Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon drive for me tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:01 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Tail of the Dragon drive for me tomorrow!

I'm getting pretty excited as I'm only at work for another 45 minutes or so...

But anyway I'm heading out to Western North Carolina this evening so that early tomorrow morning I can participate in a run on the Tail of the Dragon with my Cabrio. One of the local PCA chapters is hosting the event. They're going for practically the whole weekend but I'm only going for the drive on Saturday.

I won't be pushing it too much as I'm still not *that* familiar with my car but I am looking forward to the drive and will try to take as many photos as possible!

Hopefully after I participate in a DE in October I'll be comfortable enough with the car that these sorts of drives won't make me as nervous. I'm not as scared with the handling characteristics as I was when I first purchased the car but with these sorts of roads you can never be too careful...
Old 08-14-2009, 07:39 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been many many times. You'll love it. Take your camera.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay off the throttle, there are a lot of very sharp turns that follow a blind turn that can easily take you off guard. And I hope the weather treats you better than it did me, it rained the whole day when I was up there.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:40 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The TOD is good, but this road is a lot better. Lots of LEO's on the Dragon.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I have done it on my Harley, never in the Porsche. Watch the curves, the trucks and the cops (they are all over this road). Also the bikes. It is one great ride or drive. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:40 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

The drive was unbelievable...I didn't push the car too much because I've heard of all the stories there and I didn't feel like contributing to the Tennessee State Patrol fund.

We drove several roads in the area but not the roads NOHTWO mentioned - I'll keep those in mind for the next visit. From the Dragon area we rode to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, then went to Clingman's Dome (what a hike that is when you've had a big lunch!).

I was able to take a few pictures but not as many as I liked since I was driving of course. I'll post them soon. But for anyone looking for a good drive, I do recommend not only the Dragon but any of the roads in that area. They all seem to be quite challenging and fun to drive in these vehicles.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon drive for me tomorrow!