it scheduled...

-Karl
Old 08-24-2009, 08:25 PM
buzztt
Pro

it absolutely blows my mind that people buy cars without getting a ppi

but what gets me angry and totally flabbergasted is when i hear of people buying a house without getting an inspection

there are some very stupid/ignorant people on this planet
Old 08-24-2009, 09:48 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess ignorance is bliss for some...

Quick Reply: The importance of the PPI...