996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Couple questions about a 2002 CPO

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
mrwabam
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the dealership went into the console, did some adjustments and when they took it for the test drive noticed it still was popping out of second. They said at this point they think the transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

They then to me to get the car to the dealership I bought it from as they refused to do the work themselves (Refused may be too strong, but highly suggested) as there was a small chance it would not be covered by CPO, and if it wasn't they didn't want to charge me out of pocket, (Kudos to them)

They said the selling dealership would have to fix it without worry of charge to me, since it's such a new purchase.

Had to deal with the dealership in CT, they got Porsche to tow the car they'll have it in their hands tomorrow.

I'm beyond frustrated at this point, I paid more for a car with a CPO for a reason not having to deal with this crap. I could have saved 6-7k if I bought the car from a private seller and didn't pay for a CPO. I've had the car 3 weeks, and it's been in the shop 4 days already, and this is gonna take another 4-10 days (depending on rebuild or replacement of transmission)....

I'm getting to the point where i just want the dealership to buy the car back.

My salesguy is completely worthless.

Hoffman Porsche :thumbsdown:
Old 08-13-2009, 01:56 PM
mrwabam
Track Day

This is from the porsche warranty request from the dealer:

"Short Description of Issue:
8/13/2009 10:18:46 AM - Verified complaint of transmission popping out of second gear and found it hard to engage 2nd
5th and 6th gear. check transmission oil. slight bits of metal in oil. otherwise looks normal. clutch wear not a issue. clutch looks like it has minimal wear. suggest reman transmission install"

Are there any issues with a re manufactured Transmission?

How is a replaced Transmission going to effect my resale value? I imagine it will hurt it correct?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by mrwabam
This is from the porsche warranty request from the dealer:

"Short Description of Issue:
8/13/2009 10:18:46 AM - Verified complaint of transmission popping out of second gear and found it hard to engage 2nd
5th and 6th gear. check transmission oil. slight bits of metal in oil. otherwise looks normal. clutch wear not a issue. clutch looks like it has minimal wear. suggest reman transmission install"

Are there any issues with a re manufactured Transmission?

How is a replaced Transmission going to effect my resale value? I imagine it will hurt it correct?
Get the remanufactured transmission. It won't hurt resale value nearly as much as leaving the bad transmission in car. Be sure you get warranty info: 2 years, 24K miles IIRC and in writing.

Honestly, these cars not collectible, won't ever be collectible, so you should just try to take care of car and if a component fails and needs to be replaced, from light bulb to tranny, just source new part from dealer or authorized Porsche parts reseller and be done with it.

That transmission being replaced under warranty clearly indicates nothing you did caused the transmission to go bad so you can use this when (if) you go to sell or trade-in car as a sign you didn't abuse or mistreat transmission or car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:37 PM
42empress
Racer

Make sure you deal with Ethan, at service desk. He is a stand up guy. I agree with impression of sales people at this dealership. They replaced my transmission under CPO for a bad synchro, and grinding when cold. Ethan gave me a Cayenne S for the three weeks they had the car. Best of luck. Also, I did not buy mine from them, but from a dealer on LI. Best of Luck.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:55 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm beyond frustrated at this point, I paid more for a car with a CPO for a reason not having to deal with this crap. I could have saved 6-7k if I bought the car from a private seller and didn't pay for a CPO. I've had the car 3 weeks, and it's been in the shop 4 days already, and this is gonna take another 4-10 days (depending on rebuild or replacement of transmission)....

Had you bought a car without a warranty that did this, you would still be without the car and then paying the bill when it was ready. Look on the bright side of life.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:52 PM
mrwabam
Track Day

Got the car back today, they said the transmission was fine and that when they replaced the RMS they tweaked a cable which was causing it to pop out. Said they fixed the issue, test drove no problems.

Once I got the car back, i drove it around and it was popping out again.

my head is about to explode.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Blackness
Pro

Is this the dealer that sold you the car? First, the car should have gone through an extensive checklist to be CPO'd. They obviously didn't do a thorough job or I believe they would have found the issue with the transmission before you took delivery. Did you get a checklist with the CPO paperwork?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:22 PM
mrwabam
Track Day

This is the dealer that sold me the car. I did not get a checklist with the CPO. The salesguy told me that there was not paperwork, and that it was just registered as CPO. I called a separate dealership who verified the CPO did exist.

My girlfriend just picked up a CPO Cayenne S, she got the packet you are referring to. That was from a separate dealership however.

I'm waiting for a callback from the General Manager now. I told the sales manager "I have no faith in this car or your ability to fix it. I want to know what I have to do to return this vehicle. This is not what I expected in buying a CPO"

We'll see how this goes, unfortunately I think I'm SOL....

Anyone want to buy a certified pre-owned 02 C2 Cab?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackness
Is this the dealer that sold you the car? First, the car should have gone through an extensive checklist to be CPO'd. They obviously didn't do a thorough job or I believe they would have found the issue with the transmission before you took delivery. Did you get a checklist with the CPO paperwork?
You'd think the car would have gone through an extensive checklist but don't bet on it.

Just noticed my 03 Turbo's aftermarket battery missing vent tube connector. Someone taped the hose to the top of the battery where the hose connector should be.

Tech or whomever inspected this car for its CPO classification missed this.

Do not know how the system works but it could be to dealer's advantage to CPO car even with some "issues" and let customer find them. If dealer can argue issues due to wear/tear, no warranty claim.

Or if warranty claim PCNA pays.

If dealer finds any issues addressing them could come off its bottom line. And if too many issues or issue too expensive -- like new tranny -- car might not qualify for CPO and then dealer's stuck with a car it can't CPO and thus ask more money for and to make matters worse has to spend no little amount of money fixed the car before it can sell it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:42 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

This is the dealer that sold me the car. I did not get a checklist with the CPO. The salesguy told me that there was not paperwork, and that it was just registered as CPO. I called a separate dealership who verified the CPO did exist.

My girlfriend just picked up a CPO Cayenne S, she got the packet you are referring to. That was from a separate dealership however.

I'm waiting for a callback from the General Manager now. I told the sales manager "I have no faith in this car or your ability to fix it. I want to know what I have to do to return this vehicle. This is not what I expected in buying a CPO"

We'll see how this goes, unfortunately I think I'm SOL....

Anyone want to buy a certified pre-owned 02 C2 Cab?

Write a letter to the dealer stating you do not feel safe in the car and you want them to buy it back at full price. Tell them you have spoken to a lawyer and they and PCNA have had two attempts to fix the problem so far.

Then wait and see what happens. If nothing happens thencontact a lawyer that specializes in lemon laws. Drop their name in the second letter. You will get your car fixed.

it is not worth the price of a rebuilt tranny for them to buy back the car.

It sux but you have to fight them head on.

Written by a man who waited 5 weeks but got a new rebuilt engine after getting a run-around.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:21 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure lemon laws only refer to new cars. Sounds like Macster hit it on the head. Sell it CPO as is, then fix what the customer finds. No CPO packet, then it's not CPO'ed correctly.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Blackness
Pro

Originally Posted by perryinva
...Sell it CPO as is, then fix what the customer finds. No CPO packet, then it's not CPO'ed correctly.
If that's the dealer's standard practice, then it will eventually bit them in the a$$. I would imagine that PCNA pays attention to such. The car should pass a CPO inspection. Anything that it takes to make the car right goes to the dealer's bottom line on the car. If I was PCNA, I wouldn't want to foot the bill for something that should have been discovered during a CPO inspection.

"Fool me once, shame on—shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again."
-George Bush (or maybe Pete Townshend)
Old 08-24-2009, 10:15 PM
mrwabam
Track Day

Just wanted to chime in with an update:

The car still pops out, but very intermittently. I spoke with the General Manager, Sales Manager, and one of the executive directors of the dealership when I drove down there Saturday and refused to leave until I spoke with them.

I was unable to replicate the problem for them (as I said it happens very intermittently), so they said they believe me and were willing to give me a Cayman as a loaner while they checked it again, or if I could figure out a way to replicate it for them, they would let me trade in the car and they would give me what I paid for it in trade. They also said they would fix the problem, if there was one, but wanted to give me the option of the trade as they could tell i was pretty annoyed at this whole experience.

I basically told them that no one NEEDS a porsche, i bought this vehicle because i wanted an enjoyable experience. This experience has been nothing but a train wreck, and not what I signed up for at all.

Other than the 2nd gear issue, I love this car. Drives extremely strong, is in great condition, and is just a blast to be in.

I'll post some pics shortly.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:16 PM
mrwabam
Track Day

Just wanted to chime in with an update:

The car still pops out, but very intermittently. I spoke with the General Manager, Sales Manager, and one of the executive directors of the dealership when I drove down there Saturday and refused to leave until I spoke with them.

I was unable to replicate the problem for them (as I said it happens very intermittently), so they said they believe me and were willing to give me a Cayman as a loaner while they checked it again, or if I could figure out a way to replicate it for them, they would let me trade in the car and they would give me what I paid for it in trade. They also said they would fix the problem, if there was one, but wanted to give me the option of the trade as they could tell i was pretty annoyed at this whole experience.

I basically told them that no one NEEDS a porsche, i bought this vehicle because i wanted an enjoyable experience. This experience has been nothing but a train wreck, and not what I signed up for at all.

Other than the 2nd gear issue, I love this car. Drives extremely strong, is in great condition, and is just a blast to be in.

I'll post some pics shortly.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:08 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hope this helps

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocatermi..._law&csid=Eoca

Quick Reply: Couple questions about a 2002 CPO