996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Best way to get AUX input to 1999 C2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:47 PM
TdiRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to get AUX input to 1999 C2?

I have searched and I guess you can get an adapter for the back of the Becker 220 that gives you an AUX input so I can use an mp3 player and potable satellite radio.

Question: This seems the easiest. But the sound quality of the factory radio(with amp) seems a bit weak.

Would changed just the head unit and bypassing the factory amp be any better?

I don't really want to add another amp, speakers, etc...
Old 08-07-2009, 04:20 PM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.beckerautosound.com/parts/index.html
Old 08-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

You can change the head unit and use the factory amp with no problem, this will give you the features that you want. Sound will be "marginally" better at best, if at all.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:50 PM
TdiRacing
Rennlist Member

So is there an adapter to keep the factory amp, or do I just have to rewire it all?

Will probably get the becker adapter for the aux and call it a day, but still interested in other options. I know many people have upgraded sound systems, but not sure I want to spend that much...lol
Old 08-07-2009, 09:53 PM
sheatley
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I use the Becker adapter. It seems weak with XM radio running thru it. However, with IPOD, the quality matches the CD player. Not sure why. Overall, the quality seems to affected by road conditions, tire noise interferring with the sound, etc. I think you can only get so much in a car anyway.

Anywho, it is cheap and an easy install. Try and see if you like.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:43 AM
rpratt
Advanced

Originally Posted by TdiRacing
So is there an adapter to keep the factory amp, or do I just have to rewire it all?

Will probably get the becker adapter for the aux and call it a day, but still interested in other options. I know many people have upgraded sound systems, but not sure I want to spend that much...lol
I just swapped my CDR-220 head unit for a Alpine X305 specifically to give me a good iPod / iPhone interface, and I've been very happy with it. Not the cheapest head unit, but it sounds good and has a nice UI for the iPod/iPhone. And it keeps my iPhone charged while I'm listening, and is even smart enough to mute and switch to the Bluetooth headset when I get a call.

And since I just swapped the head unit, the install took about 15 minutes.

The only down side is that it has no ground wire to attach the alarm system, so my car now beeps once whenever I lock it. But I can live with that.

Bob
Old 08-09-2009, 09:30 PM
TdiRacing
Rennlist Member

Bob,

So you can hook up the headunit to the factory amp? Is there a special harness you need to do that? Confused by what needs to be done to just swap the headunit?
Old 08-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rpratt
I just swapped my CDR-220 head unit for a Alpine X305 specifically to give me a good iPod / iPhone interface, and I've been very happy with it. Not the cheapest head unit, but it sounds good and has a nice UI for the iPod/iPhone. And it keeps my iPhone charged while I'm listening, and is even smart enough to mute and switch to the Bluetooth headset when I get a call.

And since I just swapped the head unit, the install took about 15 minutes.

The only down side is that it has no ground wire to attach the alarm system, so my car now beeps once whenever I lock it. But I can live with that.

Bob
Bob, do a search on Renntech there is a fix for the alarm beep, I think you just need to ground the wire. I did this when I installed my Poineer AVIC-Z.
No more beep!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:31 PM
rpratt
Advanced

Bob,

So you can hook up the headunit to the factory amp? Is there a special harness you need to do that? Confused by what needs to be done to just swap the headunit?
I had the install done, I didn't do it myself, but I watched them do it and it literally took 15 minutes while I waited. I think a wiring harness was involved, but nothing too involved, obviously.

Bob
Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 PM
rpratt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Bob, do a search on Renntech there is a fix for the alarm beep, I think you just need to ground the wire. I did this when I installed my Poineer AVIC-Z.
No more beep!
I've heard that, just haven't gotten motivated to actually do anything about it yet. Bear in mind, I JUST got my horn fixed (the bushings wore out after 9 years) after spending 5 months with the fuse pulled to avoid the horn going off on each bump or brake. Based on that, I'll probably fix the stereo / ground wire issue sometime this winter :-)

Bob
Old 08-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I've heard that, just haven't gotten motivated to actually do anything about it yet. Bear in mind, I JUST got my horn fixed (the bushings wore out after 9 years) after spending 5 months with the fuse pulled to avoid the horn going off on each bump or brake. Based on that, I'll probably fix the stereo / ground wire issue sometime this winter :-)

Bob
I know how you feel, I have a short shift kit that I have been meaning to install for 3 months.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I know how you feel, I have a short shift kit that I have been meaning to install for 3 months.
WTF are you waiting for..... Christmas?
Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM
TdiRacing
Rennlist Member

Bob
Who did your install? A local place or chain like Best Buy...?
Old 08-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gota911
WTF are you waiting for..... Christmas?

Quite possibly, yes!
Old 08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Who did your install? A local place or chain like Best Buy...?

No... no... no....

Don't ever let those animals at best buy touch a Porsche!

Quick Reply: Best way to get AUX input to 1999 C2?