Sponsored by:

Battery dead, hood won't pop with jumper

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:58 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,696 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
Windshields are actually pretty easy to break from the inside....
Exactly! If I knew the car did NOT have manual door latches, then I'd keep a simple hammer under the seat. Windows can be replaced, but not a life. Sad the man couldn't figure out how to get out or at least scream for help. Again, unlatching the targa top would be my first option if no one was around to help. I owned those types of cars, and the tops were really easy to unlatched and open. The C6 has two main latches that pull out.... and, they're manual.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:05 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,696 Likes on 934 Posts

Ok, this just in... The C6 Corvette DOES have a emergency manual door release on the driver's side. (see picture - #4) Apparently, James Rogers did not know about this feature as do many that own these cars.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:11 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 709 Posts

Sheesh! Man can't get out of car because he doesn't know how to do it? What is the world coming to? A big red button with a clear indicator that plainly means "exit" car and he doesn't know it is there? I know it is way to much to say - read the f****** owners manual. It is a clear sign humanity as we know it is on the downslope, people so dependent on the fancy gizmos designed into the car that they can't even figure out, if something goes wrong, how to exit the car. We are most certainly doomed.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:21 PM
lingpoen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ormond beach has the answer, pull the front bumper. If I can do it, anyone can. Clean your radiators while ur @ it, and follow the cable from the switch, pull it from under the front passenger tire and drop it down by the horn. U won't have to play golf in your flip-flops ever again or go to a meeting without your laptop or worry about your battery dying, or...
Old 05-01-2020, 01:53 PM
Eric Scott
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Sorry, but I can't tell from your repsonse....did you try the jump at the fuse box with the key in the door?time to use the manual cable under the front passenger side wheel well...perhaps your latch mechanism is in need of adjustment.
DOES THE KEY HAVE TO BE IN THE DOOR!?!??!! I have this same problem. Battery dead for weeks, key battery is dead, put the key in ignition and it would not jump from the fuse box, took key out of ignition and would not jump. I guess the last thing to try is to put the key in the ignition? This car is driving me nuts; I didn't drive it b/c its a 997 convertible and it was raining all last month and cold out so I kept in the garage.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:07 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 709 Posts

Fish out the cable under the left rear tail light. Pull it and open the engine lid. Use the jumper points in the engine bay and jump the car from a 12V battery or another vehicle. As soon as you get this done, replace the battery because it is now useless. And, get a battery tender/maintainer and use it in the cigarette lighter. This is so simple to do if the car is going to sit for a month or a couple of months.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:37 PM
black04
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Hood won't open. The frunck lock servo motor

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Fish out the cable under the left rear tail light. Pull it and open the engine lid. Use the jumper points in the engine bay and jump the car from a 12V battery or another vehicle. As soon as you get this done, replace the battery because it is now useless. And, get a battery tender/maintainer and use it in the cigarette lighter. This is so simple to do if the car is going to sit for a month or a couple of months.
Has anyone explored the fact that it probably isn't the electrical system. If the donor battery doesn't work, the problem is likely the Frunck Latch Servo. Mine went bad after 6 years. It's a little motor with a mechanism. My problem was a shot motor. I could see where the mechanism could fail as well. Maybe the replacement servos have been upgraded.

The good old cable is pretty fool-proof. After I found it in the passenger side front wheel well. I re-routed it to my front grill.

And yes, it's silly to have an electronic mechanism to open the hood, which requires a manual backup, illustrating the fact that it always should/could have retained the manual setup

WHOOPS. A dead thread, but apparently this won't stop until all the 996 and boxsters are off the road

Quick Reply: Battery dead, hood won't pop with jumper