996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Installed: EvoMS V-Flow and GIAC 93 Octane ECU Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 53 Posts

I would check your seals between throttle body and air flow tube. I've got the same CAI and never get 'searching', maybe a small air leak. A build up of carbon deposite in the butterfly flap could also cause this, get some carb cleaner in there...
Good choice on the CAI though, bit of a pain to change over cone filters but otherwise great product, oh and watch the EVOMS name plate, the screws holding it on have been know to come loose, I took mine off after one screw went 'missing'...
Old 08-15-2009, 07:13 PM
adg44
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by savannah996
i have looked under my trunk lid to see where the opening to draw air in is for this system. (above the air filter) i see there is a seal around the top of the filter box to seal aginst the trunk lid? but why does it do this?
It's to keep the hot air from the engine from getting into where the filter draws its air from.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 PM
adg44
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dervish
I would check your seals between throttle body and air flow tube. I've got the same CAI and never get 'searching', maybe a small air leak. A build up of carbon deposite in the butterfly flap could also cause this, get some carb cleaner in there...
Good choice on the CAI though, bit of a pain to change over cone filters but otherwise great product, oh and watch the EVOMS name plate, the screws holding it on have been know to come loose, I took mine off after one screw went 'missing'...
It's very minimal searching, and I am positive it's from not having a "straightener" for the air before the MAF sensor. I have been driving it more and it may not be doing it anymore, I'd have to check. Perhaps it was also just the ECU calibrating the idle to the new amount of airflow.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:52 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah996
i have looked under my trunk lid to see where the opening to draw air in is for this system. (above the air filter) i see there is a seal around the top of the filter box to seal aginst the trunk lid? but why does it do this?

It's to keep the hot air from the engine from getting into where the filter draws its air from.
Then why doesn't the unit come with a cover to completely close off where the filter is so that air can only come in through the snorkel?
Pete
Old 08-16-2009, 12:08 PM
adg44
Instructor

Originally Posted by pszikla
Then why doesn't the unit come with a cover to completely close off where the filter is so that air can only come in through the snorkel?
Pete
Probably because it's a lot cheaper to just put some molding around the top of the box and let it seal against the hood rather than creating a removeable top.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...maybe you could fab one if desired?

Originally Posted by pszikla
Pete
Old 08-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also wondered why the filter seals against lid rather than a cover. I can't believe it is just cost (which could just be passed along to us P-car owners anyway). It would be interesting to know why it was designed like this. Perhaps just to make us check the filter every time we check the oil?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:50 PM
savannah996
Instructor

Location: 996C2,6sp, Fister-d mufflers, K&N CAI, Savannah, GA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ohhhhhhhh its to REPLACE the filter??? me thinks?

I thought it had something to do with another inlet for airflow to the filter. which is why i looked for a air channel in the lid.

maybe one of the ballers with a GT3 (or racing) lid can tell us if there is a hole in the right side, over the cone filter?
Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Modifying the Evo intake? What did you do to it?

Also, when you guys post your dyno numbers are they SAE or raw numbers?
Corrected to SAE, gathered on my dynojet.

The engine was tracked all weekend, flawless and very fast!
More later..

Quick Reply: Installed: EvoMS V-Flow and GIAC 93 Octane ECU Upgrade